Political opinions: Conservatives, what lefty soy boy policies do you agree with. Progressives, what fascist pig dog oppressor opinions do you hold?

Remove this Banner Ad

CSL was a public company early in the 20th century.
And in the late 20th century too. It was privatised by Paul Keating.

Research is merely one piece of the pie. Without the manufacturing capabilities of Pfizer and AstraZeneca/CSL, our earliest covid-19 vaccines wouldn't have been possible.
And CSLs capacity could have remained in public hands.

I agree that public funded scientific research is important while maintaining there's a place for private enterprise involvement.
I agree.

I think the issue isn't the movement of money, but the lack of risk.

Stop bail outs. If you make a bad call and you go bust, tough sh*t.
Yeah, the problem underlying the GFC was that the finance sector essentially bets on itself not failing all the time. It should be a risk they have to factor in and it takes the edge off some of the returns. But because they think/know they're too big to fail and will be bailed out, then they can afford to take on more risk than they should, because if they crash the whole system from betting on themselves (as they did during GFC), the public will pick up the tab.

Govts have changed/tinkered with the mechanisms, but not the underlying problem.

Yeah, the problem underlying the GFC was that the finance sector essentially bets on itself not failing all the time. It should be a risk they have to factor in and it takes the edge off some of the returns. But because they think/know they're too big to fail and will be bailed out, then they can afford to take on more risk than they should, because if they crash the whole system from betting on themselves (as they did during GFC), the public will pick up the tab.

Govts have changed/tinkered with the mechanisms, but not the underlying problem.
No the basic problem is the monetary system. Commercial bank credit creates money. Letting banks go bust destroys that money. It sounds nice, sticking it to the bankers, but the reality is different.

Deflation isn't the cuddly solution to recession that the free marketers or students of economics 101 will tell you, in a high debt economy it is a disaster.

Right-wing opinions:
- Voted YES for gay marriage but was otherwise ambivalent about it - I did believe that, while not unimportant, there were bigger issues facing the country (e.g. rising inequality)

- I feel that while some divorces are inevitable, some are unnecessary (IMO breaking up because you don't feel like being married anymore - yes, I've seen that happen - is a bit selfish) and have a negative emotional/financial impact on couples/children involved

- Domestic violence, like human relationships in general, involves complex dynamics wherein both sides are often at fault to varying degrees - women are more likely to report it for cultural reasons (i.e. men feel they won't be taken as seriously), but portraying it as a woman's issue only partially address the problem and is misguided at best and sexist at worst*.

- I believe that trans people should be treated like everybody else, but the idea of changing my own gender makes me wince instinctively

- Corporate tax cuts are not a bad idea in and of themselves, but they would be in this country due to our taxation structure

*Yes, a man can be more at fault than the woman for DV. I'm also not denying what genuine innocents like Rosie Batty went through, of course. I also believe that the people who treat domestic violence as a woman's issue are people, quite often women but sometimes men, who've experienced such relationships themselves - either as children or adults - and so understandably examine such through that prism.

"Treating trans people like everybody else" is a sentiment that your average right-libertarian would agree with TBH.

Even right-wingers don't openly advocate persecuting them.
Huh? The right are well-known for persecuting trans people, often recycling the same arguments used against gay people in previous decades. They shriek and wail at every opportunity about how trans people are predators endangering women, despite trans people being at a far greater risk of being the victim of sexual violence than the average person. Did you not see the furore over the recent Religious Discrimination Bill?

Huh? The right are well-known for persecuting trans people, often recycling the same arguments used against gay people in previous decades. They shriek and wail at every opportunity about how trans people are predators endangering women, despite trans people being at a far greater risk of being the victim of sexual violence than the average person. Did you not see the furore over the recent Religious Discrimination Bill?
Not sure about the average right wing libertarian view on trans people but you'd hope they'd be against the religious discrimination bill on account of their general dislike of government intervention and laws

Your average right-winger on the street, rather than Pentecostal nutters in Parliament.

Should have clarified that.

Is this where the "centrists" get to reveal their right-winged beliefs and still can claim being in the centre?
Well idk where others view me but here are lefty policies I can get behind
  • scrap the stage 3 tax cuts
  • increase jobseeker
  • smash residential property as an investment strategy

Righty policy
  • higher defence spending focused on naval assets (but with clear deliverable outcomes)
  • limitations of medical care goals for high care residential patients

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This, only a lot.

If everyone who called themselves a centrist was actually moderate, society would look very different.

That being said, my most right wing opinion is that not all people should be entitled to having their opinion heard on all things. Not all opinions are created equal, and not all positions are equally valid.
I thought right wing believe all opinions should be heard and (apparently) be free of criticism and consequences

TBH, most people who call themselves libertarians are only libertarians when it's a left wing government or someone painted as a left wing government.

Can you be a libertarian only against the other team?
I’m pretty sure I’m anti libertarian.

Is that currently possible? I don't know enough about reproductive biology to determine.
Implanon or IUD. It would be a policy that would affect women more than men (as the mother is the environment where foetus is developing) as such the policy likely will be aggressively rejected by feminist and equity viewpoints.

No we don’t earn any interest on regular deposits (have a substantial balance and interest is less than $10)

then you have a dud account - anyone putting their savings into a cheque account (for example) is an idiot

then you have a dud account - anyone putting their savings into a cheque account (for example) is an idiot
Yup I’m that type of (lazy) idiot. Savings account not cheque but yes your point is very true

Yup I’m that type of (lazy) idiot. Savings account not cheque but yes your point is very true

its pretty common.

my wife is militant on this s**t, so we only ever have what we need to spend in that account. everything else is in higher earning arrangements

I thought right wing believe all opinions should be heard and (apparently) be free of criticism and consequences

Unless they disagree with your opinion, then you’re fair game:

Implanon or IUD. It would be a policy that would affect women more than men (as the mother is the environment where foetus is developing) as such the policy likely will be aggressively rejected by feminist and equity viewpoints.
Neither of those are perfect at preventing pregnancy. They're contraception, not sterilisation.

Mind you, I do remember reading somewhere that there's an organisation in the US that pays drug-addicted women to get sterilised. Again, I see the point they're making, but there's something that doesn't sit right about it with me unless they've tried to help these women first, by sending them through a rehabilitation program and helping them eliminate the root causes that lead people to abuse drugs (poverty, unstable living situation, unemployment, lack of care in the surrounding community, etc).

Last edited:
Neither of those are perfect at preventing pregnancy. They're contraception, not sterilisation.

Mind you, I do remember reading somewhere that there's an organisation in the US that pays drug-addicted women to get sterilised. Again, I see the point they're making, but there's something that doesn't sit right about it with me unless they've tried to help these women first, by sending them through a rehabilitation program and helping them eliminate the root causes that lead people to abuse drugs (poverty, unstable living situation, unemployment, lack of care in the surrounding community, etc).
Root causes are difficult to address, so perhaps if they also are trying to deal with root cause while treating symptom (with the cash) I'd be ok with it. Yes theres a danger that all they do is treat the symptom, but in reality the root causes are very difficult to address, and maybe too insurmountable for a single organisation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back