Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why Queenslanders continue to vote for maverick politicians.

They're a strange breed up there

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We should reduce the number of their senators as they can't be trusted...

In all seriousness, you should receive a minimum number of primary votes to get into the Senate.

Is that the book by Watkin Tench? It's been on my to read list for years, but I've never gotten round to it.

Missus has been doing a fair bit of house tidy up while I've been at bowls this morning. In the 'unsure' pile, is indeed a CD book penned by Watkins Tench, titled 1788. It is a very good 'read' and I stand by my original statements that all Australians should avail themselves of it. I'm not trained in history, but I do sometimes wonder whether that if people actually understood how the colony arrived in NSW, how they respected the 'natives', how they hung settlers for crimes against 'natives' and how the entire colony nearly failed to exist.

Last edited:
It is easy for the right to condemn this as an evil deranged terrorist, any sane person should, however it seems it is harder for them to condemn the ideology, dog whistling and hate speech that the right has and still is propagating, and which has led us to this point.
Any person not condemning the continued attempts to normalise hard right wing ideology and the subsequent community division this has caused is complicit in their silence, in my opinion.

Ironically our government is now preaching the need for tolerance, where just days/ weeks ago they were dog whistling about evil asylum seekers and Sudanese gangs, forcing their fears on the broader community and creating division.

It was only in November 2018 and Scott Morrison was criticising the Muslim community for not doing enough to curtail radicalisation.....will he now stop his and his parties dog whistling to race and religion?
Scott Morrison wanted to exploit and promote xenophobic fear of muslims as an election tactic, to me that says it all.
You reap what you sow, if you whistle loud enough for long enough you will eventually release the hounds.

Instead of reassurance, tolerance and compassion our leaders and media have stoked the flames of fear for too long.

Anning was elected third on the One Nation ticket, getting in after Malcolm-Ieuan: Roberts, the living soul was disqualified. Second and third candidates on the Liberal and Labor ballot wouldn't have received many primary votes either, that's the way above the line voting and the Senate quota system works. The real issue is that One Nation put a neo-nazi on their ballot in the first place, and nobody said anything about it.

It is easy for the right to condemn this as an evil deranged terrorist, any sane person should, however it seems it is harder for them to condemn the ideology, dog whistling and hate speech that the right has and still is propagating, and which has led us to this point.
Any person not condemning the continued attempts to normalise hard right wing ideology and the subsequent community division this has caused is complicit in their silence, in my opinion.

Ironically our government is now preaching the need for tolerance, where just days/ weeks ago they were dog whistling about evil asylum seekers and Sudanese gangs, forcing their fears on the broader community and creating division.

It was only in November 2018 and Scott Morrison was criticising the Muslim community for not doing enough to curtail radicalisation.....will he now stop his and his parties dog whistling to race and religion?
Scott Morrison wanted to exploit and promote xenophobic fear of muslims as an election tactic, to me that says it all.
You reap what you sow, if you whistle loud enough for long enough you will eventually release the hounds.

Instead of reassurance, tolerance and compassion our leaders and media have stoked the flames of fear for too long.

Considering you referenced it five times, what is 'dog whistling'? Is this some social media buzzword?

Regarding the Labors proposed negative gearing laws, once upon a time didn't the Labor party actually stand for the working class and the environment. Do they realize working class Australians (not just the rich) have invested in residential property because Superannuation will not be enough to fund their retirement. Do they realize the negative impact on the environment their policy of only allowing new homes to be geared will cause. I see they conveniently ignored the impact that foreign ownership of residential property is having on housing affordability.

You really think that Australian politicians are the cause of that lunatic murdering all those people? You’re as mad as he is if that’s what you’re trying to peddle. That is literally the worst kind of attempt at political point scoring. You should really consider seeking help, you’re consumed by asylum seeker policy and 50 people getting killed in NZ is not an opportunity for you to get up on your soap box against Australian policy. Seriously, seek help, you need it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You really think that Australian politicians are the cause of that lunatic murdering all those people? You’re as mad as he is if that’s what you’re trying to peddle. That is literally the worst kind of attempt at political point scoring. You should really consider seeking help, you’re consumed by asylum seeker policy and 50 people getting killed in NZ is not an opportunity for you to get up on your soap box against Australian policy. Seriously, seek help, you need it.

Not directly but indirectly, absolutely. They provide the ground and sustenance for hate - Howard started it, Abbott continued it and Morrison and Dutton continue to allow it.

If you don’t believe the right have hate in their DNA well you are the fool!

Regarding the Labors proposed negative gearing laws, once upon a time didn't the Labor party actually stand for the working class and the environment. Do they realize working class Australians (not just the rich) have invested in residential property because Superannuation will not be enough to fund their retirement. Do they realize the negative impact on the environment their policy of only allowing new homes to be geared will cause. I see they conveniently ignored the impact that foreign ownership of residential property is having on housing affordability.

It is a combination of factors however negative gearing has significantly contributed to the inflation of property prices. Negative gearing (together with reduction of capital gains tax) saw the level of borrowing blow out for mortgage market as a whole go from $335b in Jan 2000 to $1.226T in Jan 2010 (and that was after lending dropped off after the GFC) - an increase of 350% - absolute madness!

Superannuation can be enough to retire - if you actually contribute yourself as well. Basically, the 9.5% plus a your own contribution of 6-7% will provide enough for retirement. As long as you start young.

If you don’t think that there has not been a steady rise of right wing ideology in this and most other countries then you are living with your head up your **** and given the crap that are your opinions on most things I am not at all surprised.
Leaders are meant to set the example but the example we have from government and media is ongoing attempts to normalise far right wing agenda’s.

I don’t have a point to score, I’m not a politician I have nothing to gain bar expressing my frustration.

Your entitled to think what you like but once again your wrong.

If you don’t think that there has not been a steady rise of right wing ideology in this and most other countries then you are living with your head up your **** and given the crap that are your opinions on most things I am not at all surprised.
Leaders are meant to set the example but the example we have from government and media is ongoing attempts to normalise far right wing agenda’s.

I don’t have a point to score, I’m not a politician I have nothing to gain bar expressing my frustration.

Your entitled to think what you like but once again your wrong.

An article from 2011 from our glorious PM.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/morrison-sees-votes-in-anti-muslim-strategy-20110216-1awmo.html

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-02-15/controversy-over-shipwreck-funerals/1943634

He will say whatever he needs to - he is just a snakeoil salesman and marketeer.

The end to this nasty government since 2013 is nearing an end and thank god for that.

Last edited:
An article from 2011 from our glorious PM.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/morrison-sees-votes-in-anti-muslim-strategy-20110216-1awmo.html

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-02-15/controversy-over-shipwreck-funerals/1943634

He will say whatever he needs to - he is just a snakeoil salesman and marketeer.

The end to this nasty government since 2013 is nearing an end and thank god for that.

Only to be replaced with another snakeoil salesman. Amazes me people still think either party serves the Australian people. Liberal historically couldn't give a damn about the working class. Labor does care about the working class but just not the Australian working class.

Only to be replaced with another snakeoil salesman. Amazes me people still think either party serves the Australian people. Liberal historically couldn't give a damn about the working class. Labor does care about the working class but just not the Australian working class.

Don’t disagree that we could be better served however the NDIS was instigated by Bill Shorten - at least he tries to do something whilst Morrison is just a marketing man.

This is plain stupid .....it encourages every outher nutcase who wants his 15 min of fame to follow suit .......he's being hailed as some sort of hero in some circles ......but what happens if that was a knife, not an egg ......do people have the same attitude

Yeah, give him interviews, make him famous :rolleyes:

BTW .....how TF does a 17 YO kid get that close to any politician, nevermind one as controversial as this twit ......I really think our security services are some of the most slack at times

Last edited:
They are not personally responsible. However, they are responsible for demonising Muslims for the last 20+ years, which fanned the flame of hatred in the extreme right, thereby creating the environment where an attack like this was not only possible but inevitable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back