Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Were they?, you're telling the story..

Before the string of by-elections, Braddon and Longman were expected to be close, and some had suggested Bill Shorten's leadership would be questioned if either seat was lost.

I reckon your mob thought they had a chance in Braddon and Longman.

Shall we discuss the Downer debacle in Mayo, or are we playing Daddy’s line of ‘stop picking on us’ :D

For starters they're not my mob, that finished when they knifed an elected Prime Minister.

It is very rare for the incumbent member/Party to be voted out in a by-election as I thought a keen Politics follower like yourself should know.
A point which Turnbull was at pains to emphasise all week, in an attempt to put pressure on Shorten. Why did he do this? He certainly wasn't playing down their chances. He thought they were going to win Longman & Braddon, and wanted to maximise the mileage to be made from it.

They haven't won either Longman or Braddon. The ALP have increased their primary vote in Longman, and the Libs have been destroyed in Mayo.

The only positive for the Libs is the microscopic swing they've generated in Braddon - but 0.1% was never going to be anywhere near enough.

It's been an unmitigated disaster for Turnbull, and anyone who says otherwise is spinning like a top.

Bicks - did you actually read the article you linked. Did you read this bit:
The fact that relatively few seats have changed party hands in by-elections is probably due more to the propensity for by-elections to occur in safer seats, rather than any other factor. Political parties and individual members are only too aware of the possible political consequences of losing a seat at a by-election, and thus try to ensure that by-elections caused by resignation occur only in relatively safe seats. For example, since 1949, of the 59 by-elections that were caused by the resignation of the sitting member, only 11 have been in marginal seats (that is, seats requiring a swing of less than six per cent to change hands). By far the largest number of by-elections, 32, has occurred in safe seats (that is, seats requiring a swing of over ten per cent to change hands).

So you expected the results to go against over a century of historical results.....yeah OK then.
Turnbull was expecting to take at least one of those two electorates.

Turnbull has been spinning this 100 years thing for all it's worth. The fact is that there have been very few by-elections in marginal electorates. There's simply no trend to go against.

‘The head up, the contest is between me and Bill Shorten as the Prime Miniter and the Opposition Leader’ - Malcolm Turnbull.

Well I think this contest went about as well as Turnbull’s first phone call to Trump.

And how could the Liberal Party be so stupid in letting Daddy’s Girl run in Mayo. Didn’t they learn anything from Hilary Clinton, not to mention Daddy’s Girl probably couldn’t tell the difference between Mt Barker in SA and Mt Barker in WA before she was flown into the seat. They’d have more hope having Briggs re-run - and that’s saying something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll tell you what's even more stupid, old Mal's already endorsed her for the upcoming Federal Election.......now that's really, really stupid.
That was just to strengthen her brand prior to today, I doubt she will stay

I have more chance of being the Liberal candidate in Mayo at the election than Downer after tonight.

She’ll get a nice cushy gig on the Victorian Senate ticket to keep Daddy from getting her to defect to the Australian Conservatives.

I'll tell you what's even more stupid, old Mal's already endorsed her for the upcoming Federal Election.......now that's really, really stupid.
Yep.. parachuting a candidate in from interstate is never a good look. People can live with it if they're in an adjacent electorate, particularly if the boundaries have changed. They're not going to tolerate someone who has been living interstate for the last 20 years.

Yep.. parachuting a candidate in from interstate is never a good look. People can live with it if they're in an adjacent electorate, particularly if the boundaries have changed. They're not going to tolerate someone who has been living interstate for the last 20 years.
Alexander Downer's comments show just how out of touch he is with everyday people and also those in his former seat.

Sharkie has worked massively hard and has really entrenched herself into the electorate. I actually don't see her losing that seat for a long while

It was laughable seeing the Libs roll out Georgina Downer thinking that she was going to win by default because of her name.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's spinning like a top, and doing his best to shift the goalposts. Anything to make yesterday's disaster look better than it was. He made the by-elections about his leadership, and his leadership and policies have been soundly rebuked by the voters in those 3 electorates (they weren't even game to contest the WA seats).

He set them up. He set the expectations. He made it all about him. He chose to have an 8 week campaign. He chose to commit an act of political bastardry in choosing the date he did. This disaster is all about Malcolm.

Yep, people by nature are greedy, as long as someone promises to spend money on them they don’t give a s**t if the blokes a lying weasel.
This weekend might be a pyrrhic victory for the Labor party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back