Play Nice Politics # 4 - The madness continues here.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD NOTICE

Abusing and/or trolling other posters in this thread will not be tolerated from this point on.

Debate away and continue to have strong opinions, but abusing posters ie calling them idiots/stupid etc or trolling posters by laugh liking their posts will not be tolerated going forward.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be counting on anything before October as the whole country (those that wish to be) will need to be vaccinated.
Why everyone, if some will refuse anyway. The vulnerable will be done by June, so should be ok conditionally, after then. I would go and quarantine on return if they require so I cant see a difference really if it doesnt stop the virus from transmission fully.

Why everyone, if some will refuse anyway. The vulnerable will be done by June, so should be ok conditionally, after then. I would go and quarantine on return if they require so I cant see a difference really if it doesnt stop the virus from transmission fully.

Trust me I want to get on a plane as well overseas. I’d like to go to the US and see my friends in Boston towards the end of the year but I’m not confident the Feds will allow anything until all those who want to get vaccinated are vaccinated.

Currently, I’ve booked flights within Australia for footy trips for rounds 2 and 4 and then my 60th to Cairns/Port Douglas/Ayers Rock. I’m so desperate for footy and plane travel.

So we have companies, like Harvey Norman, that got over $6m in JobKeeper and yet their profit doubles over the past 12 months. Nick Scali the same (and not all returned either). That is just two companies and let us not even start counting private companies.

And yet we had the whinging of the Right when dead people received cheques - the total amount wasted in the GFC handouts - approx $18m (quote from a Coalition member). Yes, that’s right punters $18m.

https://keithpitt.com.au/news/second-reading-900-stimulus-cheques/

Coalition - better managers of money? That would be a no.

One could go on - the over $400m to the Great Barrier Reef Foundation or the NBN over budget (for a second rate system). They certainly know how to waste money or give it to their mates. Totally and utterly corrupt.

So we have companies, like Harvey Norman, that got over $6m in JobKeeper and yet their profit doubles over the past 12 months. Nick Scali the same (and not all returned either). That is just two companies and let us not even start counting private companies.

And yet we had the whinging of the Right when dead people received cheques - the total amount wasted in the GFC handouts - approx $18m (quote from a Coalition member). Yes, that’s right punters $18m.

https://keithpitt.com.au/news/second-reading-900-stimulus-cheques/

Coalition - better managers of money? That would be a no.

One could go on - the over $400m to the Great Barrier Reef Foundation or the NBN over budget (for a second rate system). They certainly know how to waste money or give it to their mates. Totally and utterly corrupt.
Bring back robodebt but point it at the businesses (and don't * it up this time).

Last edited:
Trust me I want to get on a plane as well overseas. I’d like to go to the US and see my friends in Boston towards the end of the year but I’m not confident the Feds will allow anything until all those who want to get vaccinated are vaccinated.

Currently, I’ve booked flights within Australia for footy trips for rounds 2 and 4 and then my 60th to Cairns/Port Douglas/Ayers Rock. I’m so desperate for footy and plane travel.

A lot of people are getting itchy feet, us Aussies sure like to travel.

I would expect by the end of the year we should be OK to travel OS.

Alleged rape by a sitting cabinet member.... but many years ago & victim recently took her own life.

Gather it may be the CP, given his past... though SA Police were investigating to that points at SB, but she may have moved states.

Edit - the alleged incident occurred in NSW. Couldn't imagine it being SB.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring back robodebt but point it at the businesses (and don't fu** it up this time).

As I've said, robo debt can work very easily. Not the moronic way it was implemented in the past. All you need to do is legislate pay periods to match the human services pay period. Single touch payroll then integrates with human services and you've got a live system. People's safety nets can be adjusted on a fortnightly basis. It's so simple, everything required is already in place.

WRT the jobseeker allowance, I must reiterate, I don't have a view whether it's enough or not, but I do have a strong view on the fact that the deduction method discourages people seeking further work. The way they reduce allowance against earnings is entirely counterintuitive. It's the height of stupidity. There is literally no benefit to a person who gets a shift once a week to seek a second shift and ultimately transition away from support. Getting work is punitive, it's *ed.

The Age turning up the heat:

"As dawn broke on one of the most fateful days of his premiership, Daniel Andrews’ first waking thought was Linfox. It was March 27, 2020. In a matter of hours, Andrews would dial into a national cabinet meeting and advocate for returned travellers to be quarantined in city hotels, a policy that would ultimately carry disastrous consequences for Victoria. But at 6.37am, his immediate priority was to ensure the family business of his friend and corporate mentor Lindsay Fox was kept in the loop....

On his own side of politics there are concerns that his special relationship with one of Australia’s richest and most influential families is clouding his political judgement and potentially compromising his government...

Victorian government insiders who spoke to The Age in confidence said the Premier had a tendency to champion ideas pitched by the Fox family for which the commercial benefit to Linfox was clear."

You're at an interesting point when your own side and your own advisers are prepared to brief the press.

WRT the jobseeker allowance, I must reiterate, I don't have a view whether it's enough or not, but I do have a strong view on the fact that the deduction method discourages people seeking further work. The way they reduce allowance against earnings is entirely counterintuitive. It's the height of stupidity. There is literally no benefit to a person who gets a shift once a week to seek a second shift and ultimately transition away from support. Getting work is punitive, it's ******ed.
This is absolutely true. As someone who used to work a casual job at Coles, the amount of people who turned down hours because it affected their Centrelink was staggering. The current system definitely incentivises laziness. I don't really blame people either. It's not hard to do a basic calculation and realise that if you go over that threshold, you're essentially working for peanuts.

This is absolutely true. As someone who used to work a casual job at Coles, the amount of people who turned down hours because it affected their Centrelink was staggering. The current system definitely incentivises laziness. I don't really blame people either. It's not hard to do a basic calculation and realise that if you go over that threshold, you're essentially working for peanuts.

Ordinary people are stupid. Not meaning to be mean, but that's how it is. No idea about their award/EBA, no clue about how tax works, people just work. And that's how shonky/incompetent business get away with huge underpayments. But they do know when you take money from them. If it was up to me, I'd give people on jobseeker a scaled bonus to get extra paid work. I get the logic behind current practice, it's just that it's entirely wrong.

Ordinary people are stupid. Not meaning to be mean, but that's how it is. No idea about their award/EBA, no clue about how tax works, people just work. And that's how shonky/incompetent business get away with huge underpayments. But they do know when you take money from them. If it was up to me, I'd give people on jobseeker a scaled bonus to get extra paid work. I get the logic behind current practice, it's just that it's entirely wrong.
I doubt our government would ever introduce bonus's but working more hours shouldn't be punitive. It just encourages mediocrity.

I doubt our government would ever introduce bonus's but working more hours shouldn't be punitive. It just encourages mediocrity.

It's not just current government, other mob had 2 terms to fix this for their actual supporter base. It's crystal clear to me, but must be toxic at some level because neither side seem to ever bother leaking that they're even thinking about it.

So Nicole Flint is leaving parliament because of toxic culture.

Seems like there needs to be an overhaul of the parliament working environment & higher standards for these protected well paid species.

So Nicole Flint is leaving parliament because of toxic culture.

Seems like there needs to be an overhaul of the parliament working environment & higher standards for these protected well paid species.

She had some political opponents targeting her in a way that was somewhere between harassment and stalking. May have also had the issues you refer to, I don't know, but at least a large part of it was behaviour of people near her electorate.

She had some political opponents targeting her in a way that was somewhere between harassment and stalking. May have also had the issues you refer to, I don't know, but at least a large part of it was behaviour of people near her electorate.
Didn't she have people taking photos of her through her home windows or some crazy s**t?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back