Current Wiembilla Shootings * The FBI arrests an Arizona man

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any truth to the rumour that the police/government wanted them out of the property but they wouldn't sell? Something to do with a nearby gasfield and the plans involved laying pipes which would've travelled through their land. Would've dismissed it as rubbish, but I do remember the news a day or so after the event mentioning the property was going to be bought by the government and not put up for sale to the public etc...

Sounds legit

The idea for the government to purchase it was raised by the Police Union, rather than the government itself.
Seem to remember it was some idea of using it as a retreat (not sure that's the correct term) for Police suffering PTSD.

Seems like the location of such a tragedy would not be likely to help and probably the opposite, IMO.

Seem to remember it was some idea of using it as a retreat (not sure that's the correct term) for Police suffering PTSD.

Seems like the location of such a tragedy would not be likely to help and probably the opposite, IMO.
Who does it belong to, legally? The relatives? I don’t think anyone else has a moral right to it.

Who does it belong to, legally? The relatives? I don’t think anyone else has a moral right to it.

In some circumstances property can be seized or forfeited, I'm not sure exactly how it's done but the Police Union has asked the government's help in the acquisition.

The reasons stated are in the link below. Given the reports of crime through that area and the sov citizen type signage that's gone up in the towns, a bit more police activity/visibility probably isn't a bad idea and they can do some PR.

Union wants to prevent bushland site where two officers were shot dead from falling into hands of conspiracy theorists.

“The QPU would never want to see this land fall into the hands of any other anti-vaxxer, pro-gun conspiracy theorist, sovereign citizens who may seek to utilise the reputation of this site to promote their own dangerous and warped views,” said union head Ian Leaver.

Leavers told the Courier-Mail the land could be used for a retreat for officers, a training centre and be the site of a memorial.

The government is reportedly considering the proposal.

In some circumstances property can be seized or forfeited

The Crime Commission I think can do it under 'proceeds of crime' which wouldn't apply here and victims of crime may have a case but I don't think the Police Union are suggesting it be seized under any of those mechanisms, they want to pay for it.

The police do buy property for various reasons, so does the government.

In some circumstances property can be seized or forfeited, I'm not sure exactly how it's done but the Police Union has asked the government's help in the acquisition.

The reasons stated are in the link below. Given the reports of crime through that area and the sov citizen type signage that's gone up in the towns, a bit more police activity/visibility probably isn't a bad idea and they can do some PR.

Union wants to prevent bushland site where two officers were shot dead from falling into hands of conspiracy theorists.

“The QPU would never want to see this land fall into the hands of any other anti-vaxxer, pro-gun conspiracy theorist, sovereign citizens who may seek to utilise the reputation of this site to promote their own dangerous and warped views,” said union head Ian Leaver.

Leavers told the Courier-Mail the land could be used for a retreat for officers, a training centre and be the site of a memorial.

The government is reportedly considering the proposal.

I’m a bit uneasy about this proposal. What about Alan Dare’s property next door as well? His wife may want to sell up.

Might be another one with residents evacuated.

Police have declared an emergency after reports of gunfire at Tara on Queensland's Western Downs.

Officers responded to reports of shots fired at 3:30pm on Wednesday.

An emergency declaration was made at 5:30pm.

Police said no-one has been injured, but an area has been locked down, and several residents have been evacuated.

They've sent police tacticals in.

Police have made an emergency declaration and are hunting for a shooter after reports two officers were fired at in Tara, about three hours west of Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the Trains also have children, as well as parents. What a burden for them.

The three of them were so selfish. The families of people who commit awful crimes can really suffer. I'm glad she's spoken up, it might help her moving forward and break some ground for her brother as well as going to our collective better understanding.

info sharing on higher risk individuals
Cue the revelations/allegations from Madelyn Train tonight.

'Police killers’ daughter tells of phone call hours before parents started shooting'

'January 23, 2023 — 6.51pm'

'Madelyn had received a voicemail from a Walgett policeman about two hours before the Trains shot the constables, asking her to call him back. Madelyn said she had missed the call because she was at work but had planned to call back.

“I think they were contacting us to ask if Nathaniel was missing and to get contextual information,” she said.

“But they never should have sent anyone there until they got all the contextual information.”'

Police were preparing a report for the coroner, who would consider how Queensland and NSW police worked together, and how officers were briefed before attending the property.'
'She said Nathaniel’s former wife Vanessa – before he left her and his job in NSW as a principal – had warned police before the shooting.

“She told police officers that there was a mistrust of police, like [Gareth] had a mistrust of police, and then the NSW police force apparently did not disclose that to Queensland Police Service,” she said.'

Cue the revelations/allegations from Madelyn Train tonight.

'Police killers’ daughter tells of phone call hours before parents started shooting'

'January 23, 2023 — 6.51pm'

'Madelyn had received a voicemail from a Walgett policeman about two hours before the Trains shot the constables, asking her to call him back. Madelyn said she had missed the call because she was at work but had planned to call back.

“I think they were contacting us to ask if Nathaniel was missing and to get contextual information,” she said.

“But they never should have sent anyone there until they got all the contextual information.”'

Police were preparing a report for the coroner, who would consider how Queensland and NSW police worked together, and how officers were briefed before attending the property.'
'She said Nathaniel’s former wife Vanessa – before he left her and his job in NSW as a principal – had warned police before the shooting.

“She told police officers that there was a mistrust of police, like [Gareth] had a mistrust of police, and then the NSW police force apparently did not disclose that to Queensland Police Service,” she said.'
There is an astounding lack of information-sharing between state police forces and agencies.

She contradicts herself. I’m sure she said on Sunday night that there were no indications that they would do something like this. Then she says last night that the cops should have waited for contextual information.

Also didn’t believe that her mother fired on police.
There's always hindsight, isn't there. Whether her mother fired on police or not, two officers were killed in cold blood; the SWAT team wouldn't have been asking any questions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back