Preview Politics in Australia

What are the three key issues of the 2019 Federal Election?

• The economy

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Tax

• Government Services

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Climate policy

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Animal welfare

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Environment

• Wages

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Industrial democracy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Superannuation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Housing affordability

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we trending? S

It’s funny that you want to mire yourself in the past and pat yourself on the back for doing the right thing. I think you should inform yourself because the effects of that Government are still well and truly entrenched in this country. Go and read and get your head around what actually happened. An Eagles supporter in Tootgarook. :think:

Not patting myself on the back, I respect Gough, dont idolise him, voted him in, voted him out & I dont need anyone to try & spin their version of what happened.
So pray tell, what is it I need to inform myself of, I dont need a history lesson. I'm not unaware of what Gough achieved, Australia knew in 1975 what he had done & voted him out.

& if you are some sort of rusted on Laborite I voted Bob in, Keating out, Rudd in & out, Howard in & out, Fraser in & out. Party politics are a waste of space, I make up my own mind.

As for Tootgarook, I've lived in all the mainland capitals, if that helps??

Margaret gave me & mine the two fingers, Goughs government was as bad as McMahons, thats why the Aus people democratically voted him out, seems you say we were not entitled to our vote/opinion, technically I agree, even still, see ya Gough, the mess the Govt was in was of Goughs making & enough was enough.
Close the stable door Robbo, the horse has bolted.
If you care to have a look, a number of Newscorp's editors resigned due to the degree to which Murdoch ran a one sided and hostile campaign against the Whitlam government. Let that sink in.

What would it take for the current head of the Australian and the Herald Sun to resign due to a lack of impartiality? What would Murdoch even have to accuse Labor of, to make that happen? Bear in mind, back then the media had a real influence over the majority of this country and who they voted for, and those newspapers had real political pull.

Gough was voted out, sure, but who told them in what direction to vote? Who made the case for them? If the shoe was on the other foot - and the GG dismissed a sitting Liberal PM - would the lines ran by Newscorp have been so hostile towards a dismissed PM, or would they have run the story about how a democracy was subverted by a foreign power?

If you care to have a look, a number of Newscorp's editors resigned due to the degree to which Murdoch ran a one sided and hostile campaign against the Whitlam government. Let that sink in.

What would it take for the current head of the Australian and the Herald Sun to resign due to a lack of impartiality? What would Murdoch even have to accuse Labor of, to make that happen? Bear in mind, back then the media had a real influence over the majority of this country and who they voted for, and those newspapers had real political pull.

Gough was voted out, sure, but who told them in what direction to vote? Who made the case for them? If the shoe was on the other foot - and the GG dismissed a sitting Liberal PM - would the lines ran by Newscorp have been so hostile towards a dismissed PM, or would they have run the story about how a democracy was subverted by a foreign power?

Murdoch told me how to vote, are you sound of mind?

Murdoch told me how to vote, are you sound of mind?
Murdoch's told plenty of people how to vote, just as the commentators on TV tell plenty of people how to watch the footy.

Do yourself a favour, and pay attention a little bit more. See what criticism is said on Friday night footy, then what you're hearing in a pub on Saturday. People like to feel smart, people will and do repeat what was written elsewhere. It's something we do, as a communal species; we gossip, and we like to have a good opinion of ourselves.

And Murdoch wouldn't spend as much as he does on newspaper in this country if they lacked political oomph. Are you telling me you fair dinkum think that what the bloke chooses to publish isn't consumed by a startling number of Australians, that the term 'political correctness gone mad' wasn't created and cultivated by Murdoch and the various shockjocks, that the majority of the things people think and want are not given to them at 6:00pm, with the news and A Current Affair?

Most people do not want to think for themselves. They're tired, and they do not want to spend time challenging themselves to know what to think or what is fact over what is comfortable. Murdoch definitely told you how to vote, and you personally might've done what you were going to do anyway; doesn't stop other people from listening, or being influenced by smear campaigns.

In the interest of fair play I found this on Billy McMahon and his achievements as PM. Sounds like a good read but I’ll scrounge around for remainder stock for a good price. It’s a cracker of a title and one that the witty E G Whitlam bestowed on poor Billy.

You can’t bulls**t the locals Scott especially looking like that. :oops:

What Aus does makes no difference if China gets half to the Paris number & India does nothing, bad luck Tuvalu, of course if you dont want the money, we'll give it to the Cook Islands.

In the interest of fair play I found this on Billy McMahon and his achievements as PM. Sounds like a good read but I’ll scrounge around for remainder stock for a good price. It’s a cracker of a title and one that the witty E G Whitlam bestowed on poor Billy.

Billy was the worst PM of my time by a long shot - Goughs turn of phrase was magnificent, as was Keating.

Murdoch's told plenty of people how to vote, just as the commentators on TV tell plenty of people how to watch the footy.

Do yourself a favour, and pay attention a little bit more. See what criticism is said on Friday night footy, then what you're hearing in a pub on Saturday. People like to feel smart, people will and do repeat what was written elsewhere. It's something we do, as a communal species; we gossip, and we like to have a good opinion of ourselves.

And Murdoch wouldn't spend as much as he does on newspaper in this country if they lacked political oomph. Are you telling me you fair dinkum think that what the bloke chooses to publish isn't consumed by a startling number of Australians, that the term 'political correctness gone mad' wasn't created and cultivated by Murdoch and the various shockjocks, that the majority of the things people think and want are not given to them at 6:00pm, with the news and A Current Affair?

Most people do not want to think for themselves. They're tired, and they do not want to spend time challenging themselves to know what to think or what is fact over what is comfortable. Murdoch definitely told you how to vote, and you personally might've done what you were going to do anyway; doesn't stop other people from listening, or being influenced by smear campaigns.

Given I was working in WA at that time & Murdochs media interests were non existent, his reach was nothing like today, does nothing for your elitist nonsense that the rest of us, the mob, cant work it out, its a Graeme Richardson saying (if you are looking at it in political terms).

Blaming Murdoch is a crutch for you thats apparent, I will continue to take my media from across the board, not believe just one point of view, e.g the ABC & Murdoch agree on looking after their journos as they should, I'm interested in the core of this issue being national security, so I look beyond the vested interests.

Given I was working in WA at that time & Murdochs media interests were non existent, his reach was nothing like today, does nothing for your elitist nonsense that the rest of us, the mob, cant work it out, its a Graeme Richardson saying (if you are looking at it in political terms).

Blaming Murdoch is a crutch for you thats apparent, I will continue to take my media from across the board, not believe just one point of view, e.g the ABC & Murdoch agree on looking after their journos as they should, I'm interested in the core of this issue being national security, so I look beyond the vested interests.
Given that Australia's population at the time was around 12.51 million and WA's population - as of 1970 was just under 1 million people, you'll forgive me if I call your experience of that particular era non-archetypical of the media landscape in the 70's for the majority of Australia (in which the majority of the population was condensed in Victoria, South Australia and NSW).

Blaming Murdoch when he's pretty much the polar opposite of my point of view isn't a crutch; at least, no more a crutch than setting up a political party solely to oppose something or creating a foundation not for your own ideas but for the ideas that allow you to make the most money. As for 'elitist' - the conservative catchcry for someone educated who doesn't agree with them - I'm as working class as they come.

But, again, this isn't about me; why other posters in here keep trying to make it about me leads me to wonder why they cannot argue in good faith.

One last thing Gough purchased ‘Blue Poles’. Pretty astute investment.

And this is the IPAs(aka Liberal Party) contribution to art.

Given that Australia's population at the time was around 12.51 million and WA's population - as of 1970 was just under 1 million people, you'll forgive me if I call your experience of that particular era non-archetypical of the media landscape in the 70's for the majority of Australia (in which the majority of the population was condensed in Victoria, South Australia and NSW).

Blaming Murdoch when he's pretty much the polar opposite of my point of view isn't a crutch; at least, no more a crutch than setting up a political party solely to oppose something or creating a foundation not for your own ideas but for the ideas that allow you to make the most money. As for 'elitist' - the conservative catchcry for someone educated who doesn't agree with them - I'm as working class as they come.

But, again, this isn't about me; why other posters in here keep trying to make it about me leads me to wonder why they cannot argue in good faith.

Had worked for a bit over 12 months in Sydney & driven around Australia - not sure if that helps you wanting to sit in judgement, sorry I was entitled to vote, a vote of the same value as any other Australian.
Elitist not in the political sense, elitist because you clearly look down & judge 'I call your experience of that particular era non-archetypical of the media landscape' - if not elitist, a two bob snob, I'm sure you've come across them.
As for the crutch, Murdoch seems to support your opportunity to criticise, sweeping motherhood statements are lapped up by those of that persuasion.

Had worked for a bit over 12 months in Sydney & driven around Australia - not sure if that helps you wanting to sit in judgement, sorry I was entitled to vote, a vote of the same value as any other Australian.
Do me a favour, and tell me precisely where in my posts I said that I was judging the people who voted for Fraser over Whitlam after the dismissal, or that I denied you the right to vote.

It's truly obnoxious how often people misrepresent - ie, strawman the s**t out of - my arguments. I've not said what you seem to have taken from what I've said. Perhaps try reading, instead of reading between the lines.
Elitist not in the political sense, elitist because you clearly look down & judge 'I call your experience of that particular era non-archetypical of the media landscape' - if not elitist, a two bob snob, I'm sure you've come across them.
You told me you lived in a state Murdoch didn't have media access to; I informed you that WA - the state you told me you lived in - represented less than 10% of the population of Australia at the time, which means that your experience of the media at that point was non-archetypical - read, not representative - of the experiences of the majority of Australia. This is accurate, not being a snob.

If you didn't work in WA at the time - or drove trucks around, whatever - that's different from saying that you worked somewhere Murdoch's press couldn't reach. Perhaps say what you mean, instead of changing your story when it suits your argument.
As for the crutch, Murdoch seems to support your opportunity to criticise, sweeping motherhood statements are lapped up by those of that persuasion.
Hmmm...

I'm not sure what you're saying here. You seem to have an issue with speaking clearly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly we have nothing to discuss, thats me judging your content.
And that's the difference between us. I'm perfectly happy to discuss that era, seeing as I wasn't there for it; I want to know what it was like, how things were. I've studied history, political history because it interests me. I'm fine with people disagreeing, or arguing with me, so long as they argue in good faith.

I make no judgements over you, where you've clearly made judgements about me. You are unwilling to be challenged and to challenge back, which dooms you to lose any argument you enter into whether you're right or wrong.

Good morning Robbo,

US chucks a yield curve ball

As equity markets got their undies in a bunch yesterday and panickedly shed value (more than $1 trillion from the US market, followed by a $60 billion devaluation here in Australia), you may have been tempted to join the throngs of interested amateurs ducking to the dunnies to Google "inverted yield curve" in privacy. But you needn’t bother! Because ABC business reporter Stephen Letts has explained it all for you.

Play it as it leis: the Morrison doctrine

Having presented a very reasonable excuse not to attend last year's Pacific Forum ("Dear Pacific Forum, unfortunately I only just became Prime Minister of Australia and am too busy working out which key goes where to attend"), Scott Morrison showed up to the 2019 event this week and was immediately confronted with a) an undeclinable floral headpiece (pictured here) and b) a draft communique from Pacific leaders calling on all signatories to commit to phasing out coal.

Clearly, a man who some in the region may recall for his part in this hilarious 2015 hot-mic moment in which Australia’s most senior political figures chuckled about the odds of Port Moresby being swamped by rising sea levelswill need — in the circumstances — to pack a special little extra something for the hosts.

And he did – the PM came promising $500 million in funding for regional projects to build resistance and resilience to climate change. This bauble was funded from existing aid funding (cue muffled screams from Julie Bishop) and did not exempt Australia from a Jacinda Ardern lecture about everyone having to do their bit in their own backyard. But Ardern’s deputy, Winston Peters, piped up to point out that if Pacific nations were bothered by coal, they should stop accepting so much coal-funded Chinese largesse.

Speaking of the climate, a Middle Eastern business is keen for water and is coming for icebergs. Well, sort of.

EU seeks un-feta-ed trade access

Right, so the Europeans — fancying themselves a bit, no doubt, now that the UK seems to be on the mat after a dizzying hail of self-inflicted blows — have shaped up to us on trade, presenting Trade Minister Simon Birmingham with a list of hundreds of things we're not allowed to call food and drink anymore.

And sure, possibly the direction not to label any Aussie duck products "Canard à foie gras du Sud-Ouest" will be uncontroversial at the Woollies' smallgoods counter. But feta? Marzipan? Speck? Here's the story, from global cheese correspondent Brett Worthington. Read it, quickly. WE RIDE AT DAWN.

Enough said

Senior rozzers from the Australian Federal Police, appearing this week before the Parliament's intelligence and security committee, were loath to expand on whether Annika Smethurst — the NewsCorp journalist whose undies drawer was searched for evidence as to who leaked her classified documents — would face personal criminal charges. Soon-to-depart Commissioner Andrew Colvin wouldn't rule it out — but check out the second video in this story, in which Colvin's deputy Neil Gaughan nearly says too much about who is suspected in the leak.

Me old China plate

The world has watched, horrified, this week, as tensions escalated between the Chinese Government and Hong Kong protesters. Domestically, the ABC's Investigations team unearthed links between the House of Representatives' first Chinese MP and a secretive Chinese influence network.

Until next time,

c4aca1fa-d615-4374-a039-25a094a1d815.jpg

Forward this email to a friend so they can sign up to this newsletter here.

Grattan’s take on the superannuation debate.

I like Ross. He never pulls his punches and he takes swipes at everyone on the political spectrum.

I doubt this Government will save us over the next three years.

Saw that.

Does make me wonder what's in the water in Sydney sometimes, that they listen to a bloke like that at the rate they do.
The Liberal Party glitterati break their necks to get on his program. It makes you wonder...not really. It ******* obvious why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back