Play Nice Politics #3 - Covideo killed the radio star

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that makes sense, in some sort of perverted anti climate changing neanderthal sort of way.

Climate change doesn’t create bushfires, it just increases the intensity of them.
Why didn’t you vote for the party with the climate change policies you wanted!!!!

Anyone heard how the Sudanese Crime situation in Victoria is going lately? That seems to have died down since the election.

A recent story about a colleague being robbed at knife point after finishing a late shift at Sunshine Hospital has been doing the rounds on medical social media pages with outrage at hospital management for blaming the victim and not informing staff of the potential threats. A second attack on a doctor at the same hospital in broad daylight by "assailants of an African appearance" matching those involved in the first attack has now made the news.

Interesting to note that a recent review of the 2018 Victorian state election found that the Liberals attempting to politicise African gang crime failed to resonate with the electorate, but Matthew Guy having a lobster dinner with a suspected mafia boss turned lots of supporters off completely.

It is a no brainer then one throws in low stagnant wage growth (and what is the government doing about that) then add decreasing deposit interest rates for the retirees (well done RBA as it hits those with money in fixed deposits etc.). Finally you have people overcommitted on their mortgage (we have one of the highest consumer debt highs in the world). Not much level for consumption.

You don’t need to be an economic genius that it is a house of cards.

Rate cuts have reduced income for those reliant on fixed incomes (which I believe is up to a third of the population) to the point where even the latest RBA minutes have commented on rate cuts not stimulating the economy as expected. I can recall previous statements where they stated that reducing interest rates would encourage mortgage holders to reduce their payments to the minimum and spend the extra, but this has always seemed completely irrational. I think people have instead decided that paying off debt while rates are low is more sensible, which has resulted in less discretionary spending burning retail, which will probably have follow-on effects on unemployment starting a vicious cycle.

A lot of the small business owners I know are struggling compared to previous years, and this negativity has been the theme from about late last year. There is usually a run up in sales prior to Christmas, but no-one seems particularly confident this year. Some of the Real Estate guys I know were relieved after the election as there'd been some talk that a lot would have left the industry, but the problem now seems to be a lack of stock for sale which has impacted on their ability to sell advertising, take sales commissions and fund their business. Some areas are doing a lot worse than others, so while the media is talking up rising prices as a headline average, this isn't necessarily being reflected on the ground.

As for stagnant wage growth, this seems to be by design. We appear to be hell bent on increasing GDP via immigration, whilst ignoring the obvious effect this has on per-capita GDP and reduced living standards and quality of life. Policies to import skilled migrants on a wage lower than the average essentially reduces incomes while increasing demand for health services, housing etc which are all increasing in price.

Rate cuts have reduced income for those reliant on fixed incomes (which I believe is up to a third of the population) to the point where even the latest RBA minutes have commented on rate cuts not stimulating the economy as expected. I can recall previous statements where they stated that reducing interest rates would encourage mortgage holders to reduce their payments to the minimum and spend the extra, but this has always seemed completely irrational. I think people have instead decided that paying off debt while rates are low is more sensible, which has resulted in less discretionary spending burning retail, which will probably have follow-on effects on unemployment starting a vicious cycle.

A lot of the small business owners I know are struggling compared to previous years, and this negativity has been the theme from about late last year. There is usually a run up in sales prior to Christmas, but no-one seems particularly confident this year. Some of the Real Estate guys I know were relieved after the election as there'd been some talk that a lot would have left the industry, but the problem now seems to be a lack of stock for sale which has impacted on their ability to sell advertising, take sales commissions and fund their business. Some areas are doing a lot worse than others, so while the media is talking up rising prices as a headline average, this isn't necessarily being reflected on the ground.

As for stagnant wage growth, this seems to be by design. We appear to be hell bent on increasing GDP via immigration, whilst ignoring the obvious effect this has on per-capita GDP and reduced living standards and quality of life. Policies to import skilled migrants on a wage lower than the average essentially reduces incomes while increasing demand for health services, housing etc which are all increasing in price.

You are correct - interest rate cuts when they get to the point we are now at are meaningless. The economy now needs fiscal stimulus not monetary, the RBA can’t pull anymore levers. To put it quite frankly, the RBA cupboard is bare.

The pressure in all this will fall on small business, big corporates can wear the tide, small business not so much. It will further empower the big companies.

Spoke to my former colleagues and they have said, business lending and home lending growth in the business market is nonexistent. People are paying back debt.

You only need to see, retail sales are barely growing, car sales are slumping, low wage growth which will stifle and strangle the economy and yet all the media focus on is house prices increasing. WTF!

But what will our economic geniuses (we know who you are) on here think.

Oh and nothing to see - and in a time where interest rates are at record lows! And as this when the Coalition has been in government for 17 of the past 23 years. And let’s partly solve the problem as a Fraudenberg thought bubble - get those over 65 retrained. My god, what will they think of next. Well done chaps.

Last edited:
You are correct - interest rate cuts when they get to the point we are now at are meaningless. The economy now needs fiscal stimulus not monetary, the RBA can’t pull anymore levers. To put it quite frankly, the RBA cupboard is bare.

The pressure in all this will fall on small business, big corporates can wear the tide, small business not so much. It will further empower the big companies.

Spoke to my former colleagues and they have said, business lending and home lending growth in the business market is nonexistent. People are paying back debt.

You only need to see, retail sales are barely growing, car sales are slumping, low wage growth which will stifle and strangle the economy and yet all the media focus on is house prices increasing. WTF!

Oh and nothing to see - and in a time where interest rates are at record lows! And as this when the Coalition has been in government for 17 of the past 23 years. And let’s partly solve the problem as a Fraudenberg thought bubble - get those over 65 retrained. My god, what will they think of next. Well done chaps.

It seems you regret flip flopping, not voting labor and instead wasting your vote. As I said your in no position to whinge, you had your chance flip flop.

Did see something about $1.5B or so being brought forward from Feds via the states for shovel ready infrastructure projects. I like this form of stimulus spending if it provides ongoing future dividends in terms of reduced fuel use or increased public transport. But it’s a soft economy for sure, there’s not a lot of room to screw up spending decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we're arguing at cross-purposes here - Clinton received nearly 3,000,000 more votes, so she couldn't have been on the nose with voters - she just didn't get voters in the right *places*.

Wonder if the Democrats will work that out this time.

Hillary stopped spending 3 weeks out, they thought they'd won. When the fbi confirmed the podesta emails shortly after, only the faithful, Voted for her.

She had 500 out of 1.3.billion dollar kitty left. She had the major players in the Media, in those states she did well in, bribed. But she couldn't get at the rest. Hence why the podesta emails hit home.

Anyone who thinks they know anything about American politics, those emails confirmed by the fbi, a must read.

Ignorance is a choice, in this the age of information.

France is heavily nuclear?? For CO2 minimisation and generation of required power it’s hard to beat it but the anti-nuclear religion is a hard one to budge. I want the planet to end up 100% renewable and I accept that electricity costs will increase as a result. But rapidly increasing electricity prices is unfair on the many people who live from week to week. Having said that, part of the solution is demand reduction and higher prices do that. But there’s only so far that it’s reasonable to expect people to reduce usage.
What drugs are you on?

France is reducing its reliance on nukes to cut greenhouse emissions. Phasing them out.

Man, I feel Sorry for those that listen to you.

It seems you regret flip flopping, not voting labor and instead wasting your vote. As I said your in no position to whinge, you had your chance flip flop.
Hey Kirky, lets play a game, we'll call it guess what Elite's next comments to you will be...

I'll take the first turn.

Blah blah blah flip flopping blah blah not voting labor blah blah why didn't you vote on your position blah blah

Did see something about $1.5B or so being brought forward from Feds via the states for shovel ready infrastructure projects. I like this form of stimulus spending if it provides ongoing future dividends in terms of reduced fuel use or increased public transport. But it’s a soft economy for sure, there’s not a lot of room to screw up spending decisions.
I think its more than that, lets say it was 4 billion though, that's 0.3% of GDP! We need something like >2.5% of GDP ($30 billion plus).

What drugs are you on?

France is reducing its reliance on nukes to cut greenhouse emissions. Phasing them out.

Man, I feel Sorry for those that listen to you.
I dunno how far back you got that quote from, but 1970 is correct. Nukes are one form of low carbon energy. You can be for nuclear at the moment or even on the fence, but if you are against them, then I don't think you quite understand the picture of replacing our fossil fuel energy supply, reducing carbon emissions and meeting a minimum EROEI and doing this all within the time required.

Hey Kirky, lets play a game, we'll call it guess what Elite's next comments to you will be...

I'll take the first turn.

Blah blah blah flip flopping blah blah not voting labor blah blah why didn't you vote on your position blah blah
You got it!!! I do like the added touch of blah blah though

Another tone deaf comment from ScoMo.

Remember this is the same bloke who was fired/sacked from Australia Tourism for alleged fraud and theft and also similar questions were raised over his departure from Tourism New Zealand which he left in a hurry in 2000.

The man is a marketeer and nothing more.

That is all you got because everything economically this country is currently going in the wrong direction and your happy clapper PM, the marketer and slogan man, hasn’t any answers other than him and Fraudenberg hanging onto grim death for their “precious”.

I”ll be expecting more of the same blah, blah, blah, flip flop, blah, blah, blah.

But it probably would be the last thing that Coalitions are interested in is public transport. In addition, it will take time for these projects to get up and running as they still need buyin from the respective State Governments who also contribute anywhere between 20-50%.

At the moment it is all words from the slogan man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back