Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Remove this Banner Ad

What people don't get is sometimes you get the odd politician that doesn't play politics and actually wants to do the right thing.

JFK did that exact thing and got shot for it.

What I said shouldn't be taken as anti-McGowan at all. I'm very happy with how this has worked out for WA.

I think one of the only purposes of government is to protect it's people and it's doing that.

What I said was that there is no way McGowan comes out of this court case anything but a winner. He should put forward an agenda for the next ten years and take it to an election as soon as feasible, the ALP will win in a landslide.

Ok, I just laugh at the libs who are giving him a hard time about it.. rewind to the abbot years 're borders

Re Clive Palmer's High Court case that WA's hard border closure is unconstitutional. Just so he can attend some meetings at mines or hang out with his inner circle Boys Club in WA o_O

Surely it's also unconstitutional to knowingly put West Australian lives at risk? If COVID breaks out here again like Victoria, people will die....

In law you can't just make a statement like "opening the border puts lives at risk" and expect it to be accepted.

The purpose of the court case will be to actually decide if that is true.

On the face of it, the infection rate in Qld is no higher than that in WA, so I find it difficult to believe that opening the border between Qld and WA puts any lives at risk.

To me there's no evidence that closing a state border does anything at all. SA has had the least cases in the country, I don't see how keeping them out of WA helps anyone.

It's about as effective as shutting down the bridges over the swan and making people stay on their side.

But it seems to play well with the public, McGowan is apparently the new Jesus because he kept some Australians out of our half of Australia.

Last edited:
Except Qld is not Victoria and many of the states we are closing our borders to have similar or lower rates of infection than WA does.

You can't trust any state with bozos like above.

Queensland is closing their borders to NSW. Why would we start to loosen them.. cause of some fat rich prick. What the.

Queensland is closing their borders to NSW. Why would we start to loosen them.. cause of some fat rich prick. What the.

Because it's unconstitutional and achieves nothing. And it's keeping people out of work despite the fact it achieves nothing.

The real question is why so many numpties in WA think it's so effective when WA's record is no better than any of the other states (except Victoria).

Because it's unconstitutional and achieves nothing. And it's keeping people out of work despite the fact it achieves nothing.

The real question is why so many numpties in WA think it's so effective when WA's record is no better than any of the other states (except Victoria).
Haven't met one Western Australian that wants the borders to open. Where are you based?

Who is it keeping out of work by the way? Mining is in full boom and logistics/transportation has an exemption to cross the border. Tourism? Is it the border that is stopping the work or the social distancing measures that every state is mean to be doing?

Have you got skin in the game? How is the border closure hurting your hip pocket? Honestly find it only seems to be selfish people that want it to open.

Haven't met one Western Australian that wants the borders to open. Where are you based?

Who is it keeping out of work by the way? Mining is in full boom and logistics/transportation has an exemption to cross the border. Tourism? Is it the border that is stopping the work or the social distancing measures that every state is mean to be doing?

Have you got skin in the game? How is the border closure hurting your hip pocket? Honestly find it only seems to be selfish people that want it to open.

Most who want it open are the anti covid anti vax loonies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all have skin in the game. The border closure helps nobody and hurts everybody. It's just a bad policy.

We all have skin in the game. The border closure helps nobody and hurts everybody. It's just a bad policy.

Here's a question that I asked myself and reflected upon

What are the benefits of an open border compared to closed?

Both have negative consequences. I feel the state government are doing the right thing at the moment.

During a pandemic...I'd rather them stay closed. See Victorian why.
Which is fine but has nothing to do with what you were laughing about.

I don’t have a very strong opinion on open state boarders vs closed.

what was funny was you laughing at libs who want tough borders etc but then want state borders open. The funniest part about that is that state borders and national borders are a completely different argument and to conflate the two is in fact laughable. Make sense?

There are quite a few industries that it is keeping from work. I can’t send some of my teams to work interstate because we can’t (clients can’t) afford to pay them to quarantine when they return while they aren’t working. Just the last two months have cost one small business I’m involved in approx $750k in revenue. If it continues for more than another five weeks the business will no longer exist and approx 24 families will have dropped a full time source of income.

There are quite a few businesses that sell professional services (training / consulting) that have been crippled as well.

Thought bubble of the day is it?

WA's record than other states as at 30/july - Active cases.
Vic. 5385
Nsw 203
Qld 11
WA 6
SA 4 and the other places 1 each. NSW's border was open to the Mexicans (I'm one of those "South of the border") but the borders were closed in SA, QLD and Tas to us plague carrying victorians - there is a huge difference between states with closed borders and NSW.

As for work. I'm stuck in extended lockdown, everything is shutting down again and stricter than before - so only work at home or essential services, in WA you can work on a building site, cafe - work as an usher at Optus oval for the footy.
So keep the damned border closed, eradicate covid if you can, minimise it if you can't and you can keep the place open for more jobs than here in Vic.

Which is fine but has nothing to do with what you were laughing about.

I don’t have a very strong opinion on open state boarders vs closed.

what was funny was you laughing at libs who want tough borders etc but then want state borders open. The funniest part about that is that state borders and national borders are a completely different argument and to conflate the two is in fact laughable. Make sense?

But, when there's a pandemic.........it changes.

Yes state and national borders are different. Duh!! But when you see the lifestyle of those in Vic to WA, the restrictions etc...we don't want to go down that again.

I'm treating those states as foreign countries atm and I'm not alone. Keep the borders up.

Here's a question that I asked myself and reflected upon

What are the benefits of an open border compared to closed?

Both have negative consequences. I feel the state government are doing the right thing at the moment.

What are the negative consequences of opening the state border to states that have similar or lower covid 19 infection rates than WA?

Nobody has even attempted to answer that question.

There's zero evidence that the border closure does anything since we are closing the border to people who don't have the virus.

It is essentially no different than saying that people south of the river can't cross north of the river. Because reasons.

But, when there's a pandemic.........it changes.

Actually no, the concept of a state border being an arbitrary and meaningless divide between 2 areas of the same country does not change.

One of the more hilarious stories of the lockdown was my mate's dad who lives in Wodonga being forced to fish from the Northern bank of the river because fishing was banned in Vic during the lockdown...but not in NSW.

And that policy did as much to stop Covid as most of the other *ed policies that have been in place during this fiasco.

Last edited:
What are the negative consequences of opening the state border to states that have similar or lower covid 19 infection rates than WA?

There's zero evidence that the border closure does anything since we are closing the border to people who don't have the virus.

It is essentially no different than saying that people south of the river can't cross north of the river. Because reasons.

It's the added risk attached to it

I think you'll find a spike in qld coming soon. Hence why they've tightened up again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back