Political Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that's right. I think most people wanted the government to do their job. Little Johnnie howard changed it all by himself and no public vote in 2004... why couldn't it just be changed back? Instead they waste $122m for something that just should happen. Equality for all - not just for the chosen few. It's fundamental.

The problem was Malcolm was all for it, but his party's position was all against it.

Without that disconnect, we could have spent $122m on something useful, like a high-speed monorail.

If Bicks took offence at the comment, I apologise.

One tongue in cheek comment is nothing compared to what the LGBTIQ community have had to endure as a result of this survey.
Apology accepted.

I did take offence because you don't know me personally and just because my political views lean to the Conservative side does not mean my personal views on life outside of Politics are alike.

That's your opinion and I'm fine with that, I'm quite satisfied with the process because in the end the people had their say and now there can absolutely be no doubt how the Politicians should advance the people's wishes. The people have spoken.
I hope most MPs share this view. The problem is that this wasn't a gridlocked issue where parliament was undecided. Most were confident with polls that this is a decision they should have made. It was a faction within the liberal party who have sway that forced this.

The whole 'this is how democracy works. The people have now spoken' fallback was always going to happen by the small faction that had nothing to lose politically.

If this was such a good idea, what issue should we hold a plebiscite over next?

If this was such a good idea, what issue should we hold a plebiscite over next?

This. I've spoken to people who somehow believe this is the way forward so "people can have their say".

Which just goes to show you how far the political process has moved away from representation in government and is now seen as a plaything of power between bankers and union leaders.

Is there a chance the track could bend?

No. I got a bulk deal on NBN contractors, so they'll build it. Everything will be fine.

med_1438289897_image.jpg

brucetiki

You won't find too many in public life more conservative than cartoonist Paul Zanetti....

Good on him. That's a good portrayal of his viewpoint.

Anyway, I like to play the devil's advocate. Now to address some issues that have already arisen in conversations I've had this morning, as I genuinely hope the rights of everyone are not subsumed by other people's rights simply because theirs are more popular.

Someone else's beliefs should not dictate how I live, who I love, who I marry.

Totally agree ... but what about who my baker friend chooses to bake wedding cakes for? I guess this now becomes part of the legislation debate.

Similarly, I have no right to impose my views on life, love and marriage on others (caveat, unless what I believe causes harm, injury or death to others).

Everyone has the right to love and marry who they want.

And nobody else will be affected.

Totally agree ... except where people are affected because they differ in opinion. Like that Doctor who was threatened with deregistration.

I believe deeply in equality for all, regardless of colour, race, gender, age, culture, political view etc. It's what makes for a free, open, tolerant world. We live in the greatest country on earth, built largely on tolerance and equality.

Totally agree on all points ... and I look forward to seeing what tolerance is towards those who voted No, voted informal or the 20% that didn't bother.

So far, it's only a handful of Yes voters I've chatted to being pricks about it and showing intolerance. Kudos to the bulk of others who just want to get on with life.

You sure about that?

The Libs said they would hold a plebiscite when they went to the election and they won.

Then poll after poll I saw showed the public wanted a say.

It may have cost $122M but if we didn’t do it this way and instead just let the pollies decide, we not only would have gone against the public’s wishes, the change would have been tainted.
I'm not sure there was a mandate... they may have won... but not hugely. And perhaps confirmation bias has a play in this (from both sides)... I never saw one poll saying people wanted this plebiscite. Not one. Nobody I spoke to. And clearly you have seen things that indicate otherwise. And we are talking about equality for everyone here... what is there to decide? You either want laws to apply equally to all citizens in this country or you don't.

It’s a joke isn’t it, are we in China?

It doesn't matter what side of the political divide you sit or where your thoughts on the renewable energy debate rest, governments claiming confidentiality when spending taxpayer's money is absolutely disgusting. Will be interesting if the local centrist rolls in and comments on this.

The Liberals can never play the ‘budget emergency’ or ‘age of entitlement is over’ card ever again.

This was a massive waste of taxpayer money, and time, and for what? To reveal something numerous opinion polls already said.

The poll can’t change law. It’ll still go through parliament, which it could’ve done without this massive waste of taxpayer money.

If it could've, then labour would have introduced it when they were in power and the coalition the same. It's blindingly obvious that this was the only way that anyone was game to introduce legislation. I can't recall any minor party or independent introducing legislation to the house and the major parties allowing a conscience vote.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I think Tony Abbott can be a flog, this was actually good to read:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/ga...y/news-story/f03c276c28cc9073fefd92bd9bed7f9d

In the aftermath of the Yes victory, Ms Forster, a City of Sydney Liberal councillor, revealed the details of what could have been one of Mr Abbott’s most awkward calls — his admission of defeat.

“It wasn’t long after the result, maybe 30 minutes, It was a good conversation,” Ms Forster told news.com.au.

“We’ve spoke and he congratulated me and he was very magnanimous. He acknowledged that this has been a great result for the Yes team.

“We discussed our shared view that legislation needs to happen quickly and if there are added protections put in to the legislation, then that needs to be proposed, debated and voted on in Parliament and let’s get on with it,” she said.

“Tony and I have a great relationship as brother and sister that transcends our political differences.”

“We’re both grown ups, we respect each other, we agree to disagree but he’s acknowledged this was a great win and I’m very pleased to take it,” she said.

I'm not sure there was a mandate... they may have won... but not hugely. And perhaps confirmation bias has a play in this (from both sides)... I never saw one poll saying people wanted this plebiscite. Not one. Nobody I spoke to. And clearly you have seen things that indicate otherwise. And we are talking about equality for everyone here... what is there to decide? You either want laws to apply equally to all citizens in this country or you don't.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...l/news-story/394b2887fb55bbceedc06b1ba846e806

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back