Political Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
20046583_10155638774524124_3935151121340686566_n.jpg

Why point the finger at one or other of the parties? Both have had multiple inputs into degrading the NBN.
its not about pointing fingers, its about uncovering all the failures.

both parties screw us routinely and I want to know how and why.

Sure, big project though, very easy to sit back and tear it down.
We needed to modernise our information infrastructure badly. The choice was between patching up the copper network or building something that would last into the future. By and large it's done it's job.

Could be better, most things are.

There are still a fair amount of speed problems that come between FTTN vs FTTP.

you don't need to tear it down, the blown out cost (which is still running up) and our abysmal global internet speed ranking considering speaks for itself.

it was destined for trouble from the earliest stages of planning and negotiations and has been made spectacularly worse after a change of government.

What are peoples' thoughts on Shorten's plan for 4-year fixed terms for the Federal Government? Turnbull appears to support it, though several of his senior ministers have spoken against it. This shouldn't be about party politics.

Many of the state and territory governments already have fixed 4-year terms. Unlike the Federal Government, they didn't need to hold a referendum to change the length of their terms.

The Federal Government averages one election every 2.5 years. The PM currently has the right to decide when we go to the polls, usually at a time which is most advantageous to the incumbents. Elections must be held within 3 years of the first sitting day after the previous election.

My thoughts:
  • I was disgusted when the ACT government introduced fixed 4-year terms, without any consultation to the public. I was shocked that they didn't have to hold a referendum or plebiscite first. It does lead me to wonder - what is to stop them from doing away with elections completely?
  • I am in favour of fixed terms. This means that the government can't just decide to hold an election early, because they think their chances are better than they would have been if they'd gone full-term. I like the certainty of knowing when the election will be, and that it's not subject to the whims of the government of the day.
  • I am not in favour of 4-year terms. I like having the ability to turf the bastards out on a regular basis. The Turnbull government had it's 1-year anniversary recently - I really don't want to have to wait 3 more years to get rid of this mob of self obsessed incompetents. I'm sure Liberal voters felt the same way about the Gillard government.
  • Shorten argues that 4-year terms would encourage governments to be less poll-focused, enabling them to be more adventurous with their policies and governance. I think this is just bullshit. The state governments have had 4-year terms for years, and there's no sign that any of them have better governance, or are any less poll-driven, than the Federal government with its 2.5-3 year terms.
What I favour are fixed 3-year terms. This gives us the best of both worlds - the certainty of knowing when the elections will be held, not subject to the whims of the PM, while still providing the ability to turf out bad governments on a regular basis. It would also bring the elections into line with the Senate, where Senators are already elected for fixed 6-year terms (3-years for Senators from the ACT & NT).

if I had to decide, fixed three year terms sound like the common sense option to me, but seriously, who gives a *?

what actual issues are they trying to push a few page deeper this time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's contagious....

Matt Canavan resigns from Malcolm Turnbull's ministry over citizenship doubts
By political reporter Henry Belot
Updated 3 minutes ago

Matt Canavan has quit Cabinet amid citizenship doubts surrounding his mother's Italian ancestry.

Senator Canavan was the minister for resources and Northern Australia.

How does an adult make someone else a citizen of another country?
Beats me considering Canavan was born in Australia and was 25 years old at the time his mother sought Italian citizenship...you would think as an Adult he would have had to sign something accepting that, unlike the 2 Greens who were not born in Australia.

Beats me considering Canavan was born in Australia and was 25 years old at the time his mother sought Italian citizenship...you would think as an Adult he would have had to sign something accepting that, unlike the 2 Greens who were not born in Australia.
Can someone give Shorten a citizenship to Botswana?

unlike the 2 Greens who were not born in Australia.

but... but... but... the Greens!

If it's true that his mum made him an Italian citizen without his knowledge, that's crazy. An adult, without signing anything, becomes a citizen of another country? Found a way to get people we don't like out of parliament - start signing them up for foreign citizenships!

Has it been confirmed that he has Italian citizenship?

just saw a decent piece on Foreign Correspondent taking a look at the Muslim community in Manchester...

didn't really pull any punches when it came to Saudi Arabia exporting Wahhabism and the UK government's utter silence about the billion dollar weapons deals they have with them.

Something not even resembling my missus' signature appears on many a document that she has not signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back