Play Nice Politics #3 - Covideo killed the radio star

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn’t that driven by supply and demand?
It's driven by the Government having a plan, which determines what cars the car makers bring to Australia. The industry have asked the Government & got back nada, so they make limited models unavailable.

We have far less electric cars than NZ as a total, because their Government has a plan.

That doesn’t push me into an electric vehicle. Manufacturers send what will sell. You’re talking about tariffs on non complying vehicles or rebates on complying vehicles. They’re the levers the govt has, hip pocket. I’m not fussed if they go down that path. But they’re not telling manufacturers what to send to our market, that’s an outrageous suggestion. Not sure if it’s true, but I was told decades ago that in Japan vehicle registration increased each year as the car aged or after a certain period to keep people turning over cars.

That doesn’t push me into an electric vehicle. Manufacturers send what will sell. You’re talking about tariffs on non complying vehicles or rebates on complying vehicles. They’re the levers the govt has, hip pocket. I’m not fussed if they go down that path. But they’re not telling manufacturers what to send to our market, that’s an outrageous suggestion. Not sure if it’s true, but I was told decades ago that in Japan vehicle registration increased each year as the car aged or after a certain period to keep people turning over cars.
The manufacturers have asked the Government for a plan... do any research.... It's more outrageous you are making claims without any. ;) Having no plan has slowed the take up of electrical cars in Australia.

And you're ever so smart esteemed one.

Well I reckon I am given I’ve retired at 57, well established financially (looking forward to those dividend tax credits refunds when I turn 60), got a few hobbies (red wine and travelling for starters) and helping a mate out in his small business with gardening jobs (pro bono). Yep, life is great.

The manufacturers have asked the Government for a plan... do any research.... It's more outrageous you are making claims without any. ;) Having no plan has slowed the take up of electrical cars in Australia.

you know that in Australia we have state governments. Not really much in this ‘plan’ that the Feds have control over. Could roll out the information campaign I suppose. You’re a smart guy, what do you think would make a difference to the Australian market? I won’t ask if you have one, pretty sure you’re a PT guy. But is your family car electric? If not, why not? And don’t just blame the Commonwealth Govt for a lack of “plan”. I looked into one a couple of years back, didn’t go through with it. I’m sure many have done the same. It’s a financial and infrastructure decision. I think making available a big number 0% loan fund for charging infrastructure would be a great start to providing a positive lead to manufacturers. I’d consider upping petrol taxes to skew the economics towards electric/hybrid once the infrastructure has improved courtesy of the loan scheme. Fringe benefit is pushing people towards PT. Repeating the word, “plan”, especially given NZ’s complete different government set up isn’t particularly engaging.

https://www.transport.govt.nz/multi-modal/climatechange/electric-vehicles/

you know that in Australia we have state governments. Not really much in this ‘plan’ that the Feds have control over. Could roll out the information campaign I suppose. You’re a smart guy, what do you think would make a difference to the Australian market? I won’t ask if you have one, pretty sure you’re a PT guy. But is your family car electric? If not, why not? And don’t just blame the Commonwealth Govt for a lack of “plan”. I looked into one a couple of years back, didn’t go through with it. I’m sure many have done the same. It’s a financial and infrastructure decision. I think making available a big number 0% loan fund for charging infrastructure would be a great start to providing a positive lead to manufacturers. I’d consider upping petrol taxes to skew the economics towards electric/hybrid once the infrastructure has improved courtesy of the loan scheme. Fringe benefit is pushing people towards PT. Repeating the word, “plan”, especially given NZ’s complete different government set up isn’t particularly engaging.

https://www.transport.govt.nz/multi-modal/climatechange/electric-vehicles/
Good article!

I'm not going to claim to be an expert in this area, but the common theme is that Australian Governments have not had a plan, unlike most Western countries. It's about creating certainty for the industry & consumers. Similar to our lack of an energy policy, it curtails investment because no one knows what the long term plan is. Car manufacturers have not provided all their available models to the Australian market because of the lack certainly.

We should have a long term plan, which encourages the growth of EV use, including the use of incentives or disincentives for cars polluting the environment. Currently motor vehicles are the 2nd major factor in our carbon emissions, so it is something that would benefit our environment long term. Prefer this than reducing our cattle numbers.

To develop a plan we should be learning from countries that have had a successful uptake. E.g. What has oil rich Norway done to have more than 40% EV's.

We pay our politicians for setting policy to make Australia a better place, yet on many key issues like this they have been lacking.

Good article!

I'm not going to claim to be an expert in this area, but the common theme is that Australian Governments have not had a plan, unlike most Western countries. It's about creating certainty for the industry & consumers. Similar to our lack of an energy policy, it curtails investment because no one knows what the long term plan is. Car manufacturers have not provided all their available models to the Australian market because of the lack certainly.

We should have a long term plan, which encourages the growth of EV use, including the use of incentives or disincentives for cars polluting the environment. Currently motor vehicles are the 2nd major factor in our carbon emissions, so it is something that would benefit our environment long term. Prefer this than reducing our cattle numbers.

To develop a plan we should be learning from countries that have had a successful uptake. E.g. What has oil rich Norway done to have more than 40% EV's.

We pay our politicians for setting policy to make Australia a better place, yet on many key issues like this they have been lacking.
And by far Norway's biggest export and it's major income source is derived from fossil fuel....

And by far Norway's biggest export and it's major income source is derived from fossil fuel....
Indeed, I mentioned that in my quote... yet they are one of the countries with one of the biggest uptake in EV's.

Also, one of the most expensive countries to live in. Can remember my meal in Oslo cost a fortune compared to other parts of Scandinavia & they have tolls for nearly every tunnel/bridge in their Fiord area. Beautiful part of the world though!

Take "fossil fuels" as an income source out of a lot of countries economy and they are absolutely stuffed.
Sure.

Take our natural resources income out of our economy & we are stuffed too.

More reason why we should be developing other industries don't you think so we become less reliant on them...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure.

Take our natural resources income out of our economy & we are stuffed too.

More reason why we should be developing other industries don't you think so we become less reliant on them...
Doesn't Australia have the World's largest Uranium reserves something like a third of the World's reserves?

Whether people like the idea or not if they're serious about cutting our emissions then Uranium Power Plants should be replacing the Coal Powered Plants in a timely fashion as a reliable baseload energy source for when the sun goes down and the wind is not blowing.

Adam Creighton makes some very good and substantive points in his article.

Why Australia needs to consider nuclear power to meet energy needs
Here is a reliable power source that’s almost totally emissions-free and produces no air pollution. And while the main rational argument against nuclear power has been the cost, that now appears to be falling.
Rather than wasting millions of dollars on a royal commission that will recommend common sense, Scott Morrison could have channelled the deluge of exhortations to “do something” about climate change into a concrete plan.
“These bushfires are a wake-up call. The only way to seriously slash our carbon dioxide emissions without destroying the economy is to replace our coal-fired power stations with state of the art nuclear energy, which emits zero emissions,” the Prime Minister could have said.
“Wind and solar power will continue to be an important part of the energy mix, but without a reliable, totally emissions-free source of energy we cannot realistically curb our emissions dramatically. One kilogram of uranium has as much energy at 2000 tonnes of coal. Japan and Germany have recently illustrated the folly of shifting away from nuclear power,” he might have added.
“France and Sweden, which now have some of the lowest per capita carbon emissions in the world, replaced their entire coal grid with nuclear power in about 15 years and 20 years, respectively. We can do it too,” he should have gone on.
The main rational argument against nuclear power has been the cost, but this appears to be falling. Last year GE Hitachi told a parliamentary inquiry it could build a small nuclear reactor for $1bn. NuScale, another supplier, said it could build a large one for $US3bn. This is affordable; the government already has wasted billions of dollars on ineffective renewable energy schemes.
Cost blowouts on new reactors in Britain and the US stem from a long lull in construction. The West is forgetting how to build them. China, meanwhile, is doubling its nuclear capacity across the next few years, and creating a hi-tech workforce in the process, apprised of the idea that powering an economy of 1.4 billion people solely with solar and wind is ridiculous.
“Reactors are expected to be connected in South Korea, Belarus, Russia, Finland, the United Arab Emirates, India, Slovakia and Argentina by 2022. Constructions are also progressing in Turkey, Abu Dhabi and Bangladesh, with a further 25 countries considering, planning or progressing programs,” Australia’s Department of Industry, Innovation and Science notes in its latest resources quarterly.
In any case shifting entirely to solar and wind power would cost vastly more, even if it were technically feasible. The cost and scale of batteries to ensure reliable power supply when the sun isn’t shining or the wind isn’t blowing would be immense. Economist Geoff Carmody has estimated it would cost, conservatively, more than $400bn in batteries alone to ensure a reliable electricity supply from wind and solar.

Doesn't Australia have the World's largest Uranium reserves something like a third of the World's reserves?

Whether people like the idea or not if they're serious about cutting our emissions then Uranium Power Plants should be replacing the Coal Powered Plants in a timely fashion as a reliable baseload energy source for when the sun goes down and the wind is not blowing.

Adam Creighton makes some very good and substantive points in his article.

Why Australia needs to consider nuclear power to meet energy needs
It's something that should be more seriously considered as an option. Our state government commissioned a report & then basically shelved it because they thought it would cost them votes.

Problem is people have Fukashima & Chernobyl in the back of their minds.

Lol, get rid of all our bush.

Problem solved...

Yes, I know the headline was simplistic & not reflecting the article.

It's gathering a head of steam....not only in Australia either.

Indigenous fire knowledge the latest Australian export in an emerging global wildfire crisis

It's gathering a head of steam....not only in Australia either.

Indigenous fire knowledge the latest Australian export in an emerging global wildfire crisis
You would think we would be making more of our Indigenous expertise to manage our land against fires.

Hopefully this will come out in the review.

Haha that reverse gear in Albo's electric vehicles is getting plenty of use with all the backpedalling the poor buggers doing lately on the election result outcome....Shorten's 45% not enough it seems....let's see him trying to sell that to the public without a clear costing.

Last edited:
Haha that reverse gear in Albo's electric vehicles is getting plenty of use with all the backpedalling the poor buggers doing lately on the election result outcome....Shorten's 45% not enough it seems....let's see him trying to sell that to the public without a clear costing.

A safe and smart strategy.

Lets see what Coalition do for the next two years leading up to the election. It is all in their court. They do nothing then the ALP become the easy winner on this issue.

A safe and smart strategy.

Lets see what Coalition do for the next two years leading up to the election. It is all in their court. They do nothing then the ALP become the easy winner on this issue.
Yeah just like the 2019 Election....The key component of the ALP's election platform. Wonder if 3 years is long enough for the ALP to come up with watertight costing figures that the voters will buy this time?

Yeah just like the 2019 Election....The key component of the ALP's election platform. Wonder if 3 years is long enough for the ALP to come up with watertight costing figures that the voters will buy this time?
The voters are now far more aware of the cost of doing nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back