Society/Culture Political Correctness is the Scourge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Moderator #3,327
Different culture. I have seen interviews with people high up in the US military referring to the journalist conducting the interview as sir or ma'am constantly, even though they could be considered to be "above" said journalist. I kind of like the respect shown.

But in this case, I feel that you're right. As soon as someone behaves this way, they lose the right to be shown such respect. Retail and hospitality workers have a tough gig, being forced to speak kindly to assholes.

Even the couple of nurses I know here feel compelled to always be polite to abusive patients... f*** that. A nurse friend worked Christmas and got abused by a drug OD patient all night. Fancy sacrificing Christmas with your family to help someone (who is receiving care for free) and being treated that way.
If you watch that other video with the douche in the Trump T Shirt and the shrieking anti-trumper - Trump T Shirt starts saying "I'll call corporate - you just ruined your life - you assaulted me".

Holy crap - the guy is twice the size of his 'attacker' but the shrieker still feels compelled to serve this arsehole, who's only goal is to cause trouble and film it. That kind of power imbalance is truly gross - and the whole sir/maam crap is such a clear symptom of it.

You see in US shows all the time, service staff gritting their teeth and saying "Sir - I'm going to have to ask you to leave". I see it creeping in here in Australia a bit too. At least our service workers don't have to beg for tips.

twotooto

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
Agreed. The 'Trump' guy was clearly baiting the guy behind the counter. He probably knew what he was about and deliberately went in with the intention of winding him up.

But the reaction of the guy behind the counter was way the **** OTT. The screeching was both hilarious and ridiculous. How people get so wound up over which political party someone supports is equally hilarious and ridiculous. I actually have friends who won't talk to each other just because of their political persuasion and it's not even about politics in Australia. Good lord!

Anyway, funniest bit was watching the black dude through the whole thing. He was like, "what the **** have I just walked in to". Lmfao.

FireKraquora

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Holy crap - the guy is twice the size of his 'attacker' but the shrieker still feels compelled to serve this arsehole, who's only goal is to cause trouble and film it. That kind of power imbalance is truly gross - and the whole sir/maam crap is such a clear symptom of it.
But he didn't serve him... he screeched "REEEE" and swung at him, twice. While Trump man remained calm and didn't retaliate physically.

The left were up in arms about a baker not making a custom wedding cake for a gay guy, you can't have it both ways.

I agree that the clerk shouldn't be compelled to call him sir, or even serve him after he was called an "FWit". But the double standards here are hilarious!

It shouldn't be taboo to wear a Trump shirt. Trump's approval is higher than Obama's at the same stage of his presidency, there are 100 million+ supporters across the US. No one would've batted an eyelid at someone wearing an Obama shirt. Hence, PC gone mad.

PurpleEyes

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle

Snake_Baker

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pfffft, as if!

FireKraquora

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
This white guy released an acoustic cover of Wu Tang's song "Shame on a N****". Wu Tang liked it so much that they shared it on their official youtube account, despite it featuring a white guy using the N word constantly.

(Language warning on both vids)

Compare this to Kendrick Lamar a couple of weeks earlier, inviting a white woman on stage to sing one of his songs. When she drops the N word, Kendrick stops her and the crowd become enraged.

"They gonna try to make black and white go against each other.
Which they can't, because we already having a good time." ODB, Wu Tang Clan.

Which reaction was more appropriate and unifying?

AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you watch that other video with the douche in the Trump T Shirt and the shrieking anti-trumper - Trump T Shirt starts saying "I'll call corporate - you just ruined your life - you assaulted me".

You see in US shows all the time, service staff gritting their teeth and saying "Sir - I'm going to have to ask you to leave". I see it creeping in here in Australia a bit too. At least our service workers don't have to beg for tips.
I don't know why liberals get triggered so easily by people wearing MAGA hats. The left are so radicalised to the point where they don't even know it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Coming to Australia soon.

The end goal of these dangerous far left politicians is communism. Dumbing down the population with brainwashing techniques starting in school, and flooding their country with refugees and third world immigrants who'll end up voting for them no matter what. Never vote for far left parties.

Carringbush2010

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I find it amusing re: the free speech issue being discussed. What it seems that a lot are assuming their idea of "free speech" or "free hate speech" is what the norm view is. That is so simplistic and naive it is not funny and in fact kind of dangerous if there is a large vocal minority(s) that think this way - and there are on both extremes of the left and the right.

For example its free real estate threw an example of "women don't have penises" as a possibility of "hate speech" and then nicky replied that was ridiculous i:e implied that that is not an example of hate speech.

What nicky is forgetting is that some would take offence to that although a very small percentile, for example radical feminists might find that offensive. Assuming that no one would find that offensive is either naive or ignorant.

Point is that whatever anyone does or says someone somewhere is going to take offence to that action or speech.

By further extension, if we want to protect and include everyone (that means everyone) then surely that means we have to do away with speech and communication altogether.

Yeah I know I'm gonna get replies of ridicule but if we're going to actually "limit" speech we're going into a very grey area that would almost be impossible to police because it is clearly evident that every ones idea of what is acceptable and what is not is so varied.

It's not a one size fits all people, I'm all for speaking your mind and I'm all for the consequences of speaking your mind, for example if you're a dick head white supremacist who goes on talk back inciting violence against anyone that is not white then I'm all for the state taking control of said dick head and give what is due (believe the state has powers to do this)

By the same token I'm not for the state regulating speech by a white middle class male expressing concerns on talk back about Sudanese youths car jacking and home invasions.

But hey that's my view and would vary very differently from the white supremacist or the radical feminist, they're people too right? They have a right to airing their views right?

Oh that's right their views don't count because it's not "my" view so we can't include or protect them,.

Leeda

Talons B Sharp
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tim Paine, Tim Cahill
sorry I am indescribably and yu can't understand me because I am wanting to catch up with a level of nicely... there we go... trash a party...

Top Bottom