POLL ADDED: Are Hardwick & Cotchin the right leadership combination for Richmond

Who is Richmond's best captain?

• Trent Cotchin

Votes: 32 19.8%
  • Jack Riewoldt

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Nick Vlastuin

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Brett Deledio

Votes: 33 20.4%
  • Dustin Martin

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Alex Rance

Votes: 33 20.4%
  • Brandon Ellis

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Tyrone Vickery

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Troy Chaplin

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Shane Edwards

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Ivan Maric

Votes: 6 3.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Richmond is my second team, so I'll put that on the cards. We all have mates who go for them, we all feel their anguish (and they feel mine).

After watching the AFL captain's special last year and, like many, feeling thoroughly underwhelmed by Trent Cotchin, I found myself tonight, after watching the round table, feeling equally ambivalent about Damian Hardwick. I fear the leadership in the club isn't what it could be. Do Richmond need "better" leaders or are they a victim of their own supporter base size?

This is not a bash Richmond campaign, it's just a discussion about whether the men who are charged with their on field success, are the right people.

Some players aren't meant to lead. I think Cotchin is one of those players. He is a decent second fiddle (wing man), but isn't the type of guy that leads blokes into battle. Sadly for Richmond though, in regards to leadership, I am not sure they have many other options.

Richmond is my second team, so I'll put that on the cards. We all have mates who go for them, we all feel their anguish (and they feel mine).

After watching the AFL captain's special last year and, like many, feeling thoroughly underwhelmed by Trent Cotchin, I found myself tonight, after watching the round table, feeling equally ambivalent about Damian Hardwick. I fear the leadership in the club isn't what it could be. Do Richmond need "better" leaders or are they a victim of their own supporter base size?

This is not a bash Richmond campaign
, it's just a discussion about whether the men who are charged with their on field success, are the right people.
Just wondering why you didn't put your own club as the thread and it's going to turn into one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dimma often gets criticised for being too nice with the players, which is wrong IMO. He has some serious campaigner in him. You sometimes see it start to boil over in the box. He can give a bloody good spray.
Same criticism was levelled at Brad Scott, which was fair in a way, and after his back surgery, he came back a complete campaigner in a good way. I see Dimma in the same way, in that his media persona is classy and nice, but in private, he's a good campaigner that supports his players. I believe it's some of his on field tactics on gameday that need work, rather than player management.

Same criticism was levelled at Brad Scott, which was fair in a way, and after his back surgery, he came back a complete campaigner in a good way. I see Dimma in the same way, in that his media persona is classy and nice, but in private, he's a good campaigner that supports his players. I believe it's some of his on field tactics on gameday that need work, rather than player management.
I'm not a Brad Scott fan but his record the last 2 years has been good.

I don't think you need your captain to be burley and tough.
Our skipper Bob Murphy is the opposite of that I would think.
But from what I see from Murphy, is that he's a strong communicator and helps sure up defensive structures. Leading by example and/or being a strong communicator are the primary aspects of being a strong leader in the afl.

But from what I see from Murphy, is that he's a strong communicator and helps sure up defensive structures. Leading by example and/or being a strong communicator are the primary aspects of being a strong leader in the afl.
Absolutely, but you would have to imagine Richmond's playing group would think that Cotchin would be too?
Surely they wouldn't be that stupid to declare him captain year after year if they don't want him in that role ?

Nothing wrong with Dimma but who would you name captain if Cotchin vacated the role? The team as a whole seems to lack leaders. Riewoldt and Martin are loose cannons and as much as I like Deledio as a player, he's much in the same mold as Cotchin.
I would've targeted an on field leader that fits in the 22 over the trade period if I was Richmond. Even if they had to give up a bit, they would've reaped the benefit in the tough games that slip away from them.

Absolutely, but you would have to imagine Richmond's playing group would think that Cotchin would be too?
Surely they wouldn't be that stupid to declare him captain year after year if they don't want him in that role ?
Probably a reliance on his on field skills being the sole inspiration for the rest of the team to follow him, rather than the tough (inspirational) acts and words that are actually required. It's hard being tough on your mates and teammates at times, but it is needed sometimes to lift them.

Do people realise that captains are voted from the playing group?
The media and people outside the club have no bearing on who is captain.
Cotchin was voted to be captain by the players and coaches.
That means more that what anyone outside the club thinkgs TBH. Even Tigers supporters.

Just because he has had 3 s**t finals doesnt mean he is a s**t captain.
All Richmonds leaders execept Jack has had shockers in those games.
There is a case to make Jack captain but he is clearly already a leader.
Just because he isnt in the official leadership group that really means "jack s**t"
latest

This is not a bash Richmond campaign, it's just a discussion about whether the men who are charged with their on field success, are the right people.
In short. No. Neither of them.

Back