Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

It is unusual at government but I would presume the way the previous gov ran that they put stuff like this into their contracts to try and lock the next government in to their people.
Given the track record of the Libs in SA for the past half century, the outgoing mob probably couldn't even imagine such a thing as a "next government".

It is unusual at government but I would presume the way the previous gov ran that they put stuff like this into their contracts to try and lock the next government in to their people.
Yes, I'm sure this is the reason. Well done on cracking the case mate.

Steve Marshall has just had a dose of what Government is about. That $2M payout sum is nothing new. Heads of Departments are usually contracted and have payout clauses in their contracts just like AFL Coaches. It reportedly cost us $500k to payout Choco Williams so why would anyone including the incoming Premier be surprised if Heads of Departments on 250k+ per annum have substantial payout clauses in their contracts? When I took early retirement from the State Government I got two years salary which was quite substantial and I was nowhere near Head of Department status.

If you promise things in Opposition you have to pay for them in Government and sometimes it hurts.

Steve Marshall has just had a dose of what Government is about. That $2M payout sum is nothing new. Heads of Departments are usually contracted and have payout clauses in their contracts just like AFL Coaches. It reportedly cost us $500k to payout Choco Williams so why would anyone including the incoming Premier be surprised if Heads of Departments on 250k+ per annum have substantial payout clauses in their contracts? When I took early retirement from the State Government I got two years salary which was quite substantial and I was nowhere near Head of Department status.

If you promise things in Opposition you have to pay for them in Government and sometimes it hurts.

Most Executive roles used to have a standard 6 month payout clause in the event of termination. Not sure if this flowed through to the CE roles and obviously these clauses can be amended.

Some of the payout figure quoted would be for unused Annual Leave and part of Ingrid Haythorpes payout would be for her LSL.

FYI, the TVSP schemes are now capped at 52 weeks.

Most Executive roles used to have a standard 6 month payout clause in the event of termination. Not sure if this flowed through to the CE roles and obviously these clauses can be amended.

Some of the payout figure quoted would be for unused Annual Leave and part of Ingrid Haythorpes payout would be for her LSL.

FYI, the TVSP schemes are now capped at 52 weeks.

Thanks for that GR, I was lucky as I got 2 weeks for every year of service at my substantive salary which was consistent with the Public Service Payout at the time. By the time I put my LSL on top of it I did quite well. I was actually given a TVSP at 64 years and 5 months of age and I could not believe my luck. You are right as LSL would be included. I was salaried staff but I think CE roles are contract based and there would be a set formula for early termination. I suppose the thinking is to get the best people to apply for CE positions you have to offer conditions that are comparable with interstate positions.

I think the AFL Coach analogy is a good one as if you want the best man for the job you have to at least match interstate offers.

I wish Marshall well and after 16 years I think a change is probably a good thing but I am amazed that a man in his position should express surprise at a $2m payout for four people at the head of four Government Departments. I would have thought he would have a better working knowledge of the situation.

Thanks for that GR, I was lucky as I got 2 weeks for every year of service at my substantive salary which was consistent with the Public Service Payout at the time. By the time I put my LSL on top of it I did quite well. I was actually given a TVSP at 64 years and 5 months of age and I could not believe my luck. You are right as LSL would be included. I was salaried staff but I think CE roles are contract based and there would be a set formula for early termination. I suppose the thinking is to get the best people to apply for CE positions you have to offer conditions that are comparable with interstate positions.

I think the AFL Coach analogy is a good one as if you want the best man for the job you have to at least match interstate offers.

I wish Marshall well and after 16 years I think a change is probably a good thing but I am amazed that a man in his position should express surprise at a $2m payout for four people at the head of four Government Departments. I would have thought he would have a better working knowledge of the situation.

I think his “surprise” was a shrewd political move, both mildly populist and playing to a traditional Liberal audience. He’s not a goose either, playing the “I’m new here, cleaning up the mess” card will have a positive vibe for some time. There is no way he’s uninformed enough not to have known the $$.

Implying that the overall contract arrangements were a surprise, all his predecessors’ fault, rather than the net result of market rates/market forces is a hell of a lot subtler than say a Donald Trump would’ve done - regardless of facts he’d likely have explicitly called out via tweet “bad deals from bad negotiators”. Can just about imagine “that voice” actually :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the Federal Budget is out and I am a big winner according to Scott Morrison.

Thousands of extra beds in nursing homes that I have no intention of ever entering, the ability to earn an extra $1300 per annum at age seventy plus and an expanded reverse mortgage scheme that allows me to borrow against the value of a house I spent all my working life paying for?

I guess if you are going to work til you are 75+, borrow against a home that you have worked all your life to pay for and you are prepared to live like a vegetable in some geriatric garden you will have got something out of this hyped up heap of nothing.

At least we know how much Morrison thinks our vote is worth. Nothing for the unemployed and self funded retirees, $10-$20 a week for those earing under 90K, and $5 dollars for pensioners.

If the polls are correct, Scott Morrison planning until 2022 has to be the height of political optimism.

Maybe one day the pollies to listen to what the people want rather than telling us what we want and how happy we should be.

So the Federal Budget is out and I am a big winner according to Scott Morrison.

Thousands of extra beds in nursing homes that I have no intention of ever entering, the ability to earn an extra $1300 per annum at age seventy plus and an expanded reverse mortgage scheme that allows me to borrow against the value of a house I spent all my working life paying for?

I guess if you are going to work til you are 75+, borrow against a home that you have worked all your life to pay for and you are prepared to live like a vegetable in some geriatric garden you will have got something out of this hyped up heap of nothing.

At least we know how much Morrison thinks our vote is worth. Nothing for the unemployed and self funded retirees, $10-$20 a week for those earing under 90K, and $5 dollars for pensioners.

If the polls are correct, Scott Morrison planning until 2022 has to be the height of political optimism.

Maybe one day the pollies to listen to what the people want rather than telling us what we want and how happy we should be.

The rewards all seem to be aimed at the big end of town. We should be asking the Government what they are doing to help us aspire to being the big end of town.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These $200 and $530 tax offsets/rebates don't get paid until you lodge your 2018-19 tax return. So some of you will not see this money until October 2019 or later.

So the only people who will see an actual tax cut in their pay are those people who are going to earn between $87,000 and $90,000 they will get 4.5% less tax for every dollar earned in that range giving a whopping (cumulative) tax cut during the year totaling $135. That's an extra pie if you get paid fortnightly. If you earn more than $90,000 you will get it as well.

And most of the so called upper middle and big end of earners tax cuts are at least 4 years away. What a load BS trying to give most of the benefits 4 to 7 years out. There could be 2 elections before they kick in and could be totally reversed.

There are some good initiatives in there re new infrastructure, transport, space agency, aged care etc, togo with the nasty cuts, but when so much of the benefits are supposed to be seen in the 4 to 7 to 10 year time frame, you know there are a hell of a lot of what if's in there, that could stuff up a lot of the good stuff.

'Locking in' post-election tax cuts based on forward estimates, what could possibly go wrong there? 1980's "Fistful of Dollars" anyone??

The proposed tax-to-GDP % cap limit is from the same ideological spout of crap as California's Prop 13 and Prop 218. Governments need to be able to invest out of the GDP cycle based on an authority we delegate for multiple years. Our Federal Government is not a bloody corporation reporting annually to shareholders, it makes no sense to saddle it with a kind of mandatory annual dividend % payout. As policy it's just ... dumb Libertarian-lite crap. As politics it's playing to the "taxation is only a necessary evil and should be 'minimized at all costs, I mean, at all costs to everyone else'" meme of selfishness.

Putting in tax cuts for 7 years down the track is pie in the sky s**t. I reckon 99% of people stop listening when they hear that it's a 7 - 10 year plan because it's never going to happen much like most of the ridiculously sunny assumptions made in the budget these days. Hey we'll be back in surplus earlier than expected in 3 years now!! Except not as all they have done is taken the rosiest outlook and made it a tiny bit better but u know its never going to happen.

So the Marshall Government is going after Safe Work SA over non prosecution in relation to deaths on the RAH site. A pity the Liberals did not support Tammy Franks' 2015 Industrial Manslaughter amendment to the OHS&W Act. Had that Bill passed there would have been no need for a Statutory Authority to prosecute as the matter would have been criminalised and the Police could have launched the prosecution. That is now law in Queensland and is being considered in Tasmania.

Make no mistake, under Section 19 of the Occupational Safety Health &Welfare Act 1986 the onus for providing a safe work environment rests with the employer not SafeWork SA. That is not to excuse inefficiency or poor practice within SafeWork SA but the media are glossing over who the real culprits are.

So the Marshall Government is going after Safe Work SA over non prosecution in relation to deaths on the RAH site. A pity the Liberals did not support Tammy Franks' 2015 Industrial Manslaughter amendment to the OHS&W Act. Had that Bill passed there would have been no need for a Statutory Authority to prosecute as the matter would have been criminalised and the Police could have launched the prosecution. That is now law in Queensland and is being considered in Tasmania.

Make no mistake, under Section 19 of the Occupational Safety Health &Welfare Act 1986 the onus for providing a safe work environment rests with the employer not SafeWork SA. That is not to excuse inefficiency or poor practice within SafeWork SA but the media are glossing over who the real culprits are.

They should go after Safe Work over how ridiculous it has become. How's about instead of just pumping out regulations every year to justify it's existance they * off most of them as they are stupid and turn it into a body that just deals with actual safety issues and dangerous work professions. If you have ever been in the Safe Work building it's simply ridiculous, if they could put up padded walls for safety they would. If it's the guy who was on drugs and died from the crane that's a weird one to want to punish Safe Work on as well, maybe there's another motive at play here, is there someone they want out?

Malcolm and Morrison's tax cuts to the big end of town are supposed to create jobs. In fact that is the big sell item that the Coalition has pushed on this so called reform. Now that Telstra have foreshadowed axing 8,000 workers across Australia does that mean Telstra will not get a tax cut form Malcolm and Morrison? Not often i agree with Hanson but she is right on this one.

PS Well 24 hrs is a long time in politics. Just heard that Hanson will now support the Government tax reforms. Yesterday she was scathing in her criticism.

Last edited:
While I agree with you in part, I'm not sure it's entirely relevant to the topic. Using a Muslim girl as a "spokesperson" might be a good way to get a message across right now, but it's a little insulting to suggest that's the only reason she was picked.

Either way....... it's a good cause, it's very relevant given what that fat orange thing is doing in the US right now, and it's a bit of publicity for our multicultural programs.
In defense of the "fat orange thing", the practice already happened before he was elected into office. His problem is having being elected with the support of those who think such a practice is OK; if not, the right thing to do.

Malcolm and Morrison's tax cuts to the big end of town are supposed to create jobs. In fact that is the big sell item that the Coalition has pushed on this so called reform. Now that Telstra have foreshadowed axing 8,000 workers across Australia does that mean Telstra will not get a tax cut form Malcolm and Morrison? Not often i agree with Hanson but she is right on this one.

PS Well 24 hrs is a long time in politics. Just heard that Hanson will now support the Government tax reforms. Yesterday she was scathing in her criticism.

Pauline is spitting fish and chips...

Two years ago no one in the eastern states wanted to know about rising electricity prices in South Australia and renewable energy. According to Malcolm Turnbull power outages and high electricity costs were all the fault of the South Australian Government and it's faith in renewables.

Then suddenly a couple of coal fired power stations in the east are decommissioned and eletricity prices rise in the eastern states and we have the ACCC conducting enquiries and moving to prevent cartels and monopolies and we have the Coalition moving to limit rising prices and suddenly increasing it's faith in and commitment to renewables. Could it be that the Federal Government has more seats at risk in the eastern states and Coalition now has a Liberal Government in power in South Australia?

So far, the by-elections are looking good... ALP to retain their 2 seats of Braddon and Longman (at this stage), and Mayo to remain with Sharkie... means the government doesnt claw back ground on them. You would think that Freo will remain ALP as it has been for 30+ years, and if Labor can hold Perth (has been Labor since '83, then it may come down to swings... At this stage in primary votes, Lib have had negative swings in all 3 electorates that have been counting, if they have neg swings in all 5 will that be enough ammo for Tony 'The Onion Man' Abbott to challenge for leadership?

So far, the by-elections are looking good... ALP to retain their 2 seats of Braddon and Longman (at this stage), and Mayo to remain with Sharkie... means the government doesnt claw back ground on them. You would think that Freo will remain ALP as it has been for 30+ years, and if Labor can hold Perth (has been Labor since '83, then it may come down to swings... At this stage in primary votes, Lib have had negative swings in all 3 electorates that have been counting, if they have neg swings in all 5 will that be enough ammo for Tony 'The Onion Man' Abbott to challenge for leadership?

Libs didn't run a candidate in the two WA seats. All the opinion polls that were showing the Qld and Tas seats within one point look like being fake news.

The By Election results were a massive kick in the guts for Turnbull who in the wake of 30+ adverse opinion polls made no ground at all. Unless there is a massive change in opinion or unless Shorten shoots himself in the foot, which is possible, the Coalition looks doomed.

One thing that is on the nose with these by elections is the Government's deliberate manipulation of the dates. Thanks to Turnbull's political intrigue candidates and voters had to endure an eight week campaign instead of the possible 33 days. There is no doubt that the number crunchers in the Coalition decided that the longer the campaign the more chance there was that Bill or Rebekha would stuff up and the more time there was for Goverment Ministers including the Prime Minister to swan around the country at taxpayer's expense. Does anyone really believe that Malcolm Turnbull would have dropped into the Alma at Willunga for a casual chat if there had not been a by election in Mayo? The eight weeks cost the Australian taxpayer 10 million dollars not counting the traveling expenses of Federal Ministers.

Why was the Coalition rejected in favour of an inept Opposition Leader? Bill Shorten stuffed up with his promise to wrest back the tax incentives for small business of that there is no doubt. On the other hand Turnbull is on equally shakey ground with his plan to give the Banks a 17 Billion tax break. These are the same banks whose business practices have been exposed by a Royal Commission that Turnbull didn't want in the first place. The difference between Shorten and Turnbull is that Shorten has retracted his plans while Turnbull hasn't. The fact that Turnbull is a former lawyer come investment banker may not have been lost on the electorate. Maybe the people of Australia would sooner a well meaning, albeit inept Opposition, than a devious scheming Coaltion who have been caught out pandering to their own interests?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back