Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
In light of discussion around the correct place for political discussion, I thought I'd chance my arm and create a dedicated thread. That way, those of us who are interested can discuss freely and those who aren't can stay the * away :)

I respect the rights of all to their political views, no matter how extreme, and I respect the rights of others to argue those views. This is a discussion forum and has no influence on anything that happens in the real world, but it does allow us to vent.

For mine, I will go on record as saying I don't think we are doing enough to deal with the climate crisis, but it really comes down to what are we prepared to sacrifice? Are we prepared to sacrifice our cars, boats, air conditioning, overseas holidays and other non-essential items? Or do we expect "others" to make the sacrifices for us. If we are not prepared to make meaningful personal sacrifices, then we have no right to lecture others. Come at me ;)

Hopefully this is OK moderators, if not please feel free to delete it and everyone can just post their political views on all the other threads.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree. It’s easy to get on social media and join the chorus of outrage but wouldn’t it be more productive to look in your garbage bin and see what you could be diverting from landfill. Get to know your work colleagues and see if you can car pool or even better start catching public transport or riding a push bike to work. Sell your second car, your boat, your motor cycle. These fires may well be a result of the ‘big picture’ in Australia but that picture is made up of 20 million smaller stories about individuals and corporations’ habits and processes.
How many people know that Waste decomposing at landfill produces methane, a gas 25 times more destructive than carbon?
I’d implore everyone to have a look at their own small picture before jumping on social media and expecting the government to fix the big picture for us. Because when all the mining and resource companies get run out of town and we go into a devastating economic recession, I expect the same chorus of voices will cry poor at the governments failure to protect our standard of living. It’s the era we live in, the era of outrage and entitlement, and it is fundamentally at odds with the future of our planet.

Geoff

Premium Platinum
May 13, 2004
W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
No one is prepared to tackle the real issue that the world faces. It’s the catalyst for most of the problems the modern world faces.

POPULATION GROWTH

Over population lies at just about every challenge the world faces, curb population growth and you start to take control of what’s happening around us.

Wonder how “Scott the Evangelical” would market this topic?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
No one is prepared to tackle the real issue that the world faces. It’s the catalyst for most of the problems the modern world faces.

POPULATION GROWTH

Over population lies at just about every challenge the world faces, curb population growth and you start to take control of what’s happening around us.

Good luck. Population growth is central to economic growth which is the basis for government economics.

I wish I could be more caring about politics because I definitely feel like someone should have stopped the religious discrimination bill. That's the sort of **** I would normally mock the US for allowing.

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
There’s so much backlash against Scomo..on a global scale. Australia isn’t as tough as you think, we liked to be liked on a global scale. Right now our government is not. Scomo popularity took a dive.

Either libs cave and do more for climate change or when USA elects Biden or Sanders they’ll put extreme pressure on Australia to change.

He’s lost the regional vote. Surely they aren’t dumb enough to vote national with the preference deals.

All in all I’m fairly sure Change is just around the corner,

Witch1

Team Captain
Sep 4, 2016
MCG
AFL Club
Fremantle

POPULATION GROWTH

I think population distribution is the problem. Far too many people in capital cities - Sydney and Melbourne are out of control - yet you can drive for hundreds of k's in beautiful country WA and hardly see a soul.

There’s so much backlash against Scomo..on a global scale. Australia isn’t as tough as you think, we liked to be liked on a global scale. Right now our government is not. Scomo popularity took a dive.

Either libs cave and do more for climate change or when USA elects Biden or Sanders they’ll put extreme pressure on Australia to change.

He’s lost the regional vote. Surely they aren’t dumb enough to vote national with the preference deals.

I’ll put a disclaimer and say I consider myself to be very central with my political beliefs, there are policies on both sides I agree and disagree with heavily (voting time is difficult)

I hate to say it but I think you shouldn’t get your hopes on either Trump getting the boot (as much as I hope that dumpster fire of a human being gets everything he deserves) or Libs making environmental changes. I fee Australia is still a while (at least 10 years) from making real progressive changes. We are always last to the party and as much noise as the young lefties make, the fact of the matter is we are a conservative nation politically and take a long time to do anything.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

POPULATION GROWTH

I’m not sure population growth is a huge problem in Australia. Reproduction rates are actually going backwards and immigration is hardly out of control despite what the Aussie flag waving bogans like to tell us.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle

And therein lies the core of our political system - if a government doesn't execute the (real) will of the people then they get booted out. Unfortunately I have little faith that the opposition will make any real change when they get in either, but at worst it will send a strong message that we want change and hopefully in time that is beneficial.

This is why it is better to live in Australia than 95% of countries around the globe - sometimes we just don't realise how good we have it here.

Talking to many of the younger generation, they think these natural disasters are a new phenomenon, caused solely by global warming - and this is the view being pushed relentlessly by the media. It is sobering to reflect back on the words of Dorothea Mackeller from over 100 years ago.

1578368851780.png

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m not sure population growth is a huge problem in Australia. Reproduction rates are actually going backwards and immigration is hardly out of control despite what the Aussie flag waving bogans like to tell us.
Global population is rising at around 1.2% p.a. (Australia 1.6%). At that rate, we are adding almost a billion souls every decade - I wonder at what point people start DEMANDING action on population growth as they are with climate change? This would be a much harder message to sell as it is entirely within the control of you and I, the mum's and dads of the world. Which of us is prepared to sacrifice the joys of parenthood, knowing that we are contributing to this impending catastrophe?

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Isnt there another forum you can take this to ?
Some people see football as an escape from the s**t of modern day politics.
Are you incapable of not clicking on this thread? A new thread has been created so it doesn’t derail any others...

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
And therein lies the core of our political system - if a government doesn't execute the (real) will of the people then they get booted out. Unfortunately I have little faith that the opposition will make any real change when they get in either, but at worst it will send a strong message that we want change and hopefully in time that is beneficial.

The only problem being that I remember the few weeks where Labor were calling the 2019 election the "climate change election," and going on about how great their 50% by 2030 policy was compared to the Liberals 26% (or whatever it is.) Then they dropped the issue cause it was killing them, and lost an election most people thought they had no chance of losing. The Australian public (or at least a larger segment of it) wanted the current policies over what Labor offered, and ScoMo leading the country over Shorten.

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
Btw I’m not a Greeny.

I’m just a bit left of center.
I’ll put a disclaimer and say I consider myself to be very central with my political beliefs, there are policies on both sides I agree and disagree with heavily (voting time is difficult)

I hate to say it but I think you shouldn’t get your hopes on either Trump getting the boot (as much as I hope that dumpster fire of a human being gets everything he deserves) or Libs making environmental changes. I fee Australia is still a while (at least 10 years) from making real progressive changes. We are always last to the party and as much noise as the young lefties make, the fact of the matter is we are a conservative nation politically and take a long time to do anything.

I agree with you about 85%.

We are an extremely scared country. We don’t do Change well.

I’d rather take money out of foreign aid/these wars we jump into with USA and put it into climate change. Help our environment which helps this Planet.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest

Was ScoMo ever popular ?, just a majority of voters were scared of what the other team's leader offered.

Happy Clappers, what are they good for ?.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Was ScoMo ever popular ?

Maybe not popular but looking at Newspoll only at one point was a Labor leader preferred over Scott Morrison: the first "better PM poll" with ScoMo on August 26 2018.

Net satisfaction hasn't been as great though. It dipped back into the negatives in late November, and wasn't great before the election either. Although Turnbull was doing far worse then ScoMo did.

just a majority of voters were scared of what the other team's leader offered.

Who cares? It's a choice between two people and parties: it's perfectly fine to say "I dislike this guy less," or "I dislike this parties politics less."

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle

POPULATION GROWTH

I for one, agree this is the real problem, the source of all other problems. Over populating the planet and losing our sustainability. Just compare the populations to available clean air therein. Every day I am thankful that our burning bush is not densely populated.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Global population is rising at around 1.2% p.a. (Australia 1.6%). At that rate, we are adding almost a billion souls every decade - I wonder at what point people start DEMANDING action on population growth as they are with climate change? This would be a much harder message to sell as it is entirely within the control of you and I, the mum's and dads of the world. Which of us is prepared to sacrifice the joys of parenthood, knowing that we are contributing to this impending catastrophe?

Most Australians would have to change little as we already practise a replacement population growth. No one, even in densely populated countries would have to forgo parenthood but just keep it to 1-3. Just not 4-7 plus. That's where the problems are.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe not popular but looking at Newspoll only at one point was a Labor leader preferred over Scott Morrison: the first "better PM poll" with ScoMo on August 26 2018.

Net satisfaction hasn't been as great though. It dipped back into the negatives in late November, and wasn't great before the election either. Although Turnbull was doing far worse then ScoMo did.

Who cares? It's a choice between two people and parties: it's perfectly fine to say "I dislike this guy less," or "I dislike this parties politics less."
It's not as if we voted Morrison in for his charisma, his leading ways. Nah we voted against the direction the other partys' policies were taking us. It's a shame Morrison wasn't the man for the moment, but leaders and heroes are out everywhere amongst the real people, Australian values.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
That line

Core of my heart. My country.

It gets me every time. To have that depth of connection to the land which dear Dorothy did and which the aboriginals do, is a spiritual thing. I'd like to see the land that is burnt out by the bushfires become a sacred site, to be held by Australians until all the things can return.

Witch1

Team Captain
Sep 4, 2016
MCG
AFL Club
Fremantle
I for one, agree this is the real problem, the source of all other problems. Over populating the planet and losing our sustainability. Just compare the populations to available clean air therein. Every day I am thankful that our burning bush is not densely populated.
Yeah, but it IS densely populated by native animals which perish in their millions - many species at risk of extinction.

Unfortunately feral pests destroying everything in their path, like foxes, camels, rabbits, wild pigs, cats, buffalo, deer, cane toads seem to survive ok.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, but it IS densely populated by native animals which perish in their millions - many species at risk of extinction.

Unfortunately feral pests destroying everything in their path, like foxes, camels, rabbits, wild pigs, cats, buffalo, deer, cane toads seem to survive ok.

Yeah I wasn't forgetting the animal life. I'm hoping a lot of commonsense comes to the fore after this is over and Proper programmes are put in place by proper people with some knowhow.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

This is why it is better to live in Australia than 95% of countries around the globe - sometimes we just don't realise how good we have it here.

Talking to many of the younger generation, they think these natural disasters are a new phenomenon, caused solely by global warming - and this is the view being pushed relentlessly by the media. It is sobering to reflect back on the words of Dorothea Mackeller from over 100 years ago.

View attachment 802863

Yep, we've always had extreme conditions and that's why we are more likely to get smashed first and harder than other nations when climate change comes knocking. Dorothy's poetry doesn't change that. That's #science.

It does make the lack of leadership in this country on renewable energy even more stupid.

Back