Preview Politics in Australia

What are the three key issues of the 2019 Federal Election?

• The economy

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Tax

• Government Services

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Climate policy

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Animal welfare

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Environment

• Wages

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Industrial democracy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Superannuation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Housing affordability

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say, though, that historically speaking the Liberal party has been in government about 70% of the time, and generally does very little with the power of government. It's what makes your list above stand out; can you say many more achievements done by liberal governments to shape our modern democracy over the achievements of - say - the Hawke government?

Hawke succeeded because he was from Labor's right. He and Keating went down the neo-liberalism path to get what they did done.

It's worth remembering Albanese opposed many of Hawke's economic reforms.

It’s a coalition Government. That’s why it’s easier to call them Tories.

“Since 1946, the Coalition has remained intact with two exceptions, both in opposition. The parties decided not to form a coalition opposition following their defeat in 1972, but went into the 1974 federal election as a Coalition.[5] The Coalition remained together upon entering opposition in 1983 federal election. The Coalition suffered another break, related to the "Joh for Canberra" campaign, from April to August 1987, the rift healing after the 1987 federal election.”

Except "Tories" has no relevance to Australia.

There is no Toryism in Australia.

Hawke succeeded because he was from Labor's right. He and Keating went down the neo-liberalism path to get what they did done.

It's worth remembering Albanese opposed many of Hawke's economic reforms.
Hawke retired in 91. Albanese came to federal politics in 96. Good job to oppose things before he got there.

Toryism is rooted in class warfare.

Given our current PM went to a public school and the opposition leader went to the Private school is doesn't really match the whole class warfare scenario in 2019 does it?

Especially given I've seen it often mentioned that it's the working class bogans voting for the Liberals these days.

Toryism is rooted in class warfare.

Given our current PM went to a public school and the opposition leader went to the Private school is doesn't really match the whole class warfare scenario in 2019 does it?

Especially given I've seen it often mentioned that it's the working class bogans voting for the Liberals these days.
But it’s a coalition government? Correct? All the other stuff you spout is drivel. No class distinctions in this country. Good one.

But it’s a coalition government? Correct? All the other stuff you spout is drivel. No class distinctions in this country. Good one.

All the stuff I wrote is correct.

There are class distinctions, but not in the way you think.

You think the lower income working class Liberal voters are "Tories" even when compared to middle to upper middle class Greens voting base as an example?

The only one spouting drivel is you.

Not really sure what point you're trying to make regarding the Liberals and Nationals? Some kind of pedantic dross?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice bit of revisionism to hitch his name to an actual successful Labor PM.

All the stuff I wrote is correct.

There are class distinctions, but not in the way you think.

You think the lower income working class Liberal voters are "Tories" even when compared to middle to upper middle class Greens voting base as an example?

The only one spouting drivel is you.

Not really sure what point you're trying to make regarding the Liberals and Nationals? Some kind of pedantic dross?
Sort of like calling them Tories.

Another thing I learned today is that one poster on BF is infallible (and it’s not me).

In 75 years the Liberals have achieved gun reform which I acknowledge is a huge achievement.

The problem with Liberals is that they have to be dragged kicking and screaming into debates of importance. Then if we’re really lucky they’ll be backed into a corner and have no other choice but to do the right thing. Hence voting rights for indigenous people, the watering down of the White Australia Policy and the rights of gays to get married have managed to avoid the cold, hard hand of conservatism.

My original comment stands. The Liberals struggle with big ticket items.

Labor introduces the big ideas. Pass them into legislation and watch the Tories tear it down. It’s a tradition that the Liberals spend the first term of government tearing down the good policy of the previous Labor Government.

We’re still struggling to forge our identity. Don’t expect the Liberals to do anything about it.

We’re still struggling with indigenous recognition. Don’t expect the Liberals to do anything about it.

We have unemployed people living in poverty. Don’t expect the Liberals to do anything about it.

We don’t have an effective climate policy. Don’t expect the Liberals to do anything about it.

The working people in this country are living through a recession. Don’t expect the Liberals to do anything about it.

The Liberals stand for big business, tax cuts for the wealthy, looking after the well off, industrial relations which promote lower wages and reduced conditions, union bashing and punishing people on welfare.

We truly live in a country where everybody is treated equally.

Last edited:
Another thing I learned today is that one poster on BF is infallible (and it’s not me).

In 75 years the Liberals have achieved gun reform which I acknowledge is a huge achievement.

The problem with Liberals is that they have to be dragged kicking and screaming into debates of importance. Then if we’re really lucky they’ll be backed into a corner and have no other choice but to do the right thing. Hence voting rights for indigenous people, the watering down of the White Australia Policy and the rights of gays to get married have managed to avoid the cold, hard hand of conservatism.

My original comment stands. The Liberals struggle with big ticket items.

Labor introduces the big ideas. Pass them into legislation and watch the Tories tear it down. It’s a tradition that the Liberals spend the first term of government tearing down the good policy of the previous Labor Government.

We’re still struggling to forge our identity. Don’t expect the Liberals to do anything about it.

We’re still struggling with indigenous recognition. Don’t expect the Liberals to do anything about it.

We have unemployed people living in poverty. Don’t expect the Liberals to do anything about it.

We don’t have an effective climate policy. Don’t expect the Liberals to do anything about it.

The working people in this country are living through a recession. Don’t expect the Liberals to do anything about it.

The Liberals stand for big business, tax cuts for the wealthy, looking after the well off, industrial relations which promote lower wages and reduced conditions, union bashing and punishing people on welfare.

We truly live in a country where everybody is treated equally.

Written and authorised by the Australian Labor Party.

... which answers my question how precisely?

It points out that some of Hawke's success was on the back of things that are often tied to economic positions the likes of Thatcher and Reagan held at the time.

Their venture into Laissez-faire was highly unpopular with the more left leaning elements.

Even before entering parliament, Bob Hawke had a bad reputation as head of the ACTU. He was known as “the Fireman” because of his role in ending strikes and hosing down disputes. His first loyalty was to Australian capitalism.

https://www.solidarity.net.au/highlights/bob-hawke-australias-thatcher/

No doubt Bob's appeal was that he could connect with the middle centrist types of both parties.

It points out that some of Hawke's success was on the back of things that are often tied to economic positions the likes of Thatcher and Reagan held at the time.

Their venture into Laissez-faire was highly unpopular with the more left leaning elements.

https://www.solidarity.net.au/highlights/bob-hawke-australias-thatcher/

No doubt Bob's appeal was that he could connect with the middle centrist types of both parties.
Not relevant to the question I asked, at all.

I asked you this:
... can you say many more achievements done by liberal governments to shape our modern democracy over the achievements of - say - the Hawke government?
You informed me before that I cannot refuse the Liberal party their part in gay marriage; why are you denying the Labor party the deeds of one of its greatest leaders? Not relevant, though.

The point I was getting at was that for a party that is in power roughly 70% of the time, the Libs don't do a whole lot with it. The Labor party, on the other hand, legislate like crazy, frequently to the country's benefit, and bring about critical reform and policy agenda that can and has brought about prosperity here.

Edit: Also a little weird that you would ask a communist what their stance on a capitalist is, expecting one to laud the other. Solidarity is much, much further left than the Labor party has ever been.

Not relevant to the question I asked, at all.

I asked you this:

You informed me before that I cannot refuse the Liberal party their part in gay marriage; why are you denying the Labor party the deeds of one of its greatest leaders? Not relevant, though.

The point I was getting at was that for a party that is in power roughly 70% of the time, the Libs don't do a whole lot with it. The Labor party, on the other hand, legislate like crazy, frequently to the country's benefit, and bring about critical reform and policy agenda that can and has brought about prosperity here.

Edit: Also a little weird that you would ask a communist what their stance on a capitalist is, expecting one to laud the other. Solidarity is much, much further left than the Labor party has ever been.

I'm not denying Hawke's achievements. I'm saying what he did to achieve many of them was not due to what is considered the Labor Party position. He took a page out of the Conservatives of the time and used their methods to get things done.

So it simply points out that saying Labor has done more is somewhat disingenuous because their most successful period was when they took on the unions, privatised etc

Exactly the kind of things the Liberals have been lambasted for doing at different points in their history.

I provided that link as that's the view of the unionists of the time of Hawke. He was more of a Thatcher character to them.

"The countrys benefit" is a subjective view.

I'm not denying Hawke's achievements. I'm saying what he did to achieve many of them was not due to what is considered the Labor Party position. He took a page out of the Conservatives of the time and used their methods to get things done.

So it simply points out that saying Labor has done more is somewhat disingenuous because their most successful period was when they took on the unions, privatised etc

Exactly the kind of things the Liberals have been lambasted for doing at different points in their history.

I provided that link as that's the view of the unionists of the time of Hawke. He was more of a Thatcher character to them.

"The countrys benefit" is a subjective view.
This is all rather disingenuous.

Firstly, Malcolm Fraser opposed deregulation of the financial system, supporting the systems of tariffs and taxation that retained our status as a second tier economy; he did this out of base conservatism, as is the Liberal party's wont over their duration. When Hawke floated the dollar and reduced the regulation over the financial sector, the policies were not neoconservative by any means whatsoever; the mere fact of deregulation does not immediately entail neoconservatism. They were designed to allow the Australian economy to flourish, for our exports to increase and for products imported to sell to the middle class - just as China began to grow; one of the most forgotten parts of our political history is how Gough Whitlam was one of the first foreign powers to recognise China's sovereignty, and to build a trade relationship with them that to this day is our most valuable - to improve the lot of middle Australia.

You simply cannot argue that because Labor in this incarnation resembled superficially (read, not at all) a more right wing government whilst reintroducing Medibank with the new Medicare, the introduction of superannuation as a means to protect the financial security of the elderly, successive increases in funding to education via retention rates in schools and childcare for parents, a 50% increase in public housing, and actually paid attention to environmental issues. I'd say that'd be far more misleading, wouldn't you?

The bloke apportioned more funds to families, to veterans, to the poor, to the elderly, to the sick, and the disabled than Whitlam did, and you're calling him Australia's Thatcher.

:drunk:

This is all rather disingenuous.

Firstly, Malcolm Fraser opposed deregulation of the financial system, supporting the systems of tariffs and taxation that retained our status as a second tier economy; he did this out of base conservatism, as is the Liberal party's wont over their duration. When Hawke floated the dollar and reduced the regulation over the financial sector, the policies were not neoconservative by any means whatsoever; the mere fact of deregulation does not immediately entail neoconservatism. They were designed to allow the Australian economy to flourish, for our exports to increase and for products imported to sell to the middle class - just as China began to grow; one of the most forgotten parts of our political history is how Gough Whitlam was one of the first foreign powers to recognise China's sovereignty, and to build a trade relationship with them that to this day is our most valuable - to improve the lot of middle Australia.

I didn't use the term neo-conservatism, I spoke of neo-liberalism. The terms are apples and oranges.

Recognising China's sovereignty was like legitimising an evil Tyrant. Plenty of blood money in those deals.

You simply cannot argue that because Labor in this incarnation resembled superficially (read, not at all) a more right wing government whilst reintroducing Medibank with the new Medicare, the introduction of superannuation as a means to protect the financial security of the elderly, successive increases in funding to education via retention rates in schools and childcare for parents, a 50% increase in public housing, and actually paid attention to environmental issues. I'd say that'd be far more misleading, wouldn't you?

The bloke apportioned more funds to families, to veterans, to the poor, to the elderly, to the sick, and the disabled than Whitlam did, and you're calling him Australia's Thatcher.

:drunk:

I called him Australia's Thatcher because he privatised, took on the unions and allowed for more free markets and trades that turned around the nations fortunes, just like Thatcher did at the same time.

Did he not do those things?

He was more like Thatcher than Fraser was that's for sure.

The word Liberal is falsely used in this country.
The so called Liberal party is arch conservative right wing facism if we care to get down to brass tacks. But most people in this country wouldn't even know what that means. And they get fooled over and over by bribery and deceit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back