Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t think the planet warms and cools naturally? It has plenty of times in the past, why do you think it all of a sudden stops because humans have built a few million seaside homes? Have you got any scientific evidence as to this watershed moment when the planet ceased doing what it had done naturally numerous times?
* me

Is NASA scientific enough for you?

https://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resources/24/graphic-the-relentless-rise-of-carbon-dioxide/

24_co2-graph-051619.jpg

How does dispute the fact that the planet has warmed and cooled numerous times if its own accord? That’s a graph of co2 levels. I’m not disputing that we’re accelerating the process, in fact I stated it just a couple of posts ago completely unprompted.

Jesus Christ. What's the point of an economy if everyone's dead?

As for "That’s my one hope for this government, that they actually formulate a policy, backed with cash, that reduces our reliance on fossil fuels whilst creating jobs", they've been in power for six years already. Why the **** haven't they done anything yet?

Actually formulate a policy? They've had SIX YEARS.

Nobody is going to die from global warming.

As for "That’s my one hope for this government, that they actually formulate a policy, backed with cash, that reduces our reliance on fossil fuels whilst creating jobs", they've been in power for six years already. Why the **** haven't they done anything yet?

Ask the same of the opposition. They’ve had six years and all they came up with was a thought bubble with NFI on the cost to the economy.

And that is all you’ve got because there’s nowhere for you to go. You cannot dispute that very simple fact so your religion collapses. Answering yes or no, has the planet cooked and warmed in the past prior to the uprise of human civilisation?

Let me guess. “**** me”
Life's too short to get into online debates with people who can't be convinced. I am never again getting into discussions with anti-vaxxers, climate change deniers or conspiracy theorists. Too much stress. I was just genuinely shocked.

All the best!

And that is all you’ve got because there’s nowhere for you to go. You cannot dispute that very simple fact so your religion collapses. Answering yes or no, has the planet cooked and warmed in the past prior to the uprise of human civilisation?

Let me guess. “**** me”

Let me go further and ask you what life, prior to man, has had the intelligence and technology to terraform the planet as we have been doing since the industrial revolution?

I just don't see how billions of years of this planet existing before man somehow proves that our current path isn't causing massive damage to the planet.

It's amazing how the mentality of the world has changed. 30 years ago the erosion of the ozone layer was a trigger for everyone to act and everyone was happy that there was action, but 30 years on and we now have this sub-culture of skepticism trying to disprove science.

Let me go further and ask you what life, prior to man, has had the intelligence and technology to terraform the planet as we have been doing since the industrial revolution?

I just don't see how billions of years of this planet existing before man somehow proves that our current path isn't causing massive damage to the planet.

It's amazing how the mentality of the world has changed. 30 years ago the erosion of the ozone layer was a trigger for everyone to act and everyone was happy that there was action, but 30 years on and we now have this sub-culture of skepticism trying to disprove science.
And skepticism is good. Scientists are, and should be, skeptics. Holding beliefs without analysing the evidence is the main issue, or trying to be skeptical just because you believe in something, not evaluating it dispassionately.

So we will die because we didn’t adopt Labors uncosted climate policies? Or will we die from eating 10 Big Macs a day?

So we will die because we didn’t adopt Labors uncosted climate policies? Or will we die from eating 10 Big Macs a day?

No, we're going to die because we've pumped CO2 into the atmosphere with no concern for what it does to the planet, amongst other things.

Whether we adopt Labor's policies is immaterial. The Coalition have been in power for six years, what have they done to combat climate change? Besides wave a lump of coal around in parliament?

As for eating ten Big Macs a day, yes that may actually work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on these alleged "war crimes" that there's so much "controversy" going on over currently (The Afghan Files) can someone please explain why the LNP allegedly are seeking to cover up war crimes when they allegedly occurred in Afghanistan on Labor's watch between 2009 and 2013?

Quarterly Update of Australia's National Greenhouse Gas Inventory for December 2018
Department of the Environment and Energy, 2019

Australia’s emissions for the year to December 2018 were 14.2 per cent below the peak recorded in the year to June 2007, 0.4 per cent above emissions in 2000, and 11.9 per cent below emissions in 2005.
Emissions per capita, and the emissions intensity of the economy, were at their lowest levels in 29 years. Emissions per capita in the year to December 2018 have fallen 38.2 per cent since 1990, while the emissions intensity of the economy has fallen 61.4 per cent (Figure P1).
Annual emissions from the NEM for the year to March 2019 decreased 2.1 per cent on the previous year. Emissions from the NEM for the March 2019 quarter increased by 1.8 per cent on a seasonally adjusted and weather normalised basis3, and were unchanged at 0.0 per cent in trend terms.
Figure P1: Emissions per capita and per dollar of real GDP, year to December 1990 to 2018
figure-1-dec-2018.jpg

Source: Department of the Environment and Energy

Last edited:
Just on these alleged "war crimes" that there's so much "controversy" going on over currently (The Afghan Files) can someone please explain why the LNP allegedly are seeking to cover up war crimes when they allegedly occurred in Afghanistan on Labor's watch between 2009 and 2013?

Who's suggesting that they're attempting to cover this up?

If they were wanting to cover it up they would have tried it at the time. The story went public 2 years ago so that ship sailed long ago.

The issues as far as I am aware are over the timing of the raids (whether they were deliberately delayed until after the election) and also the raids themselves being conducted against the media.

What was Labor’s policy in terms of economic vision outside of negative gearing and franking credit changes. I suppose a policy on carbon reduction without knowing the negative impact on the economy counts as a vision. But not the kind of example you seem to be demanding of the coalition.
I didn't even vote Labor. Why are you bringing them into the conversation?

The government of the day has nothing new to bring to the table given the increasing challenges, yet this seems to be okay with you?

Even Labor's climate policies were insufficient.

How about we at least have an energy policy to begin with so that investors have some sort confidence? Can we all agree on that?

No, we're going to die because we've pumped CO2 into the atmosphere with no concern for what it does to the planet, amongst other things.

Whether we adopt Labor's policies is immaterial. The Coalition have been in power for six years, what have they done to combat climate change? Besides wave a lump of coal around in parliament?

As for eating ten Big Macs a day, yes that may actually work.
So if Australia stopped pumping CO2 into the atmosphere we’d live?

Even Labor's climate policies were insufficient.

How about we at least have an energy policy to begin with so that investors have some sort confidence? Can we all agree on that?

Yeah I can agree on that, as long as it doesn’t mean we * up our economy for no gain.

Labor treating SA as an experiment which resulted in us spending hundreds of millions of dollars on diesel generators has jaded me.

Quarterly Update of Australia's National Greenhouse Gas Inventory for December 2018
Department of the Environment and Energy, 2019

Australia’s emissions for the year to December 2018 were 14.2 per cent below the peak recorded in the year to June 2007, 0.4 per cent above emissions in 2000, and 11.9 per cent below emissions in 2005.
Emissions per capita, and the emissions intensity of the economy, were at their lowest levels in 29 years. Emissions per capita in the year to December 2018 have fallen 38.2 per cent since 1990, while the emissions intensity of the economy has fallen 61.4 per cent (Figure P1).
Annual emissions from the NEM for the year to March 2019 decreased 2.1 per cent on the previous year. Emissions from the NEM for the March 2019 quarter increased by 1.8 per cent on a seasonally adjusted and weather normalised basis3, and were unchanged at 0.0 per cent in trend terms.
Figure P1: Emissions per capita and per dollar of real GDP, year to December 1990 to 2018
figure-1-dec-2018.jpg

Source: Department of the Environment and Energy
Hey spin doctor Bicks, why don't you post the whole pdf of the report so people can see the actual story? Have you read it? I have.

I didn't even vote Labor. Why are you bringing them into the conversation?

The government of the day has nothing new to bring to the table given the increasing challenges, yet this seems to be okay with you?
Of course you didn't, you have all the hallmarks of a Greens voter. Congratulations on supporting a party that is almost irrelevant other than the fact occasionally they get to rubber stamp a piece of ALP legislation when Labor are in power or to support Labor in blocking LNP legislation.

And it was all down to Christine Milne and the Greens that blocked Rudd's ETS Legislation or we would have had an ETS operating in Australia.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...rets-over-carbon-decision-20130904-2t53i.html

But with the future of Ms Gillard's carbon pricing scheme now in doubt, Senator Milne said she had no regrets over the Greens' actions in rejecting Mr Rudd's Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme in 2009 when public support for action was greater.
Mr Rudd's original emissions trading scheme was rejected by the Senate twice in 2009, with the Greens arguing it did not go far enough and siding with the Coalition. Two Liberals crossed the floor and voted with Labor in the Senate in December 2009 - meaning the scheme could have narrowly passed if the Greens were on board.
Mr Rudd subsequently deferred his climate plans, a decision which helped lead to his dumping as party leader in 2010.
Senator Milne said she "could not be happier" with the decision to back effective action on climate rather than the first Rudd government scheme.

Of course you didn't, you have all the hallmarks of a Greens voter. Congratulations on supporting a party that is almost irrelevant other than the fact occasionally they get to rubber stamp a piece of ALP legislation when Labor are in power or to support Labor in blocking LNP legislation.

And it was all down to Christine Milne and the Greens that blocked Rudd's ETS Legislation or we would have had an ETS operating in Australia.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...rets-over-carbon-decision-20130904-2t53i.html
Greens are too extreme for me but nice assumption.

Hey spin doctor Bicks, why don't you post the whole pdf of the report so people can see the actual story? Have you read it? I have.

Yep the devil is in the details.

The figures show emissions rose by 3.5 m tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent, or 0.7%, in the year to December 2018.

Emissions in the electricity and agriculture sectors were down but those falls were wiped out by increases across every other sector.

Australia’s emissions have been rising since the abolition of the carbon tax. The government’s emissions reduction fund – rebadged before the election as the climate solutions fund – has failed to stall increases in Australia’s overall emissions.

I wonder if Milne would still have no regrets.

Turnball also would wish she didn't get in the way... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back