POLL: An updated poll of GC names

elbusto

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2008
Hobart
OK, lets see what people think about the later suggestions up against the marlins and stingrays, getting rid of such dross as rays, guards and ironmen
yes lets do that - this is so exciting I spilt my porridge - the excitement is insane (but not inane):eek::eek:

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
If the Townsville Suns had to change their name how come the footy team won't?

It was a very different team that took the court in the 1998/99 season. The team had been involved in a dispute with the NBA's Phoenix Suns, who held the "Suns" trademark in Australia. Faced with the prospect of paying Phoenix royalties on merchandise sales, the team changed its name to the Townsville Crocodiles

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
If the Townsville Suns had to change their name how come the footy team won't?

Possibly because they're not a basketball team - trademarks can be a wonderfully grey area of law.

(And if anyone thinks it should be ignored, just take a look at how much merchandise the Fremantle Football Club has with the word 'Dockers' on it...)

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
Possibly because they're not a basketball team - trademarks can be a wonderfully grey area of law.

(And if anyone thinks it should be ignored, just take a look at how much merchandise the Fremantle Football Club has with the word 'Dockers' on it...)

Fair point, and I suppose no basketball team was going to take on the NBA - much easier to just roll over and change everything. Who knows, they might not even own the rights now anyway.

Dandy_GO

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 25, 2005
Yunnan, China
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Sunderland
Gold Coast Generals maybe?

Alliteration is good, very vague links to the gold coast as 2 of Australia's 3 largest military barracks are in Queensland (although none are anywhere near GC). Probably too American though...
Shame though, as it could potentially facilitate a half decent dark green strip (definitely no camo involved though), although the Australian army general badge is a very complex design. If it were like the 4 silver stars American generals wear, it'd be very easy to effectively incorporate into a jumper and logo design.

Also, probably would make people think of the Washington Generals, which isn't exactly the best sporting team to be associated with.

I dunno, just a thought. None of the names so far have really blown my mind...

MC_Bomba

All Australian
Suspended
Nov 17, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How is the name Sharks not even rating a mention.

Its the perfect name - beach etc, even Dolphins would be a super dooper name.

Names like Marlins, Suns are for gimps.

jimmy_clement#8

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2003
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Colorado, Cardiff City
Ergh, sheesh, Sharks, cross it off, its not an option, it'd be ideal, but it's not able to be considered, so there's no point in keeping on bringing it up. Forget Sharks.

sm007

Debutant
Jul 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Please god not the Merlins. Sounds stupid. Gold Coast Hammerheads is the best in that list. The abreviation is "hammers", which all clubs have and need. A real pity the Sharks are taken, would've slotted in as the obvious name.

Back