Play Nice Politics #3 - Covideo killed the radio star

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a hunch Warren will be it. I thought Inslee did very well in his debate. I'm wondering about Veep too. You'd think the lower-rating candidates would start jockeying for position soon

Hopefully they don't pick someone this time who's on the nose with voters like Clinton was.

It should have been Bernie Sanders in 2016 as Clinton was always going to be a very tough sell to voters.

Hopefully they don't pick someone this time who's on the nose with voters like Clinton was.

It should have been Bernie Sanders in 2016 as Clinton was always going to be a very tough sell to voters.

I think the Democrats would only have that problem if they picked Biden. No one else has any baggage like that - Harris a tiny bit from her prosecutorial days, but that's really it i think.

And Clinton may have been a tough sell, but she did get nearly 3,000,000 more votes. What she needed was a smarter sell to get some of those mid-West states.

I think the Democrats would only have that problem if they picked Biden. No one else has any baggage like that - Harris a tiny bit from her prosecutorial days, but that's really it i think.

And Clinton may have been a tough sell, but she did get nearly 3,000,000 more votes. What she needed was a smarter sell to get some of those mid-West states.

Keep in mind that the votes in the primaries are only for registered DNC voters and are not always representative of the country as a whole. Clinton also had the establishment behind her which would have helped her cause as well with attracting votes in the primaries.

One thing that was almost an omen in retrospect was a poll that I remember seeing during the primaries that suggested that the only potential path to victory for the GOP was if it was Trump Vs Clinton. They claimed that the polls suggested that Sanders would have won against Cruz/Kasich/Trump, but Clinton would have only won against Cruz/Kasich and a Trump VS Clinton showdown would be too close to call.

I think we're arguing at cross-purposes here - Clinton received nearly 3,000,000 more votes, so she couldn't have been on the nose with voters - she just didn't get voters in the right *places*.

Wonder if the Democrats will work that out this time.

I think we're arguing at cross-purposes here - Clinton received nearly 3,000,000 more votes, so she couldn't have been on the nose with voters - she just didn't get voters in the right *places*.

Wonder if the Democrats will work that out this time.

Sorry, I thought you meant in the primaries.

Yeah as the Dems found out the hard way, it doesn't matter how many votes you pick up in New York, California, Massachusetts etc. if you're losing everywhere else.

The Democrats pulled huge numbers in their stronghold states, but it meant little when a majority of other states were voting for the GOP.

I am beginning to doubt whether the 2020 election will be any different, none of the Democrat nominees really envoke much excitement at all and it's looking inevitable that Trump will be getting a second term.

Last edited:
none of the Democrat nominees really envoke much excitement at all and it's looking inevitable that Trump will be getting a second term.

Biden - more like uncle you don't want to be embarrased about
Booker - non-entity
Buttigieg - interesting non-entity
de Blasio - just not liked enough
Delaney - he's an odd one
Gabbard - interesting but won't get traction
Gillibrand - loud but behind the pack
Harris - at the front of the pack
Hickenlooper - nope
Inslee - was suprised, thought he did well in the first debate.
Klobuchar - yeah, but nah
O'Rourke - no
Sanders - his time has passed, maybe
Swalwell - no
Warren - front-runner for me, seems to be getting some social media traction and being taken seriously
Yang - interesting but won't happen

If I had to guess now, I'd say

Warren
Harris
Biden
Inslee

as the final four. Which leaves the rest of them for endorsements and possible Veep nominations. You'd think Warren and Harris would want a dependable older white man for voters, Biden would probably want a woman, Inslee anything for a point of difference.

Interestingly, I recall reading recently that Pence isn't likely to be Trump's VP in 2020, he wants someone else who's name escapes me

Booker - non-entity
Hickenlooper - nope
O'Rourke - no
Swalwell - no
Warren - front-runner for me, seems to be getting some social media traction and being taken seriously

Warren
Harris
Biden
Inslee

as the final four. Which leaves the rest of them for endorsements and possible Veep nominations. You'd think Warren and Harris would want a dependable older white man for voters, Biden would probably want a woman, Inslee anything for a point of difference.

Interestingly, I recall reading recently that Pence isn't likely to be Trump's VP in 2020, he wants someone else who's name escapes me

I heard that Harris performed very strongly and surprised many people with how she presented herself.

I would imagine that being a former prosecutor she would be in her element in a debate scenario.

Hopefully the name you heard wasn't Tucker Carlson, I did hear his name mentioned as a potential running mate for 2020 and didn't know whether they were joking or not.

Last edited:
I heard that Harris performed very strongly and surprised many people with how she presented herself.

I would imagine that being a former prosecutor she would be in her element in a debate scenario.

Hopefully the name you heard wasn't Tucker Carlson, I did hear his name mentioned as a potential running mate for 2020 and didn't know whether they were joking or not.

Screen-Shot-2018-10-12-at-10.15.20-AM.png

I don't recall, I wish i did, but hey Ivanka with her long history of handbag-design-theft, should be a shoe-in

Booker - non-entity
Hickenlooper - nope
O'Rourke - no
Swalwell - no

Warren
Harris
Biden
Inslee

Is that Warren you're referring to Pocahontas Warren? 🏹

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep in mind that the votes in the primaries are only for registered DNC voters and are not always representative of the country as a whole. Clinton also had the establishment behind her which would have helped her cause as well with attracting votes in the primaries.

One thing that was almost an omen in retrospect was a poll that I remember seeing during the primaries that suggested that the only potential path to victory for the GOP was if it was Trump Vs Clinton. They claimed that the polls suggested that Sanders would have won against Cruz/Kasich/Trump, but Clinton would have only won against Cruz/Kasich and a Trump VS Clinton showdown would be too close to call.
I remember that, Sanders looked like he'd win via polling everywhere. But... Clinton for some reason.
Sanders had some solid concepts around anti-corruption that may well have changed things for the greater good. Sliding doors moments.

So tax cuts are going to pass. Labor are morons. All that’s going to be remembered is they blocked tax cuts as they once again targeted high income earners.

Will they ever learn?

Interesting Germany now also struggling with their headlong rush into renewables.

France is heavily nuclear?? For CO2 minimisation and generation of required power it’s hard to beat it but the anti-nuclear religion is a hard one to budge. I want the planet to end up 100% renewable and I accept that electricity costs will increase as a result. But rapidly increasing electricity prices is unfair on the many people who live from week to week. Having said that, part of the solution is demand reduction and higher prices do that. But there’s only so far that it’s reasonable to expect people to reduce usage.

It may have helped her if Clinton actually went to some of those states rather than ignore those states which would have been on her side but she didn't both to visit like Wisconsin which she lost by 23,000 votes (0.67%) and Michigan 11,000 votes (0.23%).

So tax cuts are going to pass. Labor are morons. All that’s going to be remembered is they blocked tax cuts as they once again targeted high income earners.

Will they ever learn?

I don’t have a problem with their position. Legislating for tax cuts for high earners nearly 2 election cycles out seems stupid to me. I’d be more angry with the Coalition not separating the legislation so that the more important cuts can go through than I would Labor taking a principled stand on something that’s likely to come to bear while they’re in government. Still, they did win government and it pretty much their only policy that required a document rolling through the houses.

I don’t have a problem with their position. Legislating for tax cuts for high earners nearly 2 election cycles out seems stupid to me. I’d be more angry with the Coalition not separating the legislation so that the more important cuts can go through than I would Labor taking a principled stand on something that’s likely to come to bear while they’re in government. Still, they did win government and it pretty much their only policy that required a document rolling through the houses.
And yet it is going to pass and now Labor say they won’t block it. Too late, they’ve already lost the political capital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back