Remove this Banner Ad

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
In my day they taught German or French .....about as useful as tits on a bull
I had a choice of French or Indonesian - I took French.

The conventional wisdom was that Indonesian was more likely to be useful because Australia is part of SEA, whereas French was sort of old school Eurocentric and of no practical benefit in Australia.

Fast forward about 20 years, and I was working for a French-owned company. 🤷‍♂️

Crow till I die

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

BRL121

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I had a choice of French or Indonesian - I took French.

The conventional wisdom was that Indonesian was more likely to be useful because Australia is part of SEA, whereas French was sort of old school Eurocentric and of no practical benefit in Australia.

Fast forward about 20 years, and I was working for a French-owned company. 🤷‍♂️
Good choice. I did French and Latin. French has been extremely useful in my collaborations with French scientists (there aren't too many Indonesians). Latin has been very useful in understanding the basis of laguage, and, especially, in noting all the howlers here, including "criteria", instead of "criterion", for the singular. ;)

WaynesWorld19

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

WaynesWorld19

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
OK ...so in todays terms is this funny or offensive .....is comedy above PC ?

Reckon 30% of todays generation would be deeply offended by this .....rushing off to Social Media to educate the other 70%

WaynesWorld19

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
very funny, but nothing anybody would complain about in there.
You're joking surely .....it's everyone's job to complain ....or find something to complain about

“Aboriginal people are saying that there’s an inference that it’s for smart, white people, not for smart, black people,” the website quoted Dr Hagan as saying.

However, Dr Hagan said he had heard from some Indigenous Australians who were indeed unhappy with the name and he wondered why Paul’s international owner had stuck with Smarter White rather than change it to simply “Smarter Milk”.

1629879144291.png

1970crow

Hall of Famer
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
You're joking surely .....it's everyone's job to complain ....or find something to complain about

“Aboriginal people are saying that there’s an inference that it’s for smart, white people, not for smart, black people,” the website quoted Dr Hagan as saying.

However, Dr Hagan said he had heard from some Indigenous Australians who were indeed unhappy with the name and he wondered why Paul’s international owner had stuck with Smarter White rather than change it to simply “Smarter Milk”.

View attachment 1216610
Given the lack of other coloured unflavoured milk, it is a seemingly needless descriptor. Obviously it's a giant leap to see a problem though. But there wasn't anything anti-PC in Rickles roast.

WaynesWorld19

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Given the lack of other coloured unflavoured milk, it is a seemingly needless descriptor. Obviously it's a giant leap to see a problem though. But there wasn't anything anti-PC in Rickles roast.
Rickles was denigrating another human being ....denigrating his wife for marrying Eastwood .....I'm sure there' be elements who would be offended, in fact I'd say it would be impossible to ever get 100% who are happy about anything nowdays

1970crow

Hall of Famer
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rickles was denigrating another human being ....denigrating his wife for marrying Eastwood .....I'm sure there' be elements who would be offended, in fact I'd say it would be impossible to ever get 100% who are happy about anything nowdays
Was pretty mild compared to modern roasts. Have you seen the roast of James Franco? It's pretty good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WaynesWorld19

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Was pretty mild compared to modern roasts. Have you seen the roast of James Franco? It's pretty good.
Some of the earlier roasts were great ....they got a bit contrived later, but agree the Franco one was pretty good

How would all the jokes about Dean Martin's drunkedness be accepted today ? .....offended, laughing at a persons dire drug dependency .....albeit it was mostly an act by Martin

deanc

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
naturally the all blacks name will go at the same time.......surely
Suggest; All Whites be renamed 'All Beige' and the All Blacks shall be known as 'All Dark Greys'.

Although predominately media driven I love what some of this PC nonsense has evolved into, it's almost a new form of comedy..?

The creativity and interpretations from some loonies who wake up in the morning looking for anything to be offended by must be acknowledged. I'm expecting 'black' coffee will soon be on their rename list and surely 'dark' chocolate is also somehow offensive! - ha ha...

Last edited:

deanc

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Aside from the fact this was satirical comedy and that Eastwood and family would have known what was coming, this is essentially rich white people taking the p**s out of rich white people at a function organized and attended by predominately rich white people...!

A classic example of 'virtue signaling' would be if anyone somehow found any reason to be offended by this...

fortunatecrow

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Too long to post in full but an interesting, serious, article on PC in the AFR:

"The dangerous groupthink stalking Wall Street
Political correctness and cancel culture have stunted debate and pose a hidden threat to portfolios. Richard Henderson Markets reporter
Sep 10, 2021 – 10.27am

For decades, David Woo, one of Wall Street’s top analysts, rankled the investment world with bold, contrary calls on politics and the global economy.

From his commanding perch setting the house view on economics and foreign exchange for Bank of America, the second-largest US lender and one of the world’s biggest banks, he predicted Donald Trump’s shock win five years ago and correctly anticipated a knife-edge result in the November election for Joe Biden, when many predicted a landslide for the Democrat.

His energetic on-air sparring with hosts from CNBC and Bloomberg, staples of the business media, amplified his profile and the world’s largest insurers and fund managers sought his counsel. In 2013, he was listed among the dozen smartest minds on Wall Street and two years ago his team topped a ranking of analysts compiled by Institutional Investor magazine.

But in March, he gave it all up. A new, politicised culture has infected Wall Street, he fears, stunting debate and marginalising thinkers like himself who have staked their careers on out-of-favour views that can move markets.

Political correctness, cancel culture and even the rise of sustainable investing over the past few years have sparked an unintended backlash in financial circles, he feels, denting open debate.

WaynesWorld19

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Too long to post in full but an interesting, serious, article on PC in the AFR:

"The dangerous groupthink stalking Wall Street
Political correctness and cancel culture have stunted debate and pose a hidden threat to portfolios. Richard Henderson Markets reporter
Sep 10, 2021 – 10.27am

For decades, David Woo, one of Wall Street’s top analysts, rankled the investment world with bold, contrary calls on politics and the global economy.

From his commanding perch setting the house view on economics and foreign exchange for Bank of America, the second-largest US lender and one of the world’s biggest banks, he predicted Donald Trump’s shock win five years ago and correctly anticipated a knife-edge result in the November election for Joe Biden, when many predicted a landslide for the Democrat.

His energetic on-air sparring with hosts from CNBC and Bloomberg, staples of the business media, amplified his profile and the world’s largest insurers and fund managers sought his counsel. In 2013, he was listed among the dozen smartest minds on Wall Street and two years ago his team topped a ranking of analysts compiled by Institutional Investor magazine.

But in March, he gave it all up. A new, politicised culture has infected Wall Street, he fears, stunting debate and marginalising thinkers like himself who have staked their careers on out-of-favour views that can move markets.

Political correctness, cancel culture and even the rise of sustainable investing over the past few years have sparked an unintended backlash in financial circles, he feels, denting open debate.
Great piece .....my view is going back decades there wasn't enough debate / free speech ...this was bad for minority groups who were constantly marginalised

Social Media allowed debate and a voice for minority groups ......but it's gone a full circle yet again now, where once again any debate or a different POV is immediately labelled & put down .....and it's being put down by the same minority groups that were decades ago marginalised

So they are doing now, what they despised ......lack of debate, expression of a different POV is what is desperately required in any social reforms ....cancel culture is most evil, as it expresses a revenge for past indiscretions

You can't burn every book, destroy every film, refuse to have a joke or laugh .....just remember that in 30 years time another generation will be lambasting this time in history as sinisterly as this generation is of history gone

fortunatecrow

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
So they are doing now, what they despised ......lack of debate, expression of a different POV is what is desperately required in any social reforms ....cancel culture is most evil, as it expresses a revenge for past indiscretions
Too often the response to a different point of view is an automatic "you're wrong because..." when it should actually be a pause and an inward "I wonder why they think that?" The former doesn't resulted in people changing their minds too often!

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad