Political Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The area doesn't have to be populated to make it unpopular...as we've seen.
So that was the point of your initial question?

We've seen nothing so far, 300 odd people and the main gripe was no trust in the government not to * it up.

We've seen nothing so far, 300 odd people and the main gripe was no trust in the government not to **** it up.
And absolutely justified :thumbsu:

chuck it out at Maralinga, we already let the Poms **** that piece of real estate up.
The same piece of real estate that we 'trusted' our government to clean up:thumbsdown:

Can you see the pattern here;)

The same piece of real estate that we 'trusted' our government to clean up:thumbsdown:

Can you see the pattern here;)
yes I can, go back to my last post in here and I've already pointed out they can't be trusted not to * it up.

worth remembering though that for all our Aussie opposition to nuclear power we have about a third of the world's share embedded in our land and happily export the stuff around the world to some of the 400-odd power stations currently in service, each of which are far more dangerous if they were to go wrong than the waste they produce.

transportation is the major risk associated with the waste. It's not that hard to store.

Last edited:
I think the idea of nuclear storage in the SA outback is something that should by bipartisan, and they should be looking at it as something that can shore up the financial future of the state.

I never thought I'd be the one to say this - but treehuggers and politics be damned on this. We need to have a clear new industry revenue source for the state.

cf81778b06b0f25ae20b3b3e233be518.jpg

I think the idea of nuclear storage in the SA outback is something that should by bipartisan, and they should be looking at it as something that can shore up the financial future of the state.

I never thought I'd be the one to say this - but treehuggers and politics be damned on this. We need to have a clear new industry revenue source for the state.
These kind of tree huggers??

C'mon Bicks. You're not a climate change denier, are you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

relapse

Plus I'm pretty sure a cut to payroll tax will be a policy as per last time.

Making it easier on businesses to drive economic growth is a start.

Elite Crow Kristof :thumbsu: :fire:

Haha, We now have a must do for Sunday mornings..."The Outsiders", love the dig at Cassidy and the ABC....;)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...k=f317431739cd7087609928e478a6a10a-1479689676

Mark Latham, Ross Cameron and Rowan Dean, or “Trump’s Aussie Mates”, have teamed up for a new panel show on Sky News called Outsiders.

It is an answer to the ABC’s Insiders program, the embodiment of an out-of-touch, inner-city Leftist class, according to the trio.

Former Labor Party leader, Latham, former Howard government frontbencher, Cameron, and editor of The Spectator magazine, Rowan Dean, hosted a US election-day function called Trump’s Aussie Mates on November 9 in Sydney.

High on Donald Trump’s unexpected victory, the three men joined Sky’s Paul Murray Live that night to discuss and celebrate what had just transpired.

“All three of us over the past 12 months were both supportive of Donald Trump and, more importantly, recognised he would win and kept repeating this despite this meaning the opprobrium of every other media commentator basically,” Dean told The Australian. “I was told I was reprehensible as a human being for even countenancing a Donald Trump victory on Lateline.”

Days after the Paul Murray appearance, an agreement was in place for a new show featuring the trio to air on Sunday mornings at 10am, immediately after Barrie Cassidy’s Insiders on the ABC, with the program to debut on December 4.

“It could be close to a record for the fastest conception of a TV network news program,” Cameron said. “It required two conversations and one email and it took less than 24 hours.”

Latham, known for his Trump-like disdain for political correctness, the establishment and bleeding-heart Lefties, claims credit for the idea.

He said Cassidy’s predictions of a Hillary Clinton landslide victory galvanised his belief there was room in the market for a show that gave voice to Australia’s own silent majority.

“It’s like the ‘Opposite day’ episode of Seinfeld,” Latham said. “If you do the opposite of Barrie Cassidy you’ll get it right.”

Latham predicts the program will enjoy unprecedented access to the White House during the Trump presidency.

“When we want to call team Trump, we just called him direct. We don’t need the Shark,” he said in reference to a News Corp report that Australian golfer Greg Norman had put Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull in touch with the president-elect.

One objective for the program is to gain access to a Human Rights Commission conciliation conference, run by president Gillian Triggs, for a complaint lodged under the controversial section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act, Cameron said.

“Our modest goal is to be the highest-rating show on Sky in three weeks,” he said.

Latham said he was proud there was “absolutely no balance whatsoever” on the panel. “There’s no gender balance. We’re all white. We don’t believe in things like gender balance,” he said.

The hosts declined to divulge their thoughts on Turnbull’s handling of the Trump victory thus far. “You’ll have to watch the show,” they said.

So how do they think the Trump presidency will pan out?

Cameron: “Brilliantly. Two terms.”

Dean: “It will be a proper presidency.”

Latham: “We want Trump to abuse the media and for them to abuse him back and we want more lectures from actors … then a Trump landslide in 2020.”

Why SA is prime territory for a Trump revolution

OPINION

Lampooned by the media, thrown out of regular work into Centrelink queues or insecure and casual jobs, ignored by contemporary politics - South Australia's vast working class has the chance to create real political change, writes Malcolm King.

Economic neoliberalism and the urban cultural left both ignored the sleeping giant – the working class – with the election of Donald Trump as president of the United States.

Trump successfully tapped in to the anger of lower middle class white males, the unemployed and underemployed, who are being gutted by the forces of globalisation, neoliberalism and algorithmic technology. This is history unfolding before our eyes.

Between 1979 and 2013, the wages of the top 1 per cent in America rose after inflation, by 138 per cent. For the bottom 90 per cent, they rose by just 15 per cent, according to statistics compiled by the Economic Policy Institute in Washington DC.

We must return to the UK Enclosure Acts beginning in 1773, to see the genesis of this current turmoil, when tens of thousands of people were displaced and ended up as factory fodder of the industrial revolution. The Luddite movement was a protest, not against progress (a dubious economic concept), but against the use of ‘clock time’ to shackle them to the machines and divorce them from their trades.

The princes of new technology and the lords of international capital now want to take the machines and the factories away from working class men and women and make them scrounge and beg for insecure and casual work. That’s not my idea of progress.

Algorithmic technology or software based ‘equations’, are replacing administrative-based middle-class jobs with ‘robots’, which is widening the gap between the rich and poor. It’s not the rise of the machines but the exit of people.

Higher-paying, middle-class jobs are more secure because they require human judgment and assessment of complex data. Even so, algorithms are replacing recruiters, research tasks for lawyers and some administrative roles. This is only the beginning.

Australian working class people have been mute because contemporary politics gives them no way of telling their stories. So called ‘progressives’ have treated the working class as a source of xenophobia. They are lampooned as bogans and the commercial media brand them as dole bludgers and losers.

For some years I have been writing about unemployment, underemployment and the rise of poverty in South Australia. The reaction of locals to the extermination and offshoring of jobs in Adelaide and regional towns is much the same as Trump voters. While some blame immigration, most recognise that the real threat comes from global forces, which seek to eliminate them completely from the means of production.

The following SA economic figures aren’t trumped up.

The ABS under-utilisation of labour rate in SA, which sums the number of unemployed and the underemployed people, is 19 per cent (trend) and rising. That’s about 156,000 people out of the 811,000 in the state’s labour force. The number of hidden unemployed – those who have given up looking for work – is around 30,000 people and climbing.

The rate of youth unemployment (aged between 15 and 19) in SA is 21 per cent, compared with 18.3 per cent nationally. In real terms, it’s closer to 40 per cent in the Iron Triangle in the state’s north and Adelaide’s northern suburbs.

Private investment has fallen from 7 per cent of Australia’s private investment in 1990 to 5 per cent in 2013.

Per capita incomes are about 80 per cent of the national average and falling as unemployment and underemployment rises. The 2011 Census showed that 40 per cent of households in Port Pirie, a working class town, had a weekly income of less than $600. In Whyalla, only 57 per cent of the labour force is in full-time work.

In 2015 more than 35,000 South Australians were referred to the State Government’s debt recovery unit for not paying their Emergency Services Levy. Most couldn’t pay.

The number of people in Adelaide aged 65 and over is set to double by 2050 to about 370,000 compared to 183,300 in 2011. Age care and dying are boom industries in South Australia.

The Weatherill government is so desperate, it thinks a radioactive dump will fix the state’s problems. Opposition leader Steve Marshall and the Liberals have even less idea. They released a policy document called 2036, which contained no policies. South Australia doesn’t have that long. Of all the states of Australia, South Australia is a prime candidate to ‘do a Trump’.

It’s not just South Australia. Male blue collar unemployment and underemployment is rising in Ipswich, Logan, Caboolture, Bundaberg and Hervey Bay in Queensland; Sydney’s west and Blue Mountains, Canterbury and Bankstown, the Central Coast and Hunter region in NSW; Broadmeadows, Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo in Victoria; south west Perth in WA and northern and north west Tasmania. No amount of retraining will help these men because their jobs have gone.

In the wake of the Reagan revolution, deindustrialisation spread like a cancer along the highways of blue collar America and into Australia. Yet all the mainstream commercial media can talk about is reality TV shows, balance of payments, productivity ratios, superannuation – anything but the plight of Australia’s four million lower wage earners.

The labour movement was created by the losers from the late industrial revolution. Those losers, acting together, created a future that improved life for the overwhelming majority. It’s from the losers that real change comes.

I f***ing hate Mark Latham. I would rather rub deep heat on my eyeballs than watch him on anything.
And here was I thinking the "right" were the only ones that use the word "hate", didn't think that word was in the vocabulary of the progressives in our society...:eek:

Last edited:
Thinking back a week or so, we were discussing how both sides (Coalition & Labor) received low numbers of primary votes in this year's election.

I put Labor's poor vote down to the NXT party. What I didn't do was extrapolate, realising that many of the Coalition's lost voters had turned to the Odd Notion party.

On the left hand side, I think this is a good thing. It's a move away from the extremism of the Greens, back towards the centre. On the right hand side though, it's a very disturbing picture indeed. Rather than moving the Liberals closer to the centre, their votes have been lost to the extreme right wing nut jobs - meaning that the Libs will need to move further to the right if they are to recapture these lost voters. Having either of the major parties moving further away from the centre is a bad thing, particularly when the Libs were already further right of centre than they ever were prior to the election of the Abbott government.

I can't fault Jay Weatherall's endeavor. And this State needs a Premier who wants to roll up his sleeves she get s**t done.

But endeavor is dangerous if you lack 2 key attributes - judgment and execution. Jay severely lacks these 2 in spades. His judgment is terrible, from combining Child Protection & Education, the Citizens Jury, GST, Gillman, etc. all good endeavor but terrible judgment.

And then execution. * me. I reckon RAH would at least be operating now if Rann was still in charge.

I can't believe that Malinauskas is sitting back with his mates from the Right and not thinking who this lefty clown shoe is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back