Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GbgWU4.jpg

TQmxdS.jpg
point?

Weren't the Liberals against the Adelaide Oval redevelopment?

They went to the election with a new CBD stadium to be built at the site of what is now the New RAH.

Up until the Liberal new stadium plan forced the ALP's hands with the Adelaide Oval re-development Kevin Foley's proposal was:

along with running the tram line to West Lakes.

I wouldn't think either of the major parties would be claiming exclusive moral high ground on CBD Oval re-development.

What I should add is that the actual re-development of the oval was managed exceptionally well. Was marginally over budget and on-time and has obviously turned out spectacularly. Even during the re-development there was not particular inconvenience.

I can't think of another piece of publicly funded infrastructure that has turned out so well.

I still stand by that the ALP don't deserve credit for the vision behind it, but the execution was done about as well as possible.

Also, Bruce aside, thank **** the Liberals proposed the City Stadium, imagine if the re-developed Footy Park went ahead like Rann/Foley originally planned.

Amen to that. In hindsight, that AAMI redevelopment option was awful. A couple of what would've probably been decent stands mashed in with the original terracing at either end and the northern stand tacked on. AO is a much, much better solution.

Also, you're right - neither party could claim the moral high ground in regards to Adelaide Oval.

Don't suppose Wingard can get the Memorial Drive complex upgraded to a 15-20k multi purpose venue?

They went to the election with a new CBD stadium to be built at the site of what is now the New RAH.

Up until the Liberal new stadium plan forced the ALP's hands with the Adelaide Oval re-development Kevin Foley's proposal was:

along with running the tram line to West Lakes.

I wouldn't think either of the major parties would be claiming exclusive moral high ground on CBD Oval re-development.

Still, reckon Labour's ultimate plan was a much better result for SA than 2 stadiums in a pretty small capital city. I know Vlad was heavily involved, but SA got the right result.

Would have looked like Subiaco.

Shudders

Still, reckon Labour's ultimate plan was a much better result for SA than 2 stadiums in a pretty small capital city. I know Vlad was heavily involved, but SA got the right result.

Yep. Had the new city stadium happened, Adelaide Oval would be facing a similar uncertain future the WACA currently faces.

We also wouldn’t have had the quality World Cup matches we had in 2015, and it would’ve been highly unlikely we’d have been given the pink ball tests.

We should just keep printing more money

Can you believe someone actually posted something so stupid.

Well, my little debt experts, I have a few questions for you (and a statement or two as well).

First a question. Have you noticed that the US has a debt clock too, and the UK, and Japan, and Germany, and Russia, and China and ..... can you tell me who doesn't have a debt clock?

Lets assume every country has a debt clock. My next question. Who is this debt owed to? I'll await your answers to this before I comment any further on this stuff.

Now a statement. I did not say we can just keep printing money (although no one prints it anymore, you know that right, cash is less 3% of money in circulation). What I said was that tax take does not limit spending. That is not a license to produce money as there are other things that do limit spending.

Now another statement. In case you're worried about this spending inducing inflationary issues, there is a plethora of recent studies debunking the "printing" of money as inflationary causes in the classic hyperinflation examples of the Weimar republic and Zimbabwe. Also the recent efforts of QE which were massive money injections aimed at producing inflation, but that have failed to produce anywhere near the desired inflation, has helped further confirm this.

One last statement. Debt does matter. Very much. Just not govt debt. The level of private debt, on the otherhand, can be killer. Australia's private debt levels are such that we are an almost certain candidate for a recession in the next three years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shudders

Yep. Had the new city stadium happened, Adelaide Oval would be facing a similar uncertain future the WACA currently faces.

We also wouldn’t have had the quality World Cup matches we had in 2015, and it would’ve been highly unlikely we’d have been given the pink ball tests.
Maybe we wouldn’t have had the worlds most expensive hospital that doesn’t work.

Absolutely, can't think of anyone (except maybe the total soccer zealots) who would think that two CBD Stadiums/Ovals was a good idea.

The Labor plan before the Liberal plan forced their hand was an abomination though.

Absolutely, can't think of anyone (except maybe the total soccer zealots) who would think that two CBD Stadiums/Ovals was a good idea.

The Labor plan before the Liberal plan forced their hand was an abomination though.

It’s hilarious hearing some of the soccer zealots screaming out for a 40,000 seat stadium on Adelaide Oval no. 2, while also claiming that Coopers is in the middle of nowhere (which rarely gets filled as it is unless United give away thousands of tickets like they did on Good Friday).

Hindmarsh holds like 15k...
They barely fill it...
People turn up when theyre doing well...
No point building a new stadium...
Upgrade the tennis one yes to bid for decent tournaments/players...
Watching soccer @ Adelaide Oval is horrible...

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apparently Tony Abbott thinks the ABC owes him an apology, over the recent findings:
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ot-asking-for-an-apology-but-i-should-get-one

The ABC reporter was found guilty of editorialising, rather than just presenting the facts in an unbiased manner. Fair enough - I agree with the ruling. He was presenting a news piece, not an opinion piece, so he shouldn't have been editorialising.

That doesn't alter the fact that what Probyn said was 100% factually accurate. Tony Abbott is indeed "the most destructive politician of his generation". It's phrased as opinion, but that opinion is backed by inarguable facts.

Given that what Probyn said was right... I don't think Abbott should be expecting an apology any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back