Play Nice Politics # 4 - The madness continues here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
MOD NOTICE

Abusing and/or trolling other posters in this thread will not be tolerated from this point on.

Debate away and continue to have strong opinions, but abusing posters ie calling them idiots/stupid etc or trolling posters by laugh liking their posts will not be tolerated going forward.

Last edited:
May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Kids catch and transmit influenza at a higher rate. So you could justify all that nonsense for flu season, forever more,
if that was your reasoning.
Covid is more contagious than the flu. We've known this for ages. At this point we haven't even fully rolled out the vaccine, whereas the flu vaccine is readily accessible. False equivalencies seem to be your go-to around here but you need to stop comparing the Flu to Corona.

Pretending that anything happening in that room was stopping anybody from dying, is astonishingly stupid.
It's still better than what you'd have them do which is just let it spread freely.

I already said I'd prefer better prevention methods anyway. I'm all for masks but I'm doubtful those visors achieve much of anything. Maybe if conservative governments didn't keep ripping the public school budget to shreds, like Trump did with his crony Betsy Davos, they'd have more resources and come up with something better.

Remote schooling would appear to be the best option until the vaccine is fully rolled out. It's not always easy though, much like Australia, plenty of places in the US have shitty internet speeds. I'm sure Republicans would never derail a major infrastructure bill that might see that improved, no sir.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
What’s legitimately disturbing is people genuinely thinking that the PM’s wife is making a white supremacy sign with her hand and it’s not just how it’s resting.

Besides, it’s missing the W part, being the 3 fingers.

Just because she's the PM's wife doesn't mean she's not crazy. I didn't know about the 3 fingers part, but it is an odd way to rest fingers, I've ruled that out in my mind. Being a still, I'd accept she was scratching her thumb with her index finger though. That would present her hand in that manner.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Covid is more contagious than the flu.

Not among children. Influenza is worse among children and they spread it more easily.

What we found across multiple countries at different times was that it was very, very rare for the child to be the one bringing the infection into the household," she said.

"Even in cases when the kids were going to school, they still weren't the ones bringing it into the home."

This is in stark contrast to, for instance, the H5N1 strain of influenza, where half the time, it's a child that brings it into the home.

So explain to me again why it is a false equivalency that this abject insanity in schools could also be justified for the flu?

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Not among children. Influenza is worse among children and they spread it more easily.

What we found across multiple countries at different times was that it was very, very rare for the child to be the one bringing the infection into the household," she said.

"Even in cases when the kids were going to school, they still weren't the ones bringing it into the home."

This is in stark contrast to, for instance, the H5N1 strain of influenza, where half the time, it's a child that brings it into the home.

So explain to me again why it is a false equivalency that this abject insanity in schools could also be justified for the flu?
Are you really this dense? I've already told you why kids catching covid and bringing it home with them puts others at risk. We can limit flu with a vaccine, the covid vaccine rollout us still in its infancy.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Are you really this dense? I've already told you why kids catching covid and bringing it home with them puts others at risk. We can limit flu with a vaccine, the covid vaccine rollout us still in its infancy.

Holy s**t. You’ve just had the evidence presented to you, that kids going to school & then spreading Covid to adults was found to be virtually non-existent. It’s been put right in front of your face, and yet you’re impervious to it.

Incredible.

The dystopian scene in that classroom is owing to the fear, stupidity and cowardice of grown adults. There is almost zero legitimate science behind it.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
What’s legitimately disturbing is people genuinely thinking that the PM’s wife is making a white supremacy sign with her hand and it’s not just how it’s resting.

Besides, it’s missing the W part, being the 3 fingers.
I think Deaneus! was just taking the piss. Or whoever made the photo. Clearly it’s just her hand and the WCE lads were just stuffing around with an in joke, without realising it’s an obscure white supremacy symbol.
This is me trying to catch a fly not a black power salute. Missed him by that much
F1EC50F3-0D3F-464C-912E-A5E482811DFC.jpeg

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kids wearing masks and having plastic screens around their desk for a virus that provably and unequivocally presents less risk to them than the common flu, is certifiably insane. It’s adults filling kids with fear about a threat that does not exist.

You know it’s certifiably insane, too. That’s the best part.

I’m just waiting for what you’ll defend next.
Plus it’s spread by breath so that s**t is pointless. The local acrylic plastics retailer likes it though.
I usually pop my head around the corner so I can actually hear what’s being said to me. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

It's pretty clear that what he posted stated that the kids weren't bringing covid home to be caught by other householders. You need to address that if you were to keep arguing your view.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
So... the ABC has crunched the numbers.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05...-nsw-hotel-quarantine-lower-than-us/100115546

The number of infections in Australian quarantine (in NSW) from India is currently lower than the USA's peak numbers back in January. India's infection rate is significantly lower than what the USA & UK experienced back in January.

... and yet Scomo's Govt felt the need to close the borders and threaten returning travelers with prison if they were returning from India, but never felt that same need back in January.

... but the decision to ban brown people from entering Australia isn't based on race?

Who does Scomo think he's kidding?

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
So... the ABC has crunched the numbers.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05...-nsw-hotel-quarantine-lower-than-us/100115546

The number of infections in Australian quarantine (in NSW) from India is currently lower than the USA's peak numbers back in January. India's infection rate is significantly lower than what the USA & UK experienced back in January.

... and yet Scomo's Govt felt the need to close the borders and threaten returning travelers with prison if they were returning from India, but never felt that same need back in January.

... but the decision to ban brown people from entering Australia isn't based on race?

Who does Scomo think he's kidding?
so lets get this right..you are saying the only reason ScoMo has banned people from India coming in is that he is a racist is it. Has Australia closed its borders to other countries?. Does Australia allow people to return from other non white countries? What is the rest of the western world doing in relation to India - the Biden US government also closed its borders to India - are they racist for doing so?

If the answers to the questions above are that Australia IS allowing people to come back from other non white countries, it HAS closed its borders to other countries both brown and white and that other nations have also taken a prudent approach to closing their borders to a country where its numbers are skyrocketing and their ability to deal with it being a 3rd world country is not anything like the first world, why is your first thought that it is racism what the Aust Government has done here?

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
so lets get this right..you are saying the only reason ScoMo has banned people from India coming in is that he is a racist is it. Has Australia closed its borders to other countries?. Does Australia allow people to return from other non white countries? What is the rest of the western world doing in relation to India - the Biden US government also closed its borders to India - are they racist for doing so?

If the answers to the questions above are that Australia IS allowing people to come back from other non white countries, it HAS closed its borders to other countries both brown and white and that other nations have also taken a prudent approach to closing their borders to a country where its numbers are skyrocketing and their ability to deal with it being a 3rd world country is not anything like the first world, why is your first thought that it is racism what the Aust Government has done here?

Because it makes him feel really good

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Because it makes him feel really good

Well last Friday he put his big boy pants on and tried to appear strong by saying fines and jail for those returning from India.

And magically after a lot of blow back and being the coward he is and being not a man of his convictions, he now says no-one will get jail.

So which is it?

A coward and flip flop man is PM Happy Clapper.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows

The only other country Australia has banned entry from was China, back in the very earliest days - and even then, they left the back door open (people were still allowed to enter via 3rd countries) and didn't ban Australian citizens from returning. What they have done, banning Australian citizens returning from India - and threatening them with prison - is completely unprecedented.

I don't care what other countries have done - only what ours is doing now, and how that compares to what they've done previously during the pandemic.

Whether it is conscious or subconscious (and it's most likely the latter), they are treating India differently to what they did when the UK & US were in a worse situation in January. This is entirely consistent with their non-preferential treatment of brown people throughout the last 8 years in power. The Abbott/Turnbull/Scomo Govt has form in this regard.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
The only other country Australia has banned entry from was China, back in the very earliest days - and even then, they left the back door open (people were still allowed to enter via 3rd countries) and didn't ban Australian citizens from returning. What they have done, banning Australian citizens returning from India - and threatening them with prison - is completely unprecedented.

I don't care what other countries have done - only what ours is doing now, and how that compares to what they've done previously during the pandemic.

Whether it is conscious or subconscious (and it's most likely the latter), they are treating India differently to what they did when the UK & US were in a worse situation in January. This is entirely consistent with their non-preferential treatment of brown people throughout the last 8 years in power. The Abbott/Turnbull/Scomo Govt has form in this regard.
You do know by the 2 bolded bits of your comment, that you acknowledge that Australia has not banned people from returning from many other brown person countries. By implication, that they are apparently treating India worse than any other country is mutually exclusive to it being a racist policy as they have not stopped people - by your words - coming in from any other country other than china. So I ask again, how do you come up with the conclusion that the policy is racist if you agree that no other country - white, brown or whatever has been subjected to the closure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back