Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
If anyone one has been in a nursing home to visit an elderly relative and seen the high care dementia/ alzheimer patents, Covid outbreak would be a blessing.
While I'm an advocate for people deciding if they live or die, wishing death upon people is revolting.

While I'm an advocate for people deciding if they live or die, wishing death upon people is revolting.
As someone who has seen dementia take a loved one very up close and personally, those people in the nursing homes are already dead shells and the brief moments of clarity for them serve as painful reminders of how much they have lost to themselves.

I take zero offense to someone suggesting it would be a mercy for those people for their bodies to slip quietly into the night since their minds and their very essence left quite some time ago.

Spitty_the_alpaca

Club Legend
Jul 7, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't get pissy with me. I watch my father inlaw, a very proud old ww2 vet lying in bed with a nappy on, not knowing any of his family for 2 years. He always said if he gets like that, to put him outta of his misery but all we could do was watch and weep.

Spitty_the_alpaca

Club Legend
Jul 7, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pneumonia finished him off in the end but 2 years of misery and heart break for his 5 kids. I told my kids if I cant wipe my own arse it's time to go.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unfortunately people dying of dementia don't have the right to decide if they live or die, in respect to the fact they're excluded from euthanasia. It's one of the cruelties of the VAD laws.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Not one of you recognise my first line. If assisted euthanasia is something that the person wants or wanted, it should 100% their choice to take part in what ends their life.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not one of you recognise my first line. If assisted euthanasia is something that the person wants or wanted, it should 100% their choice to take part in what ends their life.
You're missing the point. To access euthanasia you need to be in the last 12 months of life and have the mental capacity to consent. That doesn't apply to people dying of dementia, they're excluded from accessing euthanasia

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
You're missing the point. To access euthanasia you need to be in the last 12 months of life and have the mental capacity to consent. That doesn't apply to people dying of dementia, they're excluded from accessing euthanasia
I'm not missing the point. I'm agreeing with you. Next of kin or similar should be allowed to make the decision. I guess I don't agree with the idea that government would condone the thought that 'these people are old, it doesn't matter if our policy kills them'. But ability to intervene by those I mentioned above I completely agree with you. Dimensia wards are terrible places and I've spent a bit of time in them through work. Wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy but more importantly the family.

Purplrrr

All Australian
Jun 15, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you don’t value the elderly and those with preexisting conditions, what is the economic value of their unpaid labour? I know many people who couldn’t work without the elderly doing daycare, school pick ups and the like. And the people that love them don’t want to expose them, because although they are in their seventies, they are active healthy and interesting people involved in their communities. What is the long term cost of long covid and many other possible health repercussions and how will this challenge our healthcare system? If our hospitals are full of covid patients, what happens when there are car accidents and heart attacks etc? I don’t want my uncle with only one lung to get it... he should stay out of contact with people? but he’s a health professional with clients that rely on him. It’s not just a matter of maths.

If you don’t value the elderly and those with preexisting conditions, what is the economic value of their unpaid labour? I know many people who couldn’t work without the elderly doing daycare, school pick ups and the like. And the people that love them don’t want to expose them, because although they are in their seventies, they are active healthy and interesting people involved in their communities. What is the long term cost of long covid and many other possible health repercussions and how will this challenge our healthcare system? If our hospitals are full of covid patients, what happens when there are car accidents and heart attacks etc? I don’t want my uncle with only one lung to get it... he should stay out of contact with people? but he’s a health professional with clients that rely on him. It’s not just a matter of maths.
You're right, everyone is unique and matters.

Unfortunately a line has to be drawn somewhere on everything otherwise we would have 40km/h limits everywhere, no drugs or alcohol allowed at all, smoking would be banned, sports would be banned, fat people would be arrested and sent to rehealth camps, no sugar foods or drinks, no cooking at home, no unprotected sex, no children without a license, no motorbikes, no working any dangerous jobs at all.

Everyone has to die of natural causes as old as possible and if that means a few thousand people who don't work in health care or other required occupations are driven to suicide through unemployment, losing their relationships and home then so be it, best to have two more years out of the people in nursing homes.

The chance of people dying is less than half of one percent and that's if they catch it at all, the USA has 9 out of 10 people who haven't caught it yet and we are nothing like that.

We don't need to lock down anymore. It's done. Isolated groups in isolation as required will be enough.

And people will still die.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not missing the point. I'm agreeing with you. Next of kin or similar should be allowed to make the decision. I guess I don't agree with the idea that government would condone the thought that 'these people are old, it doesn't matter if our policy kills them'. But ability to intervene by those I mentioned above I completely agree with you. Dimensia wards are terrible places and I've spent a bit of time in them through work. Wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy but more importantly the family.

Unfortunately as we have seen with many other things, the government doesn't make decisions or laws on the basis of logic, it's much more on the basis of expediency, emotion and politics. So if you are a family member of someone with dementia that gets pneumonia, you're allowed to say withhold treatment and let them die of the pneumonia. But if they can't speak, can't lift their head off a bed and are in nappies and fed pureed mush, you can't say as a family member euthanase them - that's apparently immoral and illegal

Square Peg

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
So reports emerging that McGowan has basically handed Chris Ellison a $200 million gift from the WA taxpayer because of his panicked and incompetent negotiation skills.
I'm sure that will mean jackshit to his apologists, but it's another example of the guy just pissing it up against the wall for his own political expediency

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Unfortunately as we have seen with many other things, the government doesn't make decisions or laws on the basis of logic, it's much more on the basis of expediency, emotion and politics. So if you are a family member of someone with dementia that gets pneumonia, you're allowed to say withhold treatment and let them die of the pneumonia. But if they can't speak, can't lift their head off a bed and are in nappies and fed pureed mush, you can't say as a family member euthanase them - that's apparently immoral and illegal
Our family has been lucky to have had some very caring doctors who dealt with my grandparents when they were in great pain. The doctors administered pain relief as necessary.

Troy Cooked It

Senior List
Jul 3, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
This facebook news ban is going to be looked at as a turning point for Australian future. Can absolutely go two ways at this point. I am literally ecstatic that news pages are stopped from rolling out 10 clickbait articles a day that just provoke reactions and clicks all because they quoted some randos tweet and took that as public outrage to report on.
It will stop the spread of misinformation* and one sided political bias from either side being paid for to appear on your feeds because of some 'algorithm'. BUT, and this is a Kardashian sized but we are talking about, if the void that is clickbait news is not filled with legitimate, verified, fact-checked news people will start pulling their information from even weirder sources, like their local facebook groups and friends of friends.

*It will stop the spread for about one day until 'news' will now be delivered by blue ticked, verified twitter accounts because they have (bought) thousands of followers just to feel needed and special and spread their own information.

Will completely change the political rat race prior to election days though, the printed news is now the primary source of information people will trust and Murdoch most certainly would have had a hand in making this happen, Liberals in the box seat with their control in the papers

This facebook news ban is going to be looked at as a turning point for Australian future. Can absolutely go two ways at this point. I am literally ecstatic that news pages are stopped from rolling out 10 clickbait articles a day that just provoke reactions and clicks all because they quoted some randos tweet and took that as public outrage to report on.
It will stop the spread of misinformation* and one sided political bias from either side being paid for to appear on your feeds because of some 'algorithm'. BUT, and this is a Kardashian sized but we are talking about, if the void that is clickbait news is not filled with legitimate, verified, fact-checked news people will start pulling their information from even weirder sources, like their local facebook groups and friends of friends.

*It will stop the spread for about one day until 'news' will now be delivered by blue ticked, verified twitter accounts because they have (bought) thousands of followers just to feel needed and special and spread their own information.

Will completely change the political rat race prior to election days though, the printed news is now the primary source of information people will trust and Murdoch most certainly would have had a hand in making this happen, Liberals in the box seat with their control in the papers

I really don't get why everyone are so upset about facebook stopping posting news?

Why the * should facebook be paying for people uploading articles onto their platform? As their MD said News Articles accounts for 4% of their posts. They are more than entitled to block I if they don't want to pay for it, its their company.

It would seem Journalists get far more out of people posting on platforms like Facebook in the way of exposure than actual revenue being generated for Facebook.

sorry for intrusion anyway.

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
No way, but if we identified that the elderly were going to be the only group really at risk then we should spend our money offering them a rotto holiday until it blows over, or they can choose to stay at home and live life as they please.

It would be a whole lot cheaper in both economic and social costs.

The issue for me really is that lockdown was only ever half assed and really served no purpose at all.

If you were serious about the lockdown they would shut down everything, including public transportation. Only closing certain businesses like restaurants and pubs served no purpose whatsoever and only caused more hardship.

That kind of lockdown did not work anywhere in the world. The reason WA remains Covid free is because the virus never made it here to begin with. All the lockdown has done is * people over.

Spitty_the_alpaca

Club Legend
Jul 7, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
You may as well go all the way and just link it

1613729417153.png

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
Meet Ross Patrick Kennedy. Just stay sober near him.

The unhinged on Twitter have no bounds.
IMG_20210220_210444.jpg

IMG_20210220_210658.jpg
IMG_20210220_210715.jpg
IMG_20210220_210642.jpg
IMG_20210220_210626.jpg
IMG_20210220_210642.jpg
IMG_20210220_210544.jpg
IMG_20210220_210520.jpg
IMG_20210220_210502.jpg
IMG_20210220_210424.jpg
IMG_20210220_210444.jpg

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great job by the govt getting the vaccinations going so soon. 👍
No real surprise as they are experts in sticking things in people - even without consent.

Seriously though, good news. Hopefully front line workers and the most vulnerable all get it asap. Have they released a schedule yet? Would be good to see some timelines around each phase.

Back