Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

John Olsen took such a massive s**t on the Liberal Party’s reputation that they will be out of government for over 20 years. Labor will cruise to victory here.

You're being very kind to the decade's worth of politically illiterate, policy phobic, media ghosts who have populated every single position within the SA Libs with the authority to do anything more important than shove pamphlets in letterboxes and get yelled at by people in shopping centres.

Well you might want to sit down while I inform you SA Best's poll #'s went up after the release of the ad. Luckily they appear to have tanked since.
Jesus..........

Liberals announce a right hand turn for the tram line.
$40m, ripping up the whole section and starting again, 3-4 weeks shutting down the busiest intersection etc.
But trams will be running n-s and e-w so there is no need for a turn? Does this liberal mob even think or is it all about capturing the "OMFG NO RIIGHT TURN WHAT A ROOORT" crowd who have and will never catch a tram in their lives.

$40m, ripping up the whole section and starting again, 3-4 weeks shutting down the busiest intersection etc.
But trams will be running n-s and e-w so there is no need for a turn? Does this liberal mob even think or is it all about capturing the "OMFG NO RIIGHT TURN WHAT A ROOORT" crowd who have and will never catch a tram in their lives.

It needs a right turn, the whole thing is stupid.

These are the same people that screamed blue murder at the original tramline extension onto North Tce and the $4mil it cost.
Now they've got all the answers and it just happens to be the thing that Labor isn't doing and it's going to cost $40mil.

They are the biggest bunch of idiots in politics. Anywhere.

Even if they include a right turn, it's not like it's going to be used at all. Trams can't go everywhere willy-nilly.

There's more important things that need fixing in this state before the right hand turn.
But, not including a right turn in the original plans, while not quite on the same level, is just another addition to a list of stupid decisions whose crown jewel was a one way reversible expressway.

Suicide move. Liberals are going to lose the unlosable.

These are the same people that screamed blue murder at the original tramline extension onto North Tce and the $4mil it cost.
Now they've got all the answers and it just happens to be the thing that Labor isn't doing and it's going to cost $40mil.

They are the biggest bunch of idiots in politics. Anywhere.

The Tram is s**t, it was s**t, it was a s**t idea, it is s**t in reality. The original extension has cost a lot more than the budget, remember it was single lane at one stage for a while and also had traction issues whenever it rained plus I think there was something with the Trams that needed changing etc.

I'll be cycnical but I'm 99% sure the reason no right hand turn was put in this time was because it wouldn't have finished the literal extension to nowhere by the week of the election and thus robbing Jay of his publicity tool for election week. Do note they've moved all buses to push people onto the tram to wow the public with the usage numbers much like with the original extension.

Man the libs are like invisible in this state, I keep seeing Rachel Sanderson posters up and I was like this is the 3rd time she's running or so and I only know that from seeing them every 4 years at work in town but it turns out on looking her up she is actually the parliamentarian for the last 8 years for Adelaide. Wouldn't have known it as I can't ever remember hearing from her once in anything so just assumed she was doing the usual SA lib thing of just keep putting the same losers up each election hoping something changes.

The Tram is s**t, it was s**t, it was a s**t idea, it is s**t in reality.

Any rationale to explain why?

I use the tram quite a bit and see it as a great piece of PT infrastructure.

Any rationale to explain why?

I use the tram quite a bit and see it as a great piece of PT infrastructure.

Yeah I was against the Tram from the start for a few reasons.

- It's slow, very slow
- Ruined traffic flow and spacing
- is a pointless route because they refuse to build it to O'Connell st which was the only route that made sense but that wouldn't fly politically with free travel to Nth Adl residents
- was already serviced by a train to Bowden
- free buses around were much more regular
- only in Adelaide pedestrian lights at EVERY platform is so overkill it's not funny.

This extension with no right turn is ridiculous, people are not going to get off and wait for the next one or walk to the Gawler place stop on the other line to then go 2 more stops up Nth Terrace, with the speed of the Trams here everyone will just walk. There was a reason they were taken out in the first place and that reason still holds. There's several other reasons too like priorities, they have half assed the electrification of the rail network and then spend money on this when they can't even finish the other job first which carries a lot more people.

Catching the Tram from town to Glenelg has to be one of the more torturous public transport journeys in the world, it's not far but you can fly to melbourne in nearly the same time.

The only was a right hand turn will work for the trams, is if two trams leave simultaneously from Glenelg, with one turning left and one turning right at that intersection. If this isn't the case, then people will have to get off one tram to get on another at some point in the journey, so why not on North Terrace and save $40m? The timetabling can be done in a way that the people wanting to go east can literally get off one tram and straight on the next (and vice versa)

that guy in the effects mic was priceless, bagging the crows at every chance, towards the end of the match he bellow out 'WHO ARE THE CROWS'. Takes me back to the 80's on the Alberton concourse where anything and everything was bellowed out, this PC driven world doesnt know what it is missing out on

There will always be puritans. Thankfully, in Brazil, the soil is not fertile for this kind of seed. There is always a bush here and there, but it never dominates — even when found in high-ranked offices and feed with resources.

Debauchery and "seriousnessless" are public virtues around here. Neither Catholic Conservatism nor Political Correctness can change that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I understand it one reason you may not need to vote is if you cannot understand information relevant to voting at the particular election.

Aboriginal Information officer Inawantji Scales has been assisting voters, who are either casting their ballot for the first time or don't speak English as their first language.
"We've been helping the polling booth team, with interpreting cultural and sensitive things they need to be aware of, and just explaining what it's all about," she said.

I had a debate on mandatory voting with my father once (I was defending it), and he argued that mandatory voting in Australia was established to weaken the influence of Aboriginals on elections. Is that true?

I had a debate on mandatory voting with my father once (I was defending it), and he argued that mandatory voting in Australia was established to weaken the influence of Aboriginals on elections. Is that true?

I dont see how, since (as far as I'm aware) mandatory voting has been around since federation in 1901, while Aboriginals have only had the vote, or even been considered fully human for that matter, since 1967. Others may be able to shine further light on this though.

Anyone who is voting for the Liberals is a moron.

These clowns will actively send the economy into a recession if they get into power. Fair enough if you don't want to go ahead with the tram expansion (a waste of time) or support the project at Alberton (* you Lucas you campaigner), but getting rid of the level crossings is a no brainer because it improves road efficiency and congestion, plus it brings the city into the 21st century.

They are looking to slash $1b in spending over three years. You don't 'slash' spending - you redirect it elsewhere to places where you think you can get better value for money. Otherwise you're just pulling that money out of circulation.

And why are they actively sending the economy into recession? So the big end of town can squeeze out all the pop up bars and other start ups who don't have the capitalisation necessary to survive bad times.

They are going to lose an unloseable election because they truly have contempt for the people of South Australia.

These clowns will actively send the economy into a recession if they get into power. Fair enough if you don't want to go ahead with the tram expansion (a waste of time) or support the project at Alberton (**** you Lucas you campaigner), but getting rid of the level crossings is a no brainer because it improves road efficiency and congestion, plus it brings the city into the 21st century.

They are looking to slash $1b in spending over three years. You don't 'slash' spending - you redirect it elsewhere to places where you think you can get better value for money. Otherwise you're just pulling that money out of circulation.

And why are they actively sending the economy into recession? So the big end of town can squeeze out all the pop up bars and other start ups who don't have the capitalisation necessary to survive bad times.

They are going to lose an unloseable election because they truly have contempt for the people of South Australia.

"They are looking to slash $1b in spending over three years. You don't 'slash' spending - you redirect it elsewhere to places where you think you can get better value for money. Otherwise you're just pulling that money out of circulation."

Where does the money come from? Three alternatives: collected through taxes; borrowed from someone else; printed in the mint.

The first money is already in circulation; the second needs to be paid out at some point (with interest); and the third causes inflation, i.e., it makes money lose value.

Which option are you suggestion it should be taken?

It is time for change - 16 years too long for one party to be in power - breeds corruption. So it is time to give the other side a go.

Like I said...

In terms of ideology I’d probably identify more with Liberal than Labor because I believe that private enterprise should drive the economy, but * me, we’ve just lost Holden and there hasn’t been enough time to replace that vacuum.

If the Libs had actually promised major infrastructure projects to attract new investments in the state and support the economy (like shifting the freight rail system around the hills instead of through them and building a new 24 hour international airport to promote trade - they suggested but didn’t promise these) then you’d go fair enough.

But changing for change sake is how we got Rudd, Gillard, Abbott and Turnbull. Because it then became not about policy but about how you weren’t the other guy.

******* moronic.

It is time for change - 16 years too long for one party to be in power - breeds corruption. So it is time to give the other side a go.

Like I said...

In terms of ideology I’d probably identify more with Liberal than Labor because I believe that private enterprise should drive the economy, but **** me, we’ve just lost Holden and there hasn’t been enough time to replace that vacuum.

If the Libs had actually promised major infrastructure projects to attract new investments in the state and support the economy (like shifting the freight rail system around the hills instead of through them and building a new 24 hour international airport to promote trade - they suggested but didn’t promise these) then you’d go fair enough.

But changing for change sake is how we got Rudd, Gillard, Abbott and Turnbull. Because it then became not about policy but about how you weren’t the other guy.

******* moronic.

I am not sure in Australia, but my experience HERE is that voting is about choosing the lesser evil. One cannot transfer the responsibility of doing good. We don't do good when voting.

One changes the Administration not because something better will take its place, but something different. Being roughly equal, go with the new. The new government will create problems in distinct areas, leaving others free to solve their issues. :-D

Last edited:

I don't know when compulsory voting was introduced in Australia ( that info should be available on the internet ) but I remember watching a political debate back in the late 1960's on the ABC when I was approaching voting age myself ( you had to be 21 back then ), where it was suggested by a panel that one of the major reasons for mandatory voting had something to do with fears that many average Aussies would not be bothered to vote unless they had to, as many were apparently considered to have little to, no interest in politics.

I'm not suggesting that is the definitive reasoning for compulsory voting, but I worked with, and had a number of friends when I was in my 20's and 30's who told me they only voted because they had to, but I suspect similar age groups will have more interest in the political scene today.

These clowns will actively send the economy into a recession if they get into power. Fair enough if you don't want to go ahead with the tram expansion (a waste of time) or support the project at Alberton (**** you Lucas you campaigner), but getting rid of the level crossings is a no brainer because it improves road efficiency and congestion, plus it brings the city into the 21st century.

Doesn't that just speak volumes of how absolutely diabolical politics is in this country and around the world. How ******* more terrible can the current government be and we still don't have any confidence in the other mob to do any better. It's truly sickening.

I don't know when compulsory voting was introduced in Australia ( that info should be available on the internet ) but I remember watching a political debate back in the late 1960's on the ABC when I was approaching voting age myself ( you had to be 21 back then ), where it was suggested by a panel that one of the major reasons for mandatory voting had something to do with fears that many average Aussies would not be bothered to vote unless they had to, as many were apparently considered to have little to, no interest in politics.

I'm not suggesting that is the definitive reasoning for compulsory voting, but I worked with, and had a number of friends when I was in my 20's and 30's who told me they only voted because they had to, but I suspect similar age groups will have more interest in the political scene today.

I'm 30 and I'd guestimate that most of my wider friendship circle only vote because they have to. That said, and I dont know how it compares to previous generations, but my mates who are interested in politics (myself included) are very into it, so it might be a similar thing to the widening partisan divide we're seeing ATM, but between people interest and uninterested in politics.

This is a picture perfect example of the ‘don’t vote for a conservative government in a state election’ theory which I posited in the politics thread. Slashing spending does absolutely nothing to benefit the public.

Last edited:
This is a picture perfect example of the ‘don’t vote for a conservative government in a state election’ theory which I posited earlier in this thread. Slashing spending does absolutely nothing to benefit the public.

Respectfully disagree. Particularly if it's funding to state services. State services get away with not innovating and not putting into place vastly superior processes and efficiency gains because they get so much funding. They have no need to innovate because they are never stretched for staff and funding. Cutting them back every once in a while will cause them to think about how they can do things better for less money. You can't keep giving them more and more money all the time as they get extremely comfortable and for example, when a person leaves they immediately replace them instead of first considering whether the role should be re-defined or if it's even required at all.

Government agencies intentionally spend every cent in their budget because if they don't, they'll get that budget taken from them and put somewhere else. It's an insane system. They have to be forcibly cut occasionally so they trim the fat, re-work their processes and then you can put some money back into them. Right now, more money into these agencies is money wasted. They could re-allocate the funds to more construction and maintenance or heaven forbid - power generation.

As you say, that's not cutting spending per-se but rather re-allocating it so that we balance the best bang for buck - which Labor has been absolutely horrendous with in this state over the past decade. Because they are so run by unions, they continually pour money into very poor business models/processes in order to keep people in jobs as they fear union backlash. It's the classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back