Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dutton with another dodgy overrule for a mate.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-...an-au-pair/10185196?pfmredir=sm&sf196614453=1

And he thought he was fit to be PM? Talk about being rotten to the core.

I've been led to believe a newspaper has called him "the Minister For Foreign Au Pairs" this morning (sounds like Foreign Affairs) which i think is very clever, perhaps even droll.

And he was a Queensland cop? Hmmm they've got a fabulous history of corruption, makes you wonder what else he's gotten up to.

I've been led to believe a newspaper has called him "the Minister For Foreign Au Pairs" this morning (sounds like Foreign Affairs) which i think is very clever, perhaps even droll.

And he was a Queensland cop? Hmmm they've got a fabulous history of corruption, makes you wonder what else he's gotten up to.

**Cough** Fitzgerald Inquiry **Cough**

What I would be interested in seeing is stats where the Minister has been asked to intervene and the number of times he actually has. Do it for the previous labor government too. This would tell us whether this is usual or unusual. To me it seems like they are hiding behind an almost absolute discretion and the argument each situation is different. Fair enough if he has intervened many times, and these two that involve "mates" are just coincidentally part of a much bigger number.

What I would be interested in seeing is stats where the Minister has been asked to intervene and the number of times he actually has. Do it for the previous labor government too. This would tell us whether this is usual or unusual. To me it seems like they are hiding behind an almost absolute discretion and the argument each situation is different. Fair enough if he has intervened many times, and these two that involve "mates" are just coincidentally part of a much bigger number.
He's well within his rights and ministerial powers to be allowing these girls in. Legally, he's on solid ground. Morally & ethically it's a very different matter. His willingness to allow white girls to stay (when lobbied by his mates), while simultaneously refusing brown people who are in dire need of medical assistance, displays a stunning level of hypocrisy.

That said, we really don't know the context. How many decisions has he made? How many has he allowed to stay? How many times has he gone against the "high risk" recommendations of his Department? How many times has he refused? Who has he allowed to stay, and who has he refused? How does this record compare with previous Immigration Ministers (Coalition & Labor)?

It looks very bad on the surface, but it may turn out to be a complete non-event once the full context is known.

Absolute w***ers
I don't know why they thought that changing the captain of a sinking ship was going to make a difference? If they were clever (which they clearly are not) they would have waited for the ship to sink under Malcolm, he steps aside (as all leaders do after a political rout) and one of the two become new leader. Minimal blood shed, and they can get about the business of rebuilding the club (sorry, party) from opposition. This way... Morrison will face the wrath of the party after the rout... and his leadership will be under constant threat given he's left the biggest agitator of them all (TAbbott) in the wings. Dutton was just TAbbott's pawn.

I don't know why they thought that changing the captain of a sinking ship was going to make a difference? If they were clever (which they clearly are not) they would have waited for the ship to sink under Malcolm, he steps aside (as all leaders do after a political rout) and one of the two become new leader. Minimal blood shed, and they can get about the business of rebuilding the club (sorry, party) from opposition. This way... Morrison will face the wrath of the party after the rout... and his leadership will be under constant threat given he's left the biggest agitator of them all (TAbbott) in the wings. Dutton was just TAbbott's pawn.

They're either maniacal geniuses with a plan mere mortals cannot deduce...

...or complete ******* idiots.

Dutton was Abbott's pawn, now he's paying for it.

Front page of the AFR today has Coorey saying that,

Despite the coup going pear-shaped, Turnbull is gone, Bishop has no intention of hanging around, Dutton is blowing smoke and Morrison if he loses big, will be cooked. Which - apart from Frydenberg - leaves Abbott as the last man standing

So it was Tony "Littlefinger" Abbott the whole time?

They're either maniacal geniuses with a plan mere mortals cannot deduce...

...or complete ******* idiots.

Dutton was Abbott's pawn, now he's paying for it.

Front page of the AFR today has Coorey saying that,

Despite the coup going pear-shaped, Turnbull is gone, Bishop has no intention of hanging around, Dutton is blowing smoke and Morrison if he loses big, will be cooked. Which - apart from Frydenberg - leaves Abbott as the last man standing

So it was Tony "Littlefinger" Abbott the whole time?
If Abbott was to get back to being a leader, there will be no Liberal party.

Abbott fooled Australia once by wearing sheep's clothing, it won't happen a second time.
It just goes to show how out of touch they are! I mean they are ALL frigging awful options... but at the moment it's the libs turn to truly suck. Democracy is broken in our country and I'm just not sure how we are ever going to fix it.

It just goes to show how out of touch they are! I mean they are ALL frigging awful options... but at the moment it's the libs turn to truly suck. Democracy is broken in our country and I'm just not sure how we are ever going to fix it.

150 independents - though that’ll never happen, and that could be worse!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turnbull knifed Nelson, in order to become leader of the Liberal party the first time around (while they were still in opposition).

Talk about holding a grudge.

The Liberal party is in shambles and deserve to be chucked out - 3 PMs in less than 5 years (Abbott, Turnbull and now Morrison) - even worse than the ALP who had two in 6 years (Rudd and Gillard).

Where the * are our true leaders of this nation?

I’ll form a party - have got some policy platforms already, I’ve recently retired and don’t want the money just want to get this great country back to where it once was.

You want action, how about Labor stop blocking legislation that the Libs based their campaign on and won?

All told, i think our parliamentary system, despite its flaw, is pretty good, but it's always a bit "huh?" when a party claims a mandate, but can't get legislation through - you'd think a proper mandate would mean you could get it through both houses

And yes, they both do it

Which legislation are Labor blocking in this particular instance?

EDIT: i imagine the answer is, everything except pay-rises for themselves

Last edited:
Rudd twice = 3

Don’t agree - Kevin Rudd is Kevin Rudd. Abbott, Turnbull and Morrison are 3 separate individuals but I see what you are doing but irrespective they have done it in less than 5 years as opposed to less than 6 years for ALP. This is all Tony Abbott’s work and his trademark is all over it.

Both as bad as one another, that is not in dispute but neither can claim any moral high ground which is interesting given most LNP supporters were doing so in the 2010-2013 period. And that there can be no dispute over whatsoever.

You want action, how about Labor stop blocking legislation that the Libs based their campaign on and won?

Well that is the case why didn’t they also gain a majority in the Upper House. The answer is self explanatory.

The general voting public want things check and balances on any government. The government need to negotiate a position just as the ALP has always had to do. Live with it.

Well that is the case why didn’t they also gain a majority in the Upper House. The answer is self explanatory.

The general voting public want things check and balances on any government. The government need to negotiate a position just as the ALP has always had to do. Live with it.
Did the Libs win the election? On what platform? As you know, very rarely does a government get a majority in both houses

Did the Libs win the election? On what platform? As you know, very rarely does a government get a majority in both houses

What is wrong with negotiating with the minor parties? Surely they don’t require the ALP to get the legislation thru and can do it with the assistance of the minor parties. For goodness sake, negotiate or are they incapable of doing that? Might say more about their leadership (or lack thereof) than anything.

What is wrong with negotiating with the minor parties? Surely they don’t require the ALP to get the legislation thru and can do it with the assistance of the minor parties. For goodness sake, negotiate or are they incapable of doing that? Might say more about their leadership (or lack thereof) than anything.
How do you know they haven’t negotiated and are still being told no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back