Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Remove this Banner Ad

The point is its got nothing to do with him. His uncle hasn't been elected.
If that was a consistent standard I'd be fine with it.

But given we already see the political beliefs or actions of a politicians spouse or family members dragged into the limelight and ask for an explanation from the politician why shouldn't it be noteworthy that the new Democrat House Speaker has an uncle who is a virulent anti-semite and black supremacist?

Lots of Twitter users melting down.

Seeing them I don't have to scratch too far below the surface to come to the conclusion that many of them suffer from the problem of spending too much time on social media and not enough time outside.

I've found Twitter to be the most useful social network, but it's a net good for society if Elon Musk actually kills it off (intentionally or unintentionally.)
In his statement, Musk warned that the alternative to a “town square” was a society divided into “far right-wing and far left-wing echo chambers that generate more hate and divide our society”. In fact this has things precisely backwards. The idea that society needs a town square is a fallacy of recent invention. It is not necessary that citizens debate with one another on digital networks of vast scale. Successful democracies require voters to live in relative ignorance of one another.

The idea that “echo chambers” represent the chief danger posed by social media to politics does not bear scrutiny. As Ian Leslie points out in his book Conflicted, the most reliable studies indicate that “social media users have more diverse news diets than non-users” and get their news from “twice as many places”. The problem is not too little exposure to different views but too much.

Social media offers conservatives infinite opportunities to become infuriated by the eccentricities of poly-gendered humanities PhD students with whom they would never otherwise come into contact. To liberals it provides platoons of racist and misogynistic trolls who (though unrepresentative of the population at large) confirm all their worst suspicions about Britain.

If that was a consistent standard I'd be fine with it.

But given we already see the political beliefs or actions of a politicians spouse or family members dragged into the limelight and ask for an explanation from the politician why shouldn't it be noteworthy that the new Democrat House Speaker has an uncle who is a virulent anti-semite and black supremacist?
It's about choice. You choose a spouse, you don't choose your uncle. What you're dragging up is ridiculous. But while you're on your high horse, have a look around at Republicans who choose to be associated with white supremacists. The list is enormous. But strangely you've never mentioned this before.

It's about choice. You choose a spouse, you don't choose your uncle. What you're dragging up is ridiculous. But while you're on your high horse, have a look around at Republicans who choose to be associated with white supremacists. The list is enormous. But strangely you've never mentioned this before.
Pretty sure the media take care of Republican associations well enough. The Democrats spend fortunes digging up dirt for people to chow down on and are not shy about publishing it, as has already been mentioned.

Of course, if it comes to associations with BLM, a movement which has caused billions of US$ in property damage over the last few years (and a fair few casualties) as a result of civil unrest and social division, then association is not only unremarkable, its laudable. If mentioned at all. There is a definite imbalance in perception and reporting.

It's all about the headlines. People don't pay too much attention to details.

You choose a spouse, you don't choose your uncle
Can politicians choose their father?

If a politician can be condemned for their father being a creationist surely another can be condemned for his uncle being a black supremacist and anti-Semite?

If a politician can be condemned for their father being a creationist surely another can be condemned for his uncle being a black supremacist and anti-Semite?
Neither are appropriate

No you can't choose your father. And if your father has done something that you disagree with and you say so then people should take that on face value. No, a politician shouldn't be condemned because of their father's beliefs. If you agree, why are you doing it?Reading that article, no one is condemning the politician for his father's views, the journalists are asking if he agrees with them.

It should be irrelevent, it's only brought up because journalists are inherently lazy and would rather the drama of "politician agrees with wrong thinking family member" or "politician refuses to condemn wrong thinking family member" over asking a question about policy.

Journalists want gotchya articles, refuses to condemn are the best ones for partisan journalists because it's no article if they do and you are changing the conversation into an area you feel your side has better foundations in. It's why journalists will find the most extreme position on something like industrial relations and then ask questions about that to the other side in drive by interviews - giving their team the courtesy of a phone call later for a measured answer.

No you can't choose your father. And if your father has done something that you disagree with and you say so then people should take that on face value. No, a politician shouldn't be condemned because of their father's beliefs. If you agree, why are you doing it? Reading that article, no one is condemning the politician for his father's views, the journalists are asking if he agrees with them.
Yeah, they kind of are doing the above, subtly. Why then are journalists even asking? If not as a gotcha or to influence public opinion of the interviewee in a negative way? Nobody should have to apologise for or denounce someone else for their views. Or publicly dissociate from certain views. (What's wrong with being a creationist anyway, hurts no one.)

There's a puritanical censoriousness in the media these days, that's quite ugly. And seemingly pointing in one way.

No you can't choose your father. And if your father has done something that you disagree with and you say so then people should take that on face value. No, a politician shouldn't be condemned because of their father's beliefs. If you agree, why are you doing it?Reading that article, no one is condemning the politician for his father's views, the journalists are asking if he agrees with them.
What do you think the purpose of that line of questioning is?

Im
What do you think the purpose of that line of questioning is?
Not talking about the question. I'm responding to the posts about how a politician is somehow linked to a speech his uncle made 30 years ago. Which we hopefully have consensus that it isn't the right thing to do, if the individual distances themselves from their relative, we must except that. If the individual doesn't choose to distance themselves, we'll then comparisons are fair game.

Im
Not talking about the question. I'm responding to the posts about how a politician is somehow linked to a speech his uncle made 30 years ago. Which we hopefully have consensus that it isn't the right thing to do, if the individual distances themselves from their relative, we must except that. If the individual doesn't choose to distance themselves, we'll then comparisons are fair game.
You are aware that in order to determine a politicians beliefs, they'd need to be subjected to that type of questioning in the first place?
That in order to "distance themselves" they'd have to address the issue raised?

And if, as in that example, they'd prefer not to elaborate on their personal beliefs when discussing policy, then associations are "fair game"?

Fact is, if you assert that comparisons are fair game unless openly denied by a politician, then you are condoning that line of investigation and questioning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are aware that in order to determine a politicians beliefs, they'd need to be subjected to that type of questioning in the first place?
That in order to "distance themselves" they'd have to address the issue raised?

And if, as in that example, they'd prefer not to elaborate on their personal beliefs when discussing policy, then associations are "fair game"?

Fact is, if you assert that comparisons are fair game unless openly denied by a politician, then you are condoning that line of investigation and questioning.
Again, I'm responding to the post by Purple_Turtle which contained a tweet linking Haseem to his uncle which I believe was attempting to imply that Haseem is somehow similar to his uncle. It seems that Purple_Turtle should probably have done some reading before posting such a ridiculous tweet.

Labor in Victoria has swings against, but they went further left. Same as the federal election.
The Neo Liberalism of Abbott, Kennett (small government- big business) is just no longer resonating with the bulk of the electorate. People are wanting government to guide them out of and show leadership in policy such as COVID/Environmental issues.
The NSW election in March will be fascinating. I think the Liberal party there has done a pretty good job.
But this is another election where the conservative right has failed. The Liberal party.must adopt progressive policy, especially in Environmental issues or they will continue to struggle IMO.

Labor in Victoria has swings against, but they went further left. Same as the federal election.
The Neo Liberalism of Abbott, Kennett (small government- big business) is just no longer resonating with the bulk of the electorate. People are wanting government to guide them out of and show leadership in policy such as COVID/Environmental issues.
The NSW election in March will be fascinating. I think the Liberal party there has done a pretty good job.
But this is another election where the conservative right has failed. The Liberal party.must adopt progressive policy, especially in Environmental issues or they will continue to struggle IMO.

The liberal national party in NSW have been caught up in so much corruption that it isn't looking good for them. Both Gladys and Dan had to stand down and are up to their neck in court proceedings.

On this current day set aside to appreciate and celebrate what Australia is I'm thankful for my partner, my children and the safe home this nation has given to us. As I stand on it now, walking into this world long after the horrors this day represents to many I am hopeful that the future remains as bright as the present is, since we are currently living in the best nation at the best time leading to the greatest opportunity for human kind in all of human history. Never have we had it so good.

I hope more people get to share in it. An immigrant family, an Indigenous family. Truly an Austalian family.

Love to you all. Xx

Two challenges have collided for Albanese — and what happens next is an early test

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese did the right thing in dashing off to Alice Springs this week in response to the publicity about that city's crime crisis. But in doing so, he set up a test for himself.

That test will be early, and tough. The first round will come next week, when Albanese and Northern Territory Chief Minister Natasha Fyles receive a report on whether alcohol bans should be reimposed on Indigenous communities.

It's clear the PM believes they should be. He has canvassed an "opt-out" system to replace the present arrangement, under which communities have to opt in to stay dry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back