Prediction Poll: Delistings Next Year (2019)

Who will be delisted next year (2019)?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
All in all a pretty solid set of delistings this year, a bunch of guys who weren't quite going to make it, for whatever reason. A shame they didn't make it and we had to let them go, but the list looks tidier.

So let's have a go at predicting what will happen next year at the same time. Obviously guess work, and if you find it distasteful to be writing obituaries so early then please feel free to not participate.

Usually 4-8 delistings, so I've allowed up to 8 votes. I've only included guys who I think are some vague chance of going. Delistings/retirements only, not trades.

Do we really need a thread where posters (who are still sore after a disappointing season) get to vent their spleens at our playing list and their imagined individual failings before they even get to play a match in 2019?

I think this is a bad thread and I am very tempted to delete it.

Do we really need a thread where posters (who are still sore after a disappointing season) get to vent their spleens at our playing list and their imagined individual failings before they even get to play a match in 2019?

I think this is a bad thread and I am very tempted to delete it.

I'd say if posters are still sore after a disappointing season then an important function of an internet forum is that they can vent their spleen with no effect on the real world.

And when you say "imagined individual failings", that's not really true because we've seen most of these guys play many times.

Basically this is list management. Lethers and The Banker would be having this discussion internally because planning for the future is important. I don't really see a reason we can't have the same discussion.

I guess you run the place, delete the thread if you see fit. But I'd vote for leaving it up and policing the individual posts. There's no fundamental reason this can't be a rational discussion.

I think it's a perfectly reasonable thread.

Barring a miraculous turnaround in form and fitness you'd think Armo will wrap it up at the end of the season. And unless Brown has a good year and we start looking like we're going to make the finals in 2020 then surely he'll be done as well.

After that it gets interesting. Newnes, Dunstan and Savage aren't delist-quality but they aren't players I want to keep around much longer either. Personally I think we should have accepted a minor pick upgrade for Lonie and let him go elsewhere, but now we've got him for two more years.

Joyce is up against it - he'll be given another year to develop but I'm not sure that there's a lot to work with there. Pierce will have opportunities to earn another contract but he's far from a certainty as well. Rice and White are both under the pump as they are clearly down the pecking order and have been around for a while now. Longer is probably safe unless he comes back unfit again and seems disinterested throughout the season. Bogtown Lunghands offers plenty off field but who knows if he can play footy.

I'll keep my powder dry until after the season if it's all the same. I see no positives in calling for heads prior to our campaign even starting.
I appreciate the thinking behind the post but won't be voting in this case.
ditto ... the guys havent even gotten back into training and we are to discuss who is to be delisted ... pretty poor form honestly ... by all means we could discuss who will be likely retirments but much much too early to talk of delistings ....
** heck the final list lodgment hasnt passed so we may still have one this year **

For starters, delisting even the worst players does not make our list stronger, it only provides space for potential improvement.
Starting at the longest on the List.

David Armitage recruited 2006. 167 games. 2018 was a shadow of his 2015. If he's not up to it he needs to say his goodbye's. I don't know i'm not his doctor.

Newnes. Recruited in 2011. 135 Games. Played each year but had a bad 2018. He'd have to at least have another bad year.

Roberton. Free agent 2012. He's a good player, so it depends on what the doctor says. We have no idea.
Pierce. Recruited in 2012. 4 Games. Improved at VFL level in 2018 and in his Career has had 1 good AFL game. We need more from the 24YO.

Savage , Steak knives 2013. He can play ok , i'd think a trade rather than delisting.
Longer traded in, 2013. I assume we need a ruck and he's better than Joel Tippet (9 year career ). His best is better than we've seen from Pierce so far.
Dunstan recruited 2013. 85 Games. He's too good to Delist but is very slow to improve on his early work, good enough to trade if its decided that he's surplus.
Acres recruited 2013. 56 Games. Is he part of the best 22 yet? Some time in the next couple of years he needs to play a full season.

Paddy recruited 2014. 35 Games. We all know his story. Unless something goes really south, he'll be retained at year end.
McKenzie recruited 2014. 34 Games. Was a revelation in 2018, but does he get enough of the ball. Sure as hell can't afford to slide backwards.
Jack Lonie recruited 2014 50 Games. Improved a lot in 2018, similarly to McKenzie he needs to stay at least at that level.
Jack Sinclair rookied 2014. 64 Games. Broke out as an outside mid in 2017 but didn't build on it much this season. Probably too good for simply de-listing.

Brandon White. recruited 2015. 10 Games. Seems to be slowly improving , and you sure wouldn't delist him now, but.... he needs to work hard in 2019.
Bailey Rice. recruited 2015. 11 Games. Had a good run this year and seemed to do OK. Needs to keep it up. Surely we won't keep all of Rice, White, and McKenzie.

Nathan Brown. recruited 2016 age 30. 37 games with the Saints he's a decent full back. Austin, Joyce, or Clavarino need to push him out.
Ben Long . Recruited 2016 14 games. He's had some good games in 2018, but could go either way.
Ed Phillips Recruited 2016 7 games. I was fairly impressed by the 20YO. I'd want to lose 5 of the players above before him.
Rowan Marshall Rookied 2016. 13 games. Maybe not a star, but not out of his depth, far too useful a tall ( i see him as a utility) to delist.
Darragh Joyce CatB Rookie 2016. 2 games. Still has a fair gap to bridge and i don't think it will be easy for the 22 year old.

Logan Austin . Traded in 2017. 7 of his 20 games at StKilda, he's played much better than his earlier work at Port. Still looks promising.
Clavarino. Recruited in 2017. New recruit who didn't get a game in first year. Highly rated, talls take longer, why is he even on the list?
Ben Paton. Recruited in 2018. 3 games. Kicked a goal each game, way too soon to discuss his delisting.
Doulton Langlands. Second year on rookie list. No idea how he'll go in 2018.

Kent , traded for him in 2018, yeah lets get rid of the deadwood. Seriously... ask the club doctor.

---------------------------
Ask a Doctor. Armitage , Roberton, Kent.
Russian Roulette ( at least one out ). McKenzie, Rice, White. - White seems most likely.
But this ball isn't round!!! Joyce.
Depends on others. Brown.
Need to perform. Long, Pierce, Longer. Acres. Langlands.

Will probably get more time even if we don't see them. Paton, Clavarino.

For a bottom team there’s not a lot of options there.

Armo may be done.

White would want to be best 22 otherwise I can see him being moved on because of our thousand options at half back. Rice may be in a similar boat.

Brown would be just about finished but there’s really no obvious replacement. This is why you hold on to Bruce because you never know.

For a bottom team there’s not a lot of options there.

Armo may be done.

White would want to be best 22 otherwise I can see him being moved on because of our thousand options at half back. Rice may be in a similar boat.

Brown would be just about finished but there’s really no obvious replacement. This is why you hold on to Bruce because you never know.

I see Rice as being in the awkward position as being the most obvious one to come in if Geary is out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on the Rice, White, McKenzie thing... I really don't know how Dmac got into the good books with so many on here despite still averaging less disposals than White this year and looking like a headless chicken but I think we'll keep all 3. Whitr and McKenzie competing for 1 spot with Rice waiting to snaffle Geary's when he's no longer a forced selection being captain.

Just on the Rice, White, McKenzie thing... I really don't know how Dmac got into the good books with so many on here despite still averaging less disposals than White this year and looking like a headless chicken but I think we'll keep all 3. Whitr and McKenzie competing for 1 spot with Rice waiting to snaffle Geary's when he's no longer a forced selection being captain.

Don't forget that Coffield may end up there somewhere as well. Maybe he can be a mid, but we don't know yet.

McKenzie.
A few of us noticed he was playing well, despite not racking up the stats.
If you must have stats i guess 1% ers are something.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion though i'm happy that i agree with those who award best and fairest points though i'd like him to get more disposals.

Last edited:
I think at this stage it is really hard to pick the guys to go next year

I’m kind of assuming Arno will retire (I have him pencilled in to go on the long term injury list so we can draft a state rookie)

I still think it might be a year too early for brown to finish, but he’d be in my thinking.

Hoping some guys go past savage so could trade him..

If pierce beats out longer you’d think we’d let longer go - although still need cover....

I guess it could be the unlucky kids who don’t get a crack at it or come on this year. Or it could be the bottom 6 guys who we can get a bit of value trading and are happy with cover - say Dunstan or Bruce if others are going ok.

It’s going to be tough.

Back