Preview Politics in Australia

What are the three key issues of the 2019 Federal Election?

• The economy

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Tax

• Government Services

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Climate policy

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Animal welfare

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Environment

• Wages

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Industrial democracy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Superannuation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Housing affordability

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I misunderstand:

Who are these people again ?
Are there similar examples on the other side of the political spectrum?
Here is my issue here: you've basically accused me of stereotyping, and in order to answer your followup question I need to stereotype to do so. See the problem there? Especially when as I've stated the ABC is a genuine cross section of Australian society, with people from whatever subset you care to mention finding value somehow.

The Liberal-National party federally generally play the populist shtick whilst representing the interests of business and finding jobs for the boys, hiding their corruption behind whataboutism; ergo, anyone who is not 'one of the boys' from a prestigious college/university and is unwilling to sacrifice others in their own interests is not a person who should support the Liberal-National party. They get around this in a number of ways, one of which is appealling to a secret Australia, using collective and vague terms to hint at literally everyone they possibly can; and you know what they say, you don't have to fool everyone all the time, you just have to fool them on election day...

Here is my issue here: you've basically accused me of stereotyping, and in order to answer your followup question I need to stereotype to do so. See the problem there? Especially when as I've stated the ABC is a genuine cross section of Australian society, with people from whatever subset you care to mention finding value somehow.

I was curious that you went down the stereotype line. Perhaps it is me getting annoyed by anyone expecting another to vote a particular way.
I agree on how the Libs appeal to some, equally how the Greens attract, ditto Labor - happy to number the whole range of views around the barbecue & every bit as civil as a an animated footy discussion.

I was curious that you went down the stereotype line. Perhaps it is me getting annoyed by anyone expecting another to vote a particular way.
I agree on how the Libs appeal to some, equally how the Greens attract, ditto Labor - happy to number the whole range of views around the barbecue & every bit as civil as a an animated footy discussion.
Damn it, why don't all of you agree with me!!! :D

I do take your meaning, but I genuinely despise the kind of dishonestly practiced by both sides, but that the Coalition has become known for. Given the depths to which Labor has sunk, it takes a bit of doing for the Libs to have slunk even lower.

Good on the Chinese for banning a couple of red necks from entering their country. Let those without sin cast the first stone. Taking the moral high ground on human rights breaches when we imprison people who have committed no crimes without trial is a joke.

STFU Izzy Folau.

I still recall with great sadness the tragedy of poor Tyrone Unsworth, and this is why people like Israel Folau and their views need to be condemned, if not ideally censored from all media reporting.

Beats me why Izzy is so obsessed/fixated over homosexuals and gay marriage, how the hell does it negatively affect his life or beliefs in any way, unless he is in denial about his own true sexuality..

This latest linking bushfires with SSM is really contemptible, even by Izzy's toxic standards.

STFU Izzy Folau.

I still recall with great sadness the tragedy of poor Tyrone Unsworth, and this is why people like Israel Folau and their views need to be condemned, if not ideally censored from all media reporting.

Beats me why Izzy is so obsessed/fixated over homosexuals and gay marriage, how the hell does it negatively affect his life or beliefs in any way, unless he is in denial about his own true sexuality..

This latest linking bushfires with SSM is really contemptible, even by Izzy's toxic standards.

Why do the media continue to listen & report what he says ? Feed the outrage?

I agree, they are part of the problem, and annoyingly, this stuff now gets reported worldwide, and it does (shouldn't but it does) reflect badly on us as a country)

It's the same as the Gillette stuff; marketing companies discovered that it really doesn't matter what they're saying about you so long as you're getting clicks. If you lit your razors in fire - as some of the muppets did in the wake of the Gillette controversy - you're going to need more razors and they're banking on you not really caring anymore, once the outrage has simmered down.

Think about it; you can make as much of a hullabaloo online as you like, but none of the people you're talking to there know you in real life, nor are they likely to be there to judge you if you really don't care (as many don't) what razor you buy.

The media make their money from the outrage, Israel Folau keeps his name prominent in people's minds (both those who support 'freedom of speech' and those who think he's being very silly if not dangerous) and the public's need for mindless gossip is maintained. Everyone wins and loses, all at the same time, as long as more content is achieved.

That this occurred is a disgrace. It was clearly based on an incorrect method from the start but the Government refused to change tack. Fits its method of operation. Look after the people who vote for you and pick on the easy targets. Nothing but campaigners this lot.

People working longer will be compulsory and not a choice. That’s what results from having too many conservative Governments which have driven down wages and demonised unions. And don’t get me started on wage theft!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People working longer will be compulsory and not a choice. That’s what results from having too many conservative Governments which have driven down wages and demonised unions. And don’t get me started on wage theft!

You could ask yourself why Morrison got back & look yourself in the mirror as you do it: did you call Shorten on straddling a barbed fence over Adani, chasing green votes, turning his back on miners?

Is compulsory super driving wages down? No, I'm not criticising compulsory super per se.

You could ask yourself why Morrison got back & look yourself in the mirror as you do it: did you call Shorten on straddling a barbed fence over Adani, chasing green votes, turning his back on miners?

Is compulsory super driving wages down? No, I'm not criticising compulsory super per se.
'But Labor.'

Is this jukebox stuck?

STFU Izzy Folau.

First time on politics board. I dont agree at all with what Izzy said to be clear, but one thing that has gone missing in this instance is that he was making the remarks in a church as part of a sermon. Not sure how the footage got out but if he didnt leak then he is actually not shoving his views down the general communities throats like some have reported. Ive taught in plenty of places with high percentage of Kiwi mauuri people and christian religious beliefs are as much a part of their culture as connection to country is to aboriginal culture. For all the attention on some minority groups one culture that is struggling hugely is natives from a pacific island background. They are the only cultural group that has a higher incarceration rate than Australian aboriginal. The hate directed by the media and online towards religious beliefs shows is insane in Australia right now and displays the same level of ignorance that people throw at Folau. Look at social media. Its full of comments like **** your god Israel. Im not Christian and I strongly oppose the views of Israel, but geez the so called social justice movement behaves more and more like the people who they claim to hate by the day in Australia.

First time on politics board. I dont agree at all with what Izzy said to be clear, but one thing that has gone missing in this instance is that he was making the remarks in a church as part of a sermon. Not sure how the footage got out but if he didnt leak then he is actually not shoving his views down the general communities throats like some have reported. Ive taught in plenty of places with high percentage of Kiwi mauuri people and christian religious beliefs are as much a part of their culture as connection to country is to aboriginal culture. For all the attention on some minority groups one culture that is struggling hugely is natives from a pacific island background. They are the only cultural group that has a higher incarceration rate than Australian aboriginal. The hate directed by the media and online towards religious beliefs shows is insane in Australia right now and displays the same level of ignorance that people throw at Folau. Look at social media. Its full of comments like **** your god Israel. Im not Christian and I strongly oppose the views of Israel, but geez the so called social justice movement behaves more and more like the people who they claim to hate by the day in Australia.
Bear in mind, this thread is part of the Carlton forum, not the politics board, but welcome!

I really don't see the difference between making statements like that in a church or in an open street. It is no different, really, than making such a comment on Bigfooty; both are public forums, and open to the public. The only caveat that might save him there is a form of whataboutism, because there are worse religions and worse things said worldwide without the coverage, but that doesn't really excuse him or absolve him of what he's done. 'Everybody's doing it' is not really a worthy excuse.

Labelling those who react to social media reporting with 'the social justice movement' is as disingenuous as it is political. It's divisive; you're separating yourself from those people you agree with in form if not in manner. Obviously, I agree with you that outrage culture is excessive, but that is a side effect of us going from living in 100 person villages and gossiping about the local drunks whilst lynching anyone who looked different to living in cities with technology; our cultural growth has not maintained pace with our technological growth.

I mean, people on both the left and right overreact to social media and to outrage inducing headlines, and neither cover themselves in much glory when they do. Trying to push that to one side by calling all the people attacking Folau as 'the social justice movement' when there are proponents from both sides of politics that are overreacting is trying to force a left/right dichotomy where there is none.

:rolleyes:

Damn fine runner Dr. Merv, unlucky to run into Herb Elliot
Don't mind me too much!

I just get very tired of everything under the sun somehow being Labor's fault, despite the Liberal-National coalition being in power for 27 of 33 years. At what point do you turn around and admit that, hey, perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Any government loves religion as it is a distraction for the people. Anything that involves collecting money from the poor to give to the "poorer" involves corruption. Most religions provide for the people up the top and little for everyone else. The sooner our govt makes them all start paying taxes the better, as hopefully it will weed out the leeches. The taxes can then be used for the homeless (in a perfect world), instead of making the spiritual leaders wealthy.

Yep, work until you die suckers, meanwhile he will "retire" on a very nice pension, beyond any mans needs proudly sponsered by the tax payers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back