Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

All I have heard from the Libs is how Labour farked it all up. Well yeh, I live here, I am aware, tell me how you are going to sort it. Not a peep. And then I get some email today which I think was telling me (delete worked faster than reading it all), that they are going to have a website telling us all of the Labour f/ups... WE KNOW!!!

I have never voted for Labor in my life but they at least give the impression they are doing things and building stuff. They at least have a vision. I applaud the likes of John Rau taking away large planning decisions away from the ACC for example. I know it's hard to do anything from Opposition, but the Libs just aren't giving people any reason to vote for them outside of "We are not Labor" Even the stuff that REH said they should hit Labor on (mainly healthcare stuffups) is really not their strong suit either. The SA Liberals are ******* useless.

fj0mEWa.jpg

I have never voted for Labor in my life but they at least give the impression they are doing things and building stuff. They at least have a vision. I applaud the likes of John Rau taking away large planning decisions away from the ACC for example. I know it's hard to do anything from Opposition, but the Libs just aren't giving people any reason to vote for them outside of "We are not Labor" Even the stuff that REH said they should hit Labor on (mainly healthcare stuffups) is really not their strong suit either. The SA Liberals are ******* useless.

Politicians in this country are ****ing useless. SA has a smaller talent pool to pull from so it might be a bit worse. We laugh at the yanks for electing actors and s**t stains like Trump but have a close look at Canberra.

It's a veritable s**t can full of s**t campaigners.

What is making it particularly hard for me to choose who to vote for this year (outside of the garbage candidates) is the fact none of them are readily disclosing their plans for preference votes. I like to be very clear on where my vote will go if my preferred candidate doesn't get up. The constant "will they won't they" supposed preference alliance between Labor and Liberals to keep Xenophon out is dirty as *.

I'm a liberal voter (but * me does it feel like the lesser of all the evils at this point), but if Xenophon disclosed he'd preference Liberal - I'd be voting Xenophon. However given the way this preference bullshit is geared, no doubt my vote will end up with Labor (my least preferred option) regardless of who I vote for. s**t's ****ed.

I hate preference votes more than anything else in our political structure. All it does is enable lack of transparency, back room deals and undisclosed alliances.

If by some freaking fate I see myself moving into South Australia, I would probably begin any political engagement through the Liberals. However, that's as accidental as me having picked Port due the club's colors.

Politics must be understood as having three dimensions: electoral, temperamental, and teleological. When I say I would be liberal, it is related to the electoral dimension.

The electoral dimension is about power struggle. Opposite groups try to govern and they face each other in elections, when the balance of power between them is reordered. The groups, however, are equivalent. What they represent is accidental, and varies according to the circumstances. No side is inherently better than the other. Left and Right are two sides of the same coin.

The temperamental dimension is about what and how to do when in power. There are those more inclined to changes, while others prefer known evils over unknown evils. Both temperaments (liberal and conservative) can be found in the Left and in the Right.

Finally, the most important dimension, the teleological, is on the goal of politics. Here, and only here, just one side is good. The side that seeks perfection, who believes to be representative of the Truth in a struggle against Evil, this side, ideological, is dangerous and needs to be kept in check at all costs. The side that must flourish for the sake of a healthy society is the prudent one; who believes politics is an end in itself, that must be perpetually played through sequences of imperfect compromises.

Thus, there are eight basic political positions. Four, healthy:

left-liberal-prudent
left-conservative-prudent
right-liberal-prudent
right-conservative-prudent

And, four, sick:

left-liberal-ideological
left-conservative-ideological
right-liberal-ideological
right-conservative-ideological

If the majority of the society belongs to the first group, everything is fine — regardless of any electoral result. On the other hand, if the second group rules, everything is f*^ked up big time.

Does it make sense?

What is making it particularly hard for me to choose who to vote for this year (outside of the garbage candidates) is the fact none of them are readily disclosing their plans for preference votes. I like to be very clear on where my vote will go if my preferred candidate doesn't get up. The constant "will they won't they" supposed preference alliance between Labor and Liberals to keep Xenophon out is dirty as ****.

I'm a liberal voter (but **** me does it feel like the lesser of all the evils at this point), but if Xenophon disclosed he'd preference Liberal - I'd be voting Xenophon. However given the way this preference bullshit is geared, no doubt my vote will end up with Labor (my least preferred option) regardless of who I vote for. s**t's ******.

I hate preference votes more than anything else in our political structure. All it does is enable lack of transparency, back room deals and undisclosed alliances.
I'm a bit confused by all this Dr Feel. I just thought How To Vote cards were for wiping up the sauce I spill off my democracy sausage. I've never actually read one of the buggers.

So glad i keep reading this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a bit confused by all this Dr Feel. I just thought How To Vote cards were for wiping up the sauce I spill off my democracy sausage. I've never actually read one of the buggers.

Yeah, I’d have thought that if you wanted Xenophon and then liberal, you’d just put a one next to Xenophon and a 2 next to liberal...

I'm a liberal voter (but **** me does it feel like the lesser of all the evils at this point), but if Xenophon disclosed he'd preference Liberal - I'd be voting Xenophon. However given the way this preference bullshit is geared, no doubt my vote will end up with Labor (my least preferred option) regardless of who I vote for. s**t's ******.

Uh can't you do your own preferences on your ballot?

That's because they are.

What is making it particularly hard for me to choose who to vote for this year (outside of the garbage candidates) is the fact none of them are readily disclosing their plans for preference votes. I like to be very clear on where my vote will go if my preferred candidate doesn't get up. The constant "will they won't they" supposed preference alliance between Labor and Liberals to keep Xenophon out is dirty as ****.

I'm the other way (another swing voter here), only Labor have actually put forth anything decent or realistic. They are streets ahead of the others.

Uh can't you do your own preferences on your ballot?

Yes, and in fact - I didn't know this:

In 2013, the ability of micro-parties to engage in complex preference agreements using group voting tickets in the Senate led to the election of a number of minor and micro-party senators. In 2016, the Turnbull government legislated to abolish group voting tickets, whilst optional preferential voting was introduced for above and below-the-line voting. Preferences will continue to be important but preference allocation has been taken out of the hands of political parties. Unless voters choose to number preferences on their ballot papers, their votes will exhaust.

I'm the other way (another swing voter here), only Labor have actually put forth anything decent or realistic. They are streets ahead of the others.

I agree, but I can't agree with parties ruled by unions. I see enough of what unions have done to the public sector in SA that prevents progress and every single dismissal or performance management becomes an outright battle. It's insane. Unions have a place, but not to the level where they can pervasively and unanimously stop progress in the state sector. No one can be fired unless they shot someone, and I mean that. You can turn up late and do no work and the crown solicitors will still tell the business not to sack the person because they're a unionist.

Plus, almost every high position is given to union bigwigs (i.e. judicial roles in SAET for example).

More than ever I've wanted a clean out, there is such a time as being in too long and I feel strongly this is the case. Labor have been arrogant in their decision making the past 12-24 months in particular. The whole schemozzle with Rau and his self appointed powers and so on. Not great.

Alas this isn't the thread, lol.

John Olsen took such a massive s**t on the Liberal Party’s reputation that they will be out of government for over 20 years. Labor will cruise to victory here.

He went on to the giddy heights of shitting on the PAFC and the entire state football league. Amazing career in being a complete *******.

I agree, but I can't agree with parties ruled by unions. I see enough of what unions have done to the public sector in SA that prevents progress and every single dismissal or performance management becomes an outright battle. It's insane. Unions have a place, but not to the level where they can pervasively and unanimously stop progress in the state sector. No one can be fired unless they shot someone, and I mean that. You can turn up late and do no work and the crown solicitors will still tell the business not to sack the person because they're a unionist.

Plus, almost every high position is given to union bigwigs (i.e. judicial roles in SAET for example).

More than ever I've wanted a clean out, there is such a time as being in too long and I feel strongly this is the case. Labor have been arrogant in their decision making the past 12-24 months in particular. The whole schemozzle with Rau and his self appointed powers and so on. Not great.

Alas this isn't the thread, lol.
A world without unions would be far worse, even in the public sector. The old school tie has been replaced by the union there it seems.

Voting for a conservative state government is pointless. If you support big business tax cuts or want to keep out the immigants or keep the gays from getting married or whatever, sure, vote for a conservative Federal government. But states have no control over any of that stuff, they deal with health and roads and public transport and other stuff that we don’t want governments to scrimp on.

In state elections, vote for the party that’s gonna spend money on useful things rather than the party that’s going to be conservative with the chequebook. It does not make one ******* iota of difference to my life whether the State budget is in good shape or bad, but it does make some difference to my life if Labor want to splash some cash to make the city a better and/or more accessible place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back