The Law Police

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Had enough of being a soldier?
Sort of. Had enough of the specific role I was in but didn't want to move again which limited what I could do. Also figured if I didn't leave I probably never would. Was a good time to get out and start something new. Still work part time for Army constantly - helped pay the bills during study - and probably will for the long term.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
What, precisely, am I watching there, Shan? Is it for real? Is it a mockup? The cop that got grabbed; was he injured? Place the video in its context, please.

Incident from earlier this month where a man was behaving erratically and/or threatening people and the police were called in Georgia. Think he wanted to commit suicide by police shooting (something that happens sometimes - must be horrible for the police).

Police confronted him, he refused to drop the butcher knife and rushed them. Cop 1 shoots while backing up and drops the guy but doesn't kill him. He gets up and rushes them again and catches the second cop off-guard going for a taser or something instead (no idea why). Cop sustained minor injuries but is OK and the suspect was shot again until he went sleepy time.

The context of the comments in quotation marks in the tweet are to point out the sometimes stupid things people say about these situations, like questioning why police shoot someone with a knife and how far away they are ("He wasn't a threat! They should have talked him down"!) etc. One of my personal favourites is "Why don't they aim for the legs?!"

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Incident from earlier this month where a man was behaving erratically and/or threatening people and the police were called in Georgia. Think he wanted to commit suicide by police shooting (something that happens sometimes - must be horrible for the police).

Police confronted him, he refused to drop the butcher knife and rushed them. Cop 1 shoots while backing up and drops the guy but doesn't kill him. He gets up and rushes them again and catches the second cop off-guard going for a taser or something instead (no idea why). Cop sustained minor injuries but is OK and the suspect was shot again until he went sleepy time.
That's horrible. What an awful situation for those police.

It's always down to the judgement of the officers in question. You put up a great video six months ago about a Malaysian cop (I think) talking a bloke with a knife down by appealing to their common humanity; you've got officers who can and have gone completely too far at different times, using their discretion as a weapon and throwing the book at people for their own reasons.

I don't know the answer. Anything else I can say will sound platitudinous or trite.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
That's horrible. What an awful situation for those police.

It's always down to the judgement of the officers in question. You put up a great video six months ago about a Malaysian cop (I think) talking a bloke with a knife down by appealing to their common humanity; you've got officers who can and have gone completely too far at different times, using their discretion as a weapon and throwing the book at people for their own reasons.

I don't know the answer. Anything else I can say will sound platitudinous or trite.
Yeah exactly - there's a reason police and other similar organisations have standard operating procedures for things like that: it's because all things being equal, there is an optimal way to react to ensure the minimum number of people get hurt. But these incidents are anything but orderly and there really isn't any such thing as 'standard' when someone is behaving abnormal. I loved that video of the SE Asian officer you mentioned, but it was a huge risk too. Could you imagine the comments and shitstorm that would have occurred if the guy he talked down escalated the situation instead? If the cop wasn't killed, he would wish he was dead after for letting people get hurt.

It's little wonder why police are perceived as erring on protecting their own. What a job. And, people rarely understand the realities of its worst aspects.

Of course, the usual caveats applies regarding police who just blatantly do the wrong thing. There's no excuse for that, and very rarely forgiveness.

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Actually I just saw my man Donut has just covered this incident.

Point to note that the cop who was grabbed by the guy is fine - the suspect had dropped the knife already and was going for his gun. As well as the info in Donut's video, another learning point is about the effect of video editing! You blur the suspect and cut the video with the officer face down on the ground and you naturally fear the worst!

Also explains why they went to try to taser him.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Well... Not really. Still moving, which is the issue. And then you're closing the gap which is the opposite to what you want when someone is running at you with a weapon.

He had a hand gun (& probably 17 bullets looking at it).

It wasn't even a contest.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda

The teen’s face hit the pavement with a sickening thud.​
Bryce Masters, then 17, couldn’t break his fall. His arms were handcuffed behind his back and he was already in cardiac arrest from the Taser prongs embedded in his chest.​
Only the quick work of paramedics and doctors kept Masters alive after the incident, which led to a former Independence officer’s federal conviction on a charge of violating the teen’s constitutional rights.​
On Thursday, for the first time since that September 2014 encounter, Masters faced former officer Timothy Runnels and described the effects of the brain damage — caused by a lack of oxygen —he probably will contend with for the rest of his life.​

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
I should have put a disclaimer, sorry.

Shared with me by a cop friend who thinks it should be used in training. Says they do a ton of sort-of empathy training. Forget the what it's called.
No apologies needed - trigger warnings do absolutely nothing. People don't need them.

That's what stood out about the cop's behaviour - zero willingness to speak to the people in the car. Just went straight to "comply or tazer".

Unless the video was edited short of course. But still.. zero care for the safety of the kid.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Seriously, this is why I'm happy i don't live in America. Trigger happy to the max. Scared of a barking dog? Wtf!

And the last line, "Maam get a hold of your dog.".

Spoiler alert, she can't cos she's dead.

This is the price the state will accept in order to keep you complying with its commands.

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Seriously, this is why I'm happy i don't live in America. Trigger happy to the max. Scared of a barking dog? Wtf!

spoiler alert
Australia is a police state
Spoiler alert
want 2 see the future ? look at America....thatz us in 5-20 years.

Just yesterday some fek in Taree NSW got shot dead by people doing their job keeping us safe, job doing, shooting us dead

The data on police shootings in this campaignerry the last 2 years has jumped up....
5-20 America

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets

Yeah police here are scared of dogs too

spoiler alert
Australia is a police state
Spoiler alert
want 2 see the future ? look at America....thatz us in 5-20 years.

Just yesterday some fek in Taree NSW got shot dead by people doing their job keeping us safe, job doing, shooting us dead

The data on police shootings in this campaignerry the last 2 years has jumped up....
5-20 America

You see those as analogous?
Seriously?

I totally support the use of police weapons when they are attacked by people armed with weapons.
We'd need more cops than citizens if we are going to restrain everyone with hugs.

Back