Preview Politics in Australia

What are the three key issues of the 2019 Federal Election?

• The economy

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Tax

• Government Services

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Climate policy

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Animal welfare

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Environment

• Wages

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Industrial democracy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Superannuation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Housing affordability

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current PM is a weasel.

That article encapsulates why I really, really wish that people within the Union movement - or even better, the Greens - were more able to argue with the rent-a-quote economists from the IPA in their own words, someone with a sufficient a grasp on economics that they can use the terminologies of their opponents against them. Morrison (and Abbott a few times) has used 'misogyny and 'sexism' to attack his political opponents, because the terms ring with those on the opposite aisle. Would that someone could deconstruct an attempt to divert the conversation away from an issue into economics, or is perfectly willing to follow them and beat them there.

Re Alan Jones. Ardern still refuses to respond directly but she knows how to hurt us.

“I understand that [Jones] of course used to be closely linked to the Wallabies... let's just say that I think revenge is best served through a Bledisloe Cup," Ms Ardern said.

Who the * are ‘Quiet Australians’. Morrison’s pulling out phrases from his arse.

Why do the Liberals continue to make up stories about the Public Service.

More of his meaningless nonsense.

And here’s the speech. It’s going to be a long three years for us all.

Last edited:
George Pell had his appeal rejected !!!

k7u9Ga2.gif

Its one of those occaasions where you start to have faith back in a Judical system that has failed victims of childhood sexual abuse and other crimes for far too long..

Tim’s quirkiness kept me thoroughly entertained over the years. Rest In Peace.

Nothing shonky here. I’m watching Les Norton on the ABC. This happens in NSW all the time. It’s how things get done. Although I’d advise the guy handing over the money to give it to the people who can actually make it happen. ;)

Aren’t these the salt of the earth people who the PM lauds with lavish praise. Might even be a few quiet Australians amongst them. All those legitimate tax breaks and they still cheat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those of you who disrespect the supremacy of Parliament in the Westminster system. Turnbull and Morrison pulled these sort of stunts in the recent past.

That article encapsulates why I really, really wish that people within the Union movement - or even better, the Greens - were more able to argue with the rent-a-quote economists from the IPA in their own words, someone with a sufficient a grasp on economics that they can use the terminologies of their opponents against them. Morrison (and Abbott a few times) has used 'misogyny and 'sexism' to attack his political opponents, because the terms ring with those on the opposite aisle. Would that someone could deconstruct an attempt to divert the conversation away from an issue into economics, or is perfectly willing to follow them and beat them there.

You underline why Labor let Morrison stay in Government, the old adage Governments lose elections, Oppositions dont win them.

I thought you'd left.

Insightful comment, though. Elaborate, please.

I really, really wish that people within the Union movement - or even better, the Greens - were more able to argue with the rent-a-quote economists from the IPA in their own words

The inability to communicate the message to the masses at the last election, relying on the 'top end of town' catch calls.
If it were up to me, I'd revisit the campaign in Hunter to understand how rusted on unionists chose not to vote Labor - I'd ignore the knuckledraggers wanting to blame the other side, understand why Labor lost support.
Sadly Joel Fitzgibbon shoots himself in the foot too often to hold down a front bench spot in parliament.

I thought you'd left.

Insightful comment, though. Elaborate, please.
They only ever disappear when they lose!

To suggest that you know why Morrison is currently PM beggars belief. In reality the election in May hardly altered the landscape. It maintained the status quo. The pockets of ‘support’ for the coalition that saved its arse occurred in North Queensland where the possibility of jobs in a dying industry swayed the locals (they hate meddling southerners) and Tasmania. Nobody can determine what the Taswegians are doing. They don’t know. They flip-flop at every election.

The friendlier senate, where the cross bench was halved, was the most significant result coming out of the election. Turnbull invited the chaos through a double dissolution election in 2016 which resulted from smaller quotas to get these unsuitable parliamentarians elected. Now we have the likes of Bernardi, Hanson, Roberts and Lambie ‘protecting’ us from the extremist views of this Government.

That’s why I have grave fears for the future.

To suggest that you know why Morrison is currently PM beggars belief.
To suggest that you know why Morrison is currently PM beggars belief.

Not sure who you are referring to, BUT I can tell you ScoMorro is PM today.

The discussion I was attempting to hold is better off without bombastic cheerleaders of any persuasion.

The inability to communicate the message to the masses at the last election, relying on the 'top end of town' catch calls.
If it were up to me, I'd revisit the campaign in Hunter to understand how rusted on unionists chose not to vote Labor - I'd ignore the knuckledraggers wanting to blame the other side, understand why Labor lost support.
Sadly Joel Fitzgibbon shoots himself in the foot too often to hold down a front bench spot in parliament.
Is it that Labor lost support or failed to obtain it where they needed to?

There is certainly an argument to be made that the high policy agenda that Labor took to the election was not accepted by the electorate; the Coalition went in with nothing, with their pitbulls in the media doing their work for them in attacking Labor's policies. I will say that Shorten being leader made attacking Labor easy to do, based on nothing more than the commonly held perception that he was unlikable, which I did not understand and still don't.

It wasn't quite what I was getting at when I made the comment you quoted, but it's an apt enough application. They argued too narrowly, focussing on convincing people that were not in the places where they needed the votes, whilst Morrison sat - occasionally - on a bus in QLD, touring the towns he needed to hold onto government.
They only ever disappear when they lose!

To suggest that you know why Morrison is currently PM beggars belief. In reality the election in May hardly altered the landscape. It maintained the status quo. The pockets of ‘support’ for the coalition that saved its arse occurred in North Queensland where the possibility of jobs in a dying industry swayed the locals (they hate meddling southerners) and Tasmania. Nobody can determine what the Taswegians are doing. They don’t know. They flip-flop at every election.

The friendlier senate, where the cross bench was halved, was the most significant result coming out of the election. Turnbull invited the chaos through a double dissolution election in 2016 which resulted from smaller quotas to get these unsuitable parliamentarians elected. Now we have the likes of Bernardi, Hanson, Roberts and Lambie ‘protecting’ us from the extremist views of this Government.

That’s why I have grave fears for the future.
I think the fact that it maintained the status quo was what he was getting at, by his use of the oft quoted 'Governments lose elections, oppositions don't win them'.

Labor didn't need to go in as publicly policy heavy as they did. That they had their policies publicly released made them easier to attack by Murdoch newspapers and conservative pundits on talkback, and because they were trying to do what was necessary for Australia as a whole meant that there were sections of the population (the old, for example) that felt that certain policies were targeted at them, and this was not adequately confronted or explained by Labor.

You've got the other reasons why Labor lost (Palmer's $57 million in an effort not to win seats but to channel votes in QLD away from Labor back to the Coalition being one of them) but as far as their own efforts went, it's a suitable enough commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back