Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'll be......With the Greens and the ALP going on about how bad Australia is ECO wise I thought we must be really, really bad...

In terms of ecological footprint, we are. See there's us, 11th worst in the world.
  • 1Qatar15.7
  • 2Luxembourg12.3
  • 3United Arab Emirates9.8
  • 4Mongolia9.5
  • 5Bahrain8.7
  • 6United States of America8.4
  • 7Canada8.0
  • 8Kuwait7.6
  • 9Denmark7.1
  • 10Estonia7.0
  • 11Australia6.9
  • 12Bermuda6.8
  • 13Belgium6.7
  • 14Trinidad and Tobago6.7
  • 15Sweden6.6
  • 16Aruba6.4
  • 17Oman6.3
  • 18Finland6.1
  • 19Norway6.0
  • 20Saudi Arabia6.0
  • 21Cook Islands6.0
  • 22Netherlands5.9
  • 23Austria5.9
  • 24Singapore5.9
  • 25Kiribati5.8
  • 26Korea, Republic of5.8
  • 27Kazakhstan5.8
  • 28Lithuania5.8
  • 29Micronesia, Federated States of5.7
  • 30Latvia5.6
  • 31Czech Republic5.6
  • 32Russian Federation5.6

The first of a few examples of decent sized/readable inequality charts. Here's childrens cognitive performance at 22 months for high and low socioeconomic status mapped over time. The initially high performing low socioeconomic kids drop down, whereas high stays up, the initially low performing high socioeconomic come up, whereas low stays low.
all-marmot-review-slides.jpg

In terms of ecological footprint, we are. See there's us, 11th worst in the world.
  • 1Qatar15.7
  • 2Luxembourg12.3
  • 3United Arab Emirates9.8
  • 4Mongolia9.5
  • 5Bahrain8.7
  • 6United States of America8.4
  • 7Canada8.0
  • 8Kuwait7.6
  • 9Denmark7.1
  • 10Estonia7.0
  • 11Australia6.9
  • 12Bermuda6.8
  • 13Belgium6.7
  • 14Trinidad and Tobago6.7
  • 15Sweden6.6
  • 16Aruba6.4
  • 17Oman6.3
  • 18Finland6.1
  • 19Norway6.0
  • 20Saudi Arabia6.0
  • 21Cook Islands6.0
  • 22Netherlands5.9
  • 23Austria5.9
  • 24Singapore5.9
  • 25Kiribati5.8
  • 26Korea, Republic of5.8
  • 27Kazakhstan5.8
  • 28Lithuania5.8
  • 29Micronesia, Federated States of5.7
  • 30Latvia5.6
  • 31Czech Republic5.6
  • 32Russian Federation5.6
Because we’re a big country with a small population with a big mining industry

These numbers mean nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So sexist that our first ever sitting female PM didn't even see fit to remove it.
Why should it be up to a female PM? Rudd and Abbott didn't either. Good that Turnbull's government is at last. You don't think that it's not sexist do you?

Why should it be up to a female PM? Rudd and Abbott didn't either. Good that Turnbull's government is at last. You don't think that it's not sexist do you?
I was being facetious.

Honestly I'm fine with it being removed ( even though its charged on other medical goods) just not some childish political point about it being an ism.

"The Federal Government on Saturday revealed it was again pushing for women's sanitary products to be exempt from the 10 per cent GST."

Um...what? From a month ago:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...d/news-story/12830a40996b28fc376f3c7a716b20fc

"Today the Senate showed its support by voting to have the Greens’ bill passed, meaning women won’t have to pay the 10 per cent GST.

But the push to have it fully abolished continues to stall as the Coalition Government does not support the change."

I'm impressed with the Orwellianess of it. A month ago, they didn't support it... but now, they're again pushing for it to be exempt. It's as though the advent of the internet destroyed the possibility of a memory hole.

Should i be blaming lazy journalists, dumb journalists, or complicit journalists?

I don’t have any issue with it, we’ve had it for years, but we just get on with the job on SA.

The reaction from Baby Boomers on the east coast about this change is simply cringeworthy, and somewhat disgraceful (given the reports they've been abusing/assaulting staff over the change).

I don’t have any issue with it, we’ve had it for years, but we just get on with the job on SA.

I vaguely* recall we whined about it for a couple of days and got on with it.

*it was a long time ago though

The reaction from Baby Boomers on the east coast about this change is simply cringeworthy, and somewhat disgraceful (given the reports they've been abusing/assaulting staff over the change).
The ACT banned plastic bags years ago. I don't recall any whining.

It seems to be a very small minority, making a very loud noise. The big difference is that the ACT Government banned the bags, it wasn't a voluntary (and reversible) decision being made by the supermarket companies. When it's compulsory, and everyone know's it's compulsory, there's no room for whinging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back