Rumour Police investigating Gary Ablett Snr for alleged 1970's assault

Remove this Banner Ad

Need an admission of guilt for this to go anywhere seeing there's only one victim, but as we've seen over the years one complaint can can burst the dam wall with others coming forward, most sexual preditors have more than one victim.

With no physical evidence and the only two people allegedly there when it happened only remembered it after being hypnotised later on in life... No-one (other than the two complainants) saw it or knew anything about it... what else is there after 30+ years??

Then that's got problems beyond being oath against oath. Recovered memory cases are inherently iffy and for that reason rarely proceed.

Doesn't necessarily match up to the situation here.

Need an admission of guilt for this to go anywhere seeing there's only one victim

Nope, given other complainants would be very unlikely to be in the same trial even if they do exist.

Then that's got problems beyond being oath against oath. Recovered memory cases are inherently iffy and for that reason rarely proceed.

Doesn't necessarily match up to the situation here.

Nope, given other complainants would be very unlikely to be in the same trial even if they do exist.
Really? So if 20 women come forward with similar stories they have to do it one at a time? One word against anothers is one thing but 1 against 20 is a completely different kettle of fish.

With no physical evidence and the only two people allegedly there when it happened only remembered it after being hypnotised later on in life... No-one (other than the two complainants) saw it or knew anything about it... what else is there after 30+ years??

It's a disgrace that this even went to trial.

Really? So if 20 women come forward with similar stories they have to do it one at a time? One word against anothers is one thing but 1 against 20 is a completely different kettle of fish.

There was a matter just last year where 16 complainants were split across 14 separate trials.

I did the maths, and Ablett was born in 1961, meaning that he would have been between 9 to 19 in the 70's (depending which year this was alleged to occur).

It said that the victim is 55 now. I think Ablett is 56-57. So he would have been one, maybe two years older than her.

Maybe they were both little kids, and he liked her and gave her a kiss on the cheek, as little kids do, and that today is considered sexual harrassment.

Or maybe he asked her on a date and she screamed "No. Get away from me, pervert" rather than just say that she isn't interested.
Serious question, how old are you?

Probs doesnt have the past history to be considered innocent straight off the bat by the public here. But he hasnt been proven in court to have raped her and until he is, he is innocent until proven guilty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mena Suvari would have doubts about whether he was really acting in American Beauty.

I know bugger all about acting and theatre, but for some reason always considered his performance in that role captivating. Have never thought that about his other films.

No other A-grade actors performance even came close. Was like the film was written for him. Now I know it was beyond acting and very real to him.

I know bugger all about acting and theatre, but for some reason always considered his performance in that role captivating. Have never thought that about his other films.

No other A-grade actors performance even came close. Was like the film was written for him. Now I know it was beyond acting and very real to him.
Brilliant film. It's a really sad and disturbing scenario what's come to light lately.

Did you know Chevy Chase was the second pick to play that part? I'd have thought he'd be amazing as well.

And it only takes one to get the snowball rolling down the hill. Just like Weinstein. Who knows how many assaults have occurred at their hands. Disturbing.

It's such a difficult area - it's impossible in most cases to know what has happened.

When I was a kid I could never understand why the lady next door used to wear high neck long sleeved clothes sometimes in the middle of summer, and why the kids had really bad nervous ticks and why my dad would get really upset and not talk the husband and why my parents would do so much to help the lady including the night they took her to hospital and be sad when they talked about her. They obviously hated what was going on but back then it was assumed to be the husbands right to manage his family as he saw fit.

I had a great role models on this issue and I'm really glad times are changing. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty - but in these changing times there are still lots of people around who experienced events that are not acceptable now.

I can't see anyone (not talking specific reported incidents like this one) ever being held accountable for things that may or may not have happened many years ago in a cultural landscape that accepted violence. It is all he said, she said but that doesn't mean that all claims are vexatious. Maybe saying it out loud is a person's way of moving on or they might be deranged enough to make up stores from decades ago. I'll never know, but my personal experience says when this type of story surface I feel sad for all parties involved.

What people have to remember is, that the law has it as "innocent until proven guilty" and that is what determines if someone gets off, gets punished or even goes to jail.

The court of "public opinion" where a celebrity is rich and successful, so is guilty until proven innocent, doesn't determine if someone ACTUALLY committed a crime or not.

That is why exonarating is important for mine. Because once an allegation is out there, you are "guilty" by the court of public opinion, and the mud never goes away. I mean, there are still some who think Lindy Chamberlain, rather than a dingo, killed Azaria Chamberlain.

Why do murderers and other criminals get their name suppressed, and the media coverage on them is limited, but when a celebrity does it, it is all over the papers. Either give blanket coverage to all, whether famous or not, when it comes to an allegation, or suppress all coverage until the person is proven guilty.

It seems to many, the biggest crime these days is being famous.

Kevin was one of my favourite actors, highly doubt we'll be seeing him again though.

I don't know.

An industry that applauds loudly at the Academy Awards when known sex predator Roman Polanski wins a directorial Oscar for "The Pianist", then things are easily forgiven.

Wait until the dust settles.

What people have to remember is, that the law has it as "innocent until proven guilty" and that is what determines if someone gets off, gets punished or even goes to jail.

The court of "public opinion" where a celebrity is rich and successful, so is guilty until proven innocent, doesn't determine if someone ACTUALLY committed a crime or not.

That is why exonarating is important for mine. Because once an allegation is out there, you are "guilty" by the court of public opinion, and the mud never goes away. I mean, there are still some who think Lindy Chamberlain, rather than a dingo, killed Azaria Chamberlain.

Why do murderers and other criminals get their name suppressed, and the media coverage on them is limited, but when a celebrity does it, it is all over the papers. Either give blanket coverage to all, whether famous or not, when it comes to an allegation, or suppress all coverage until the person is proven guilty.

It seems to many, the biggest crime these days is being famous.

Fame isn't free is it. When you earn your dollars from public interest you can't limit access unfortunately. Courts are generally open and court lists are published but the journalists only on report what they think the public want to know - what will sell papers and subscriptions and advertising spaces.

Whenever I see these type of headlines I figure give it a year or two and there might be real information available - either it disappears or the police gather sufficient evidence and charges are laid and we have a better idea of what actually didn't or did occur. Until then it is just a piece of gossip that doesn't reflect on either party - yet.

I don't know.

An industry that applauds loudly at the Academy Awards when known sex predator Roman Polanski wins a directorial Oscar for "The Pianist", then things are easily forgiven.

Wait until the dust settles.

I unlike this post cause its spot on. Personal gain of fame and fortune against moral stance. Still better to wave the flag occasionally. This one is big though so maybe it is time for actual real change. Would love that to be true so my daughter has a good chop at whatever it is she gets interested in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back