Rumour Police investigating Gary Ablett Snr for alleged 1970's assault

Remove this Banner Ad

Fame isn't free is it. When you earn your dollars from public interest you can't limit access unfortunately. Courts are generally open and court lists are published but the journalists only on report what they think the public want to know - what will sell papers and subscriptions and advertising spaces.

Whenever I see these type of headlines I figure give it a year or two and there might be real information available - either it disappears or the police gather sufficient evidence and charges are laid and we have a better idea of what actually didn't or did occur. Until then it is just a piece of gossip that doesn't reflect on either party - yet.

What is wrong with earning money? Why does that mean that you longer are entitled to basic rights?

CEOS, doctors, lawyers, and entertainers get paid lots of money as well. How come I don't hear about them as widely in the press when they are charged with something?

When is the last time we have heard of a doctor being sued for malpractice all over the media, yet they make a lot of money, and carry more responsibility than an AFL footballer?

Besides, many footy journos are on big contracts with TV and radio stations, so they aren't crying poor. How about they report on each other when one of them commit an offence, and their job is more irrelevant than football, which actually requires talent.

What is wrong with earning money? Why does that mean that you longer are entitled to basic rights?

CEOS, doctors, lawyers, and entertainers get paid lots of money as well. How come I don't hear about them as widely in the press when they are charged with something?

When is the last time we have heard of a doctor being sued for malpractice all over the media, yet they make a lot of money, and carry more responsibility than an AFL footballer?

Besides, many footy journos are on big contracts with TV and radio stations, so they aren't crying poor. How about they report on each other when one of them commit an offence, and their job is more irrelevant than football, which actually requires talent.
Because football is the entertainment, and the media 'manage' that entertainment so that certain information about certain people is released in order to drive revenue.

Doctors & CEO's aren't public property, unless they're the heads of publicly listed companies.

You gotta wonder whether GAJ being a religious whackadoo has something to do with his father being such a knob. Like maybe a scared-straight type situation.

Not really, it has more to do with GAS being a longtime religious whackadoo too.
Ah got to love the catholic whackadoos*.

Can do anything you want wrong as long as you prey for forgiveness the next Sunday

*I'm from a very catholic whackadoo family, just don't care about it personally

Last edited:
Ah got to love the catholic whackadoos*.
Can do anything you want wrong as long as you prey for forgiveness the next Sunday

*I'm from a very catholic whackadoo family, just don't care about it personally
Actually both Ablett Snr and Jnr are Baptists (i.e. basically the polar opposite of Catholics). Neither have ever been Catholics.

"Victoria Police detectives reportedly interviewed his alleged victim, now aged in their 50s, on at least two separate occasions this year"

Typo or is their more than one victim?

Just sloppy grammar to avoid saying "his" or "her". But it's since emerged that the alleged victim is female.

That woman must have had a pretty boring life to make something (so trivial to her over the last 40 years) non-trivial all of a sudden.

Could of picked her timing better unless she was waiting to hit him at his lowest.

That woman must have had a pretty boring life to make something (so trivial to her over the last 40 years) non-trivial all of a sudden.

Could of picked her timing better unless she was waiting to hit him at his lowest.

Maybe for the first time in a long time, women are being taken seriously when reporting historic sexual assaults and hence they feel they can actually come forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or maybe he raped her. Don't see how you can automatically place the woman in the wrong - plenty of women, men and children have been raped and abused and not gone to the police because of the era, being scared and lack of self confidence. Right now there are a lot of social changes happening that are giving these people the confidence to speak out. I

Don't see how you can automatically assume that she is right, either.

Firstly, if the police think there is a case to answer, then he will be charged. He will then face court. Until then, he is "innocent until PROVEN guilty".

The problem this woman has is that it is her word against his.

If more and more cases emerge, saying the same thing, then I will tend to believe them more. It is harder for a group of people to all make things up, and to together accuse someone of something than it is for one person, and it is easier to get a conviction as well.

Me too, and AB is one of my favourite films. This business of sexual assaults has just come to the surface in a big way. It's like it's been this buried monster forever and now it's all out in the open.

Slightly off topic, but Kevin Spacey and Dustin Hoffman are two of the finest actors I have ever seen in film, and both are accused of sexual harrasment or worse.

It makes me wonder if this shows how good actors they are, but convincing us for years that they were different than how they have been now shown as.

The ultimate "Academy Award" performances by them in hiding this side of themselves from the public for decades.

Because football is the entertainment, and the media 'manage' that entertainment so that certain information about certain people is released in order to drive revenue.

Doctors & CEO's aren't public property, unless they're the heads of publicly listed companies.

Which is what is wrong in society.

I would say that a doctor who commits malpractice, or a CEO who gets paid millions while firing a lot of workers, has serious consequences as well. So why don't the media report them, and name these people as well?

When is the last time the news mentioned a malpractice suit, or a disgraced doctor?

I think the media steers clear on reporting on some types. They don't want to expose a doctor, and down the track, the same reporter might be on an operating table, at the mercy of a surgeon. Write a bad report on the medical profession, and it is very easy for the surgeon's scalpel hand to slip in surgery on the reporter.

Also, lawyers and judges and never scrutinised, because the media need to keep them on side, for next time they get sued for defamation.

I would say that a doctor who commits malpractice, or a CEO who gets paid millions while firing a lot of workers, has serious consequences as well. So why don't the media report them, and name these people as well?

When is the last time the news mentioned a malpractice suit, or a disgraced doctor?

I think the media steers clear on reporting on some types. They don't want to expose a doctor, and down the track, the same reporter might be on an operating table, at the mercy of a surgeon. Write a bad report on the medical profession, and it is very easy for the surgeon's scalpel hand to slip in surgery on the reporter.

Also, lawyers and judges and never scrutinised, because the media need to keep them on side, for next time they get sued for defamation.
Doctors do get reported and maybe not for malpractice but sexual assaults etc

Society is less interested in those people though, because they don't drive entertainment and promote revenue through it. Whereas athletes do. Whether it negative or positive there is always a journalist feeding at the bottom looking for a story to sell papers.

Society is less interested in those people though, because they don't drive entertainment and promote revenue through it. Whereas athletes do. Whether it negative or positive there is always a journalist feeding at the bottom looking for a story to sell papers.

I would have thought that people, many who visit doctors, would be very interested if the practicioner that they trust is up to the job, since decisions by doctor can be the difference between living and dying.

The consequences for a doctor stuffing up are far more dangerous than anything an AFL footballer can ever do. The standard for a doctor should be higher, so therefore, it should be a bigger deal when they do something wrong than when a footballer does, whose actions never killed anyone.

Decisions by lawyers and judges can make a criminal walk, or get an innocent person jailed. Decisions by CEOs to fire hundreds of workers, can lead to the breakdown of marriages, and in some cases, suicides.

I consider these professions far more important than sportsman, so do many in society. Yet we seem less concerned with dodgy doctors, lawyers, and other highly-paid professionals, than we do on talented people who are playing to make money.

Name and shame dodgy doctors, lawyers, judges and other professionals who aren't doing the job society requires from them. The media need to highlight this, to protect society from them.

It's because most people are generally self-focused, and want to see a sportsperson fail, so that they can feel morally superior, and "better" than that sportsperson, since they can't beat them on talent, fame, money etc. Schaudenfrede is the only thing that stops many losers from feeling completely inferior and useless. Many of these people are probably also sociopaths, so they don't care if a doctor kills someone on the table through imcompetence, unless it affects them directly. The media also don't want to piss off the doctors, lawyers and judges, because they might need them down the track.

I would have thought that people, many who visit doctors, would be very interested if the practicioner that they trust is up to the job, since decisions by doctor can be the difference between living and dying.

The consequences for a doctor stuffing up are far more dangerous than anything an AFL footballer can ever do. The standard for a doctor should be higher, so therefore, it should be a bigger deal when they do something wrong than when a footballer does, whose actions never killed anyone.

Decisions by lawyers and judges can make a criminal walk, or get an innocent person jailed. Decisions by CEOs to fire hundreds of workers, can lead to the breakdown of marriages, and in some cases, suicides.

I consider these professions far more important than sportsman, so do many in society. Yet we seem less concerned with dodgy doctors, lawyers, and other highly-paid professionals, than we do on talented people who are playing to make money.

Name and shame dodgy doctors, lawyers, judges and other professionals who aren't doing the job society requires from them. The media need to highlight this, to protect society from them.

It's because most people are generally self-focused, and want to see a sportsperson fail, so that they can feel morally superior, and "better" than that sportsperson, since they can't beat them on talent, fame, money etc. Schaudenfrede is the only thing that stops many losers from feeling completely inferior and useless. Many of these people are probably also sociopaths, so they don't care if a doctor kills someone on the table through imcompetence, unless it affects them directly. The media also don't want to piss off the doctors, lawyers and judges, because they might need them down the track.
You're in here, a football forum discussing footballers. Are you also in medical forums discussing doctors? They don't interest you? That makes you normal. The media aren't interested because people aren't interested.

You're in here, a football forum discussing footballers. Are you also in medical forums discussing doctors? They don't interest you? That makes you normal. The media aren't interested because people aren't interested.

There was an article about a surgeon burning his initials 'SB' into livers he was operating on the other day. Stood down when another surgeon found it when the liver transplant failed.

Sometimes you need to read the front half of the paper, not just the comics.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back