Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you this time for not using the terms “fear-mongers”, “bedwetters”, “panic merchants”, “nervous nellies” or “massive overreaction”. These terms have until now been in most of your posts, lending you to have the appearance of a conspiracy theorist on this issue. It didn’t help that you also claimed that long-Covid is imaginary.

1. Vast majority could mean anything from 90% to 99%. I think 95% would be the proportion of people with no long lasting effects from the virus. When the virus is universal, that would mean more than a million Australians with long lasting effects from the virus (death or debilitation). 99% would still mean hundreds of thousands with long term effects.

2. The health system in NSW is not in good shape. Nor Victoria if you check Crankyhawk ‘s updates. We need to reduce the numbers of Covid patients on any one day as much as possible. It would be much better if WA slowly allows the Omicron variant to spread.

3. Your waddabout the kids of Africa deflection is Morrisonesque. Dishonest and self serving. The economic cost of doing little to nothing would have been much greater than it has been

4. Totalitarianism is dangerous. This is not totalitarianism. It is a proportional response to a major health challenge, that our constitution allows for. Curfews were a response to pressure on police being able to control public movement, which was certainly a public health measure.

Covid zero was an excellent plan agreed to by all premiers in Australia, and begrudgingly agreed to by the PM. It enabled our economy to recover and act close to normal. It worked despite failures in border control until the NSW premier failed to react in time to prevent wide spread across the eastern seaboard. This was despite her “gold standard” health system. It was nothing to do with China, and didn’t employ the same methods.

McGowan is the only premier still following the plan agreed to at National Cabinet. He has said he will open up when vaccination levels make it comparatively safe to do so. Whatever happens he will get criticised for opening too early or opening too late. I just hope he does it differently to NSW.

Ooh, I called you a fear - monger? You called me a moron, but more pertinently then worrying about petty personal insults, you have completely misrepresented my views for who knows what reason. As you have done again. I never said long covid was imaginary. I could continue with the back and forth, but I'm with Cesoir now
I'm keeping track of all the posters who have had their opinion swayed by repetition of the same tired old arguments on here.

Tally so far: 0
Predicted tally: 0

Ooh, I called you a fear - monger? You called me a moron, but more pertinently then worrying about petty personal insults, you have completely misrepresented my views for who knows what reason. As you have done again. I never said long covid was imaginary. I could continue with the back and forth, but I'm with Cesoir now

No I haven’t misrepresented your views, if what you wrote is a reflection of your views. And you didn’t necessarily call just me a fearmonger. You used these terms in multiple posts. You barely had a post without some self serving insult.
And you claimed that long-Covid is psychosomatic. Do you deny that? I inserted imaginary for psychosomatic for obvious reasons.

I addressed your points and you cracked a sook.

Officially sooking out and off to read a book. Enjoy. Psychosomatic is not imaginary, but who can be bothered?

No I haven’t misrepresented your views, if what you wrote is a reflection of your views. And you didn’t necessarily call just me a fearmonger. You used these terms in multiple posts. You barely had a post without some self serving insult.
And you claimed that long-Covid is psychosomatic. Do you deny that? I inserted imaginary for psychosomatic for obvious reasons.

I addressed your points and you cracked a sook.
Psychosomatic is not imaginary. The symptoms feel real but relate to many different drivers which are difficult to treat.
Imaginary is more “faking” ie not actually having the symptoms but using for gain. Yes there can be overlap

Psychosomatic is not imaginary. The symptoms feel real but relate to many different drivers which are difficult to treat.
Imaginary is more “faking” ie not actually having the symptoms but using for gain. Yes there can be overlap
The context that Square Peg was talking about Long CoVid was that it shouldn’t affect any public health planning because it was psychosomatic. i.e. he was inferring that it was imagined rather than being real. When a disorder is dismissed as psychosomatic then that eliminates the need to treat the disorder properly. I’ve shown quotes so you can look if you have time.
I also think psychosomatic is a term destined for the dustbin of history, as it doesn’t help with treatment. I’m probably not supported there, I know.

Psychosomatic illness, like chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, long covid etc isn't fake. It just isn't a reason to shut down businesses and young people's lives. At least in my opinion.
Psychosomatic is certainly a pejorative term if it leads to doctors and others not bothering to try and treat or limit your disorder. Look up the other illnesses you claimed were psychosomatic and see the testimonies of patients who have suffered from the quackery of treatments or dismissal of their concerns because a definitive cause had not (until now) been found.

The context that Square Peg was talking about Long CoVid was that it shouldn’t affect any public health planning because it was psychosomatic. i.e. he was inferring that it was imagined rather than being real. When a disorder is dismissed as psychosomatic then that eliminates the need to treat the disorder properly. I’ve shown quotes so you can look if you have time.
I also think psychosomatic is a term destined for the dustbin of history, as it doesn’t help with treatment. I’m probably not supported there, I know.
Soz, just came in with the tagging so haven’t read the whole thread.

Jesus there is some terrified people on this thread. I genuinely feel sorry for those of you making such wildly exaggerated and outlandish claims.
one of my favourites is when people who haven’t left WA in 2 years or more are busy telling us how horrendous and awful it is here on the east coast.
well I’m in Melbourne and can assure you its all bullshit. People are going about their lives as normal, yeah covid is circulating but there’s no mayhem or society disentegrating as some whole have you believe.
I switched on the tv today to watch the cricket in the supposed hellhole that is NSW and I saw terrified people desperately trying to survive the covid apocalypse in NSW like zombies in a horror movie actually no that’s not what I saw, instead it was 30,000 odd fans having an amazing time watching an ashes test match. Perrotet might not be everyone’s cup of tea but he was the one politician that gave hope to tens of thousands of Australian citizens that were shamefully locked out of their OWN COUNTRY for far far longer than should ever have been deemed acceptable, in the process destroying thousands of relationships (including my own) and causing hardship and pain for so many Aussie families. If we were still relying on the Mark McGowans and his ilk, we would still probably only have celebrities and millionaires able to comes and go from the country as they pleased, which was the case up until 1 November.
Yeah it’s a funny one isn’t it. There’s a lot of Perth weirdos who think it’s chaos over here when it’s anything but that.

7230B135-1E26-4BFA-AE57-DB3AB8FAD4B7.jpeg
If you are going to make a rule, at least stick to it.

embarrassing that there's already been an exemption made for an event, even if it is footy. Has set a precedent for future games at Freo oval, especially considering you would expect a smaller crowd for non Derby's.

I can’t stand Djokovic but I hope he wins his appeal, plays in the Aus open and exposes the shambolic hypocrisy of the federal gov, vic gov and tennis Australia in this whole debacle. Also feel sorry for the female tennis player deported yesterday after spending over a week in the country and following all the rules and requirements that were asked of her when she arrived last week (but suddenly changed when a more high profile person came in under the same circumstances).

I can’t stand Djokovic but I hope he wins his appeal, plays in the Aus open and exposes the shambolic hypocrisy of the federal gov, vic gov and tennis Australia in this whole debacle. Also feel sorry for the female tennis player deported yesterday after spending over a week in the country and following all the rules and requirements that were asked of her when she arrived last week (but suddenly changed when a more high profile person came in under the same circumstances).

We could always hold him down and vaccinate the prick. (Djoking)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't they kick start the new Children's Hospital..? Have a snipe but also give some credit..
2 years of waiting for COVID. Waiting for it to come & I can't see the preparations 😂
Yep Barney Rubble and his band of bandits did get the kids hospital but. But at what cost? It was late, by years, over budget, we over.
So much needed to be done by the Labour Government after they took over. Remember the millions it was costing the state with the parking station that No one could access. Multi, multi millions a month.
Barney, like the Faith Healer, has a lot to answer for.

Yep Barney Rubble and his band of bandits did get the kids hospital but. But at what cost? It was late, by years, over budget, we over.
So much needed to be done by the Labour Government after they took over. Remember the millions it was costing the state with the parking station that No one could access. Multi, multi millions a month.
Barney, like the Faith Healer, has a lot to answer for.
Yes he has Optus Stadium Elizabeth quay, two hospitals with the lowest Iron Ore royalties ever. I didnt like him but his legacy has grown since he went.

Yes he has Optus Stadium Elizabeth quay, two hospitals with the lowest Iron Ore royalties ever. I didnt like him but his legacy has grown since he went.
Again John, bullshit. He crippled our financial status by utensil ups.
The kids hospital. Look at the things that had to be done after the Labor gov took over.
The Matagara bridge. All sent OS by Barney to me constructed. When it arrived it was useless. Had to be rebuilt here in WA. Costing the state many many millions that need not have.
The Pit Master has sent the State into a never before seen seen deficit.
During one of the most wealthy periods with iron ore, that we have ever seen.
You are talking rubbish.

Again John, bullshit. He crippled our financial status by utensil ups.
The kids hospital. Look at the things that had to be done after the Labor gov took over.
The Matagara bridge. All sent OS by Barney to me constructed. When it arrived it was useless. Had to be rebuilt here in WA. Costing the state many many millions that need not have.
The Pit Master has sent the State into a never before seen seen deficit.
During one of the most wealthy periods with iron ore, that we have ever seen.
You are talking rubbish.
We have just been through the highest Iron Ore prices and all time high GST. Thanks Scotty.

You forgot to list the 30 billion worth of debt.
Spending is easy.
If anyone tries to mention the Gst, don't forget as finance minister he was part of the WA team that was involved in organising how the funds were to be allocated.
Also for at least the first term of his government he had very strong iron ore royalties.
As a liberal voter I see his legacy as the s**t show the liberal party is now.

You forgot to list the 30 billion worth of debt.
Spending is easy.
If anyone tries to mention the Gst, don't forget as finance minister he was part of the WA team that was involved in organising how the funds were to be allocated.
Also for at least the first term of his government he had very strong iron ore royalties.
As a liberal voter I see his legacy as the sh*t show the liberal party is now.
I did say I didn't like him. Liberal voter sure.

Everyone should be a swinging voter, the only constant in your own political life should be your open mindedness towards refining and growing your values.

Otherwise we end up with a situation in which the politician will use the voter's own projection of virtue into appearing to not be the social climbing and self serving scum almost every single one is.

3.5 billions spent on tanks and armored vehicles.
We don't need water bombers or health supplies . Instead we are rejigging to fight WW11 again. :p
I’d agree with you that the money spent on defence infrastructure in Australia is absolutely insane. However, it appears to be a bipartisan policy of both labour and liberals. It seems when you need a boost in the polls in Aussie politics, some tough talk on borders and defence is the safest bet in the playbook, which is a rather depressing reflection on the general public.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back