Opinion Politically Correct Madness

Remove this Banner Ad

A great film.

Remember watching it in the cinema and was laughing so much I missed half the jokes. One of the absolute comedy classics.

We, as in society, take ourselves far too seriously nowadays. Unfortunately, we try to impose todays values on what happened years ago.

I remember the first time I saw Flying High too. My young cousin was over abd we hired flying high and some kid movie. We watched both and when asked if he washed to watch his movie again he said he no and he wanted to watch High in the Sky. Impossible to watch too many times.

View attachment 1283313 View attachment 1283314

It's almost impossible to favor one social reform without offending another reform ! ......yet no-one will taalk about it
This should be big big news in the UK. They were going to go the full monty at cricket clubs over what Rafiq was complaining about and now this comes out..Hypocrisy. Its hard to think how someone could therefore be so offended like he says he was whilst on the other hand targeting Jews and not thinking that was wrong

This should be big big news in the UK. They were going to go the full monty at cricket clubs over what Rafiq was complaining about and now this comes out..Hypocrisy. Its hard to think how someone could therefore be so offended like he says he was whilst on the other hand targeting Jews and not thinking that was wrong
Not being there I don't know how "big" this story is, but I understand that anti-Semitism is a much higher-profile issue over there. The UK Labour Party in particular has been accused of having an inbuilt anti-Semitism problem.

There does seem to be an argument running that it is a double standard to condemn the Yorkshire CCC (and/or particular people) for what has been alleged by Rafiq, but without the same outrage about what he has said.

The other aspect is the attempt by some to extend criticism of whatever "institutional" racism there might have been in the Yorkshire CCC, to a wider condemnation of UK society in general - the narrative that the UK is a systemically racist / bigoted society.

Not being there I don't know how "big" this story is, but I understand that anti-Semitism is a much higher-profile issue over there. The UK Labour Party in particular has been accused of having an inbuilt anti-Semitism problem.

There does seem to be an argument running that it is a double standard to condemn the Yorkshire CCC (and/or particular people) for what has been alleged by Rafiq, but without the same outrage about what he has said.

The other aspect is the attempt by some to extend criticism of whatever "institutional" racism there might have been in the Yorkshire CCC, to a wider condemnation of UK society in general - the narrative that the UK is a systemically racist / bigoted society.
oh absolutely. The UK has had some awful problems with that very issue in recent times where it was perceived to be worse to be seen as a racist than to protect the lives of children being groomed by Asian pedophile gangs in places like Rotheram and Birmingham. The councils were deliberately turning a blind eye to crimes so as not be seem racist targeting Pakistani gangs grooming children for sex

The calibration over there has gone way way too far

Its true.. that is what happened and they were absolutely pillored for it
Have to be so carefull these days ....you're walking on egg shells ....anyway, I had to google a couple of words for a post recently, to ensure I got the "majority" opinion on acceptability

Have to be so carefull these days ....you're walking on egg shells ....anyway, I had to google a couple of words for a post recently, to ensure I got the "majority" opinion on acceptability
See, I hear you but I think that when it comes to something like what happened in the UK with the grooming gangs, those who consciously made the decision to instruct police etc to not investigate for the fear of racism should be deemed equal as the ones doing the crime. How dare they allow children to be victims all in the name of being politically correct - it is a scourge when this sort of stuff happens

Its true.. that is what happened and they were absolutely pillored for it
Yes, but as far as I now there have been few, if any, consequences.

I found it hard to believe when I first read about it, but I've seen it reported on / commented on (with references / sources) from a number of what I believe are credible sources, with no credible pushback or counter-argument... I think it's pretty much accepted that there was at the very least a reluctance in some police forces in the relevant places to pursue the suspicions / allegations, for fear of "community disharmony" or whatever.

Yes, but as far as I now there have been few, if any, consequences.

I found it hard to believe when I first read about it, but I've seen it reported on / commented on (with references / sources) from a number of what I believe are credible sources, with no credible pushback or counter-argument... I think it's pretty much accepted that there was at the very least a reluctance in some police forces in the relevant places to pursue the suspicions / allegations, for fear of "community disharmony" or whatever.
The gang members iirc are in jail. Not sure about the Council heads, police heads etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This should be big big news in the UK. They were going to go the full monty at cricket clubs over what Rafiq was complaining about and now this comes out..Hypocrisy. Its hard to think how someone could therefore be so offended like he says he was whilst on the other hand targeting xx Jews and not thinking that was wrong

His claims aren't invalidated just because he's a piece of s**t.

I know the COVID thread is closed, but just wanted to add these snippets about our experience travelling here this week. Had to complete the border pass a week before arrival and told to print it out and bring it with us. On arrival we walk up the ramp and there’s a slew of people but nobody asked to see it. All they had was a guy yelling out “if anyone has been in a hotspot in last 14 days, let us know”. Everyone just kept walking. Then you have to checkin using the QR code and show someone you’ve checked in. My hubby doesn’t have a phone and in Qld I can check him in on my QR code. He just walked through with the crowd and nobody noticed. It’s a clumsy system. This morning on arrival, there’s a long queue for COVID testing - at least an hour wait. Presumably these are people from VIC/NSW.

I know the COVID thread is closed, but just wanted to add these snippets about our experience travelling here this week. Had to complete the border pass a week before arrival and told to print it out and bring it with us. On arrival we walk up the ramp and there’s a slew of people but nobody asked to see it. All they had was a guy yelling out “if anyone has been in a hotspot in last 14 days, let us know”. Everyone just kept walking. Then you have to checkin using the QR code and show someone you’ve checked in. My hubby doesn’t have a phone and in Qld I can check him in on my QR code. He just walked through with the crowd and nobody noticed. It’s a clumsy system. This morning on arrival, there’s a long queue for COVID testing - at least an hour wait. Presumably these are people from VIC/NSW.
My query is ....in Victoria we have a clear mandate of showing vaccination status to get into any non-essential retail outlet ....QR code still mandatory

Yet I go to Supermarkets, no-one checks on whether I've done the QR thing ....no-one checks on vaccination status

I'm guessing it's more dangerous to go into a Dress shop withh 4-5 customers, than a Supermarket with a few hundred :think:

My query is ....in Victoria we have a clear mandate of showing vaccination status to get into any non-essential retail outlet ....QR code still mandatory

Yet I go to Supermarkets, no-one checks on whether I've done the QR thing ....no-one checks on vaccination status

I'm guessing it's more dangerous to go into a Dress shop withh 4-5 customers, than a Supermarket with a few hundred :think:
Given the random occurrence of tough guys abusing staff, I guess they don’t want to put themselves in danger.

Given the random occurrence of tough guys abusing staff, I guess they don’t want to put themselves in danger.
You could say the same about hospitaility venues ....I'd argue a 17 yo waitress is more vulnerable in a mum/dad cafe, than a large corporate like Woolworths / Coles

In Hotels and larger venues requiring security, they are doing the QR checks and vac status .....given that what you say is absolutely true, why aren't Supermarkets utilizing Security in a similar fashion ? ...... $$$$$$

So glad to hear this .....in Australia, we're all Australians too
I don't get how you transplant an American actor's comments to Australia.

I sometimes find it hard to see that "Australian" means much more than living under local laws, with a small amount of shared culture with some other people that I happened to meet through my life here. That's not to say that life hasn't been good, but there are a ton of places in the world I could have lived a similar life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back