POLL - Do you support KNEELING?

Do you support the kneeling?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

So are the people claiming supporting a change in police brutality is just us being fed a narrative by the powers in charge not aware that their position sounds an awful lot like they have been fed an equal narrative? The narrative that BLM is actually trying to overthrow the world and racism isnt actually a problem and we should all just watch footy?

Now you're just being disrespectful, bordering on, well, I won't say it. But we both know.

View attachment 891121

This guy is a true hero and I suspect that you simply don't respect him enough to kneel through the full 8m 46s of silence he deserves.

You think that maybe 30s of silence is 'enough', that by doing 30s you have 'played your part', just like the players last night.

Fair enough, that's your opinion, but don't besmirch me and call me names just because we disagree.

Do you understand?

No one is claiming he is a hero. People are just saying he didn't deserve to die over a potentially fake $20 bill.

No one is claiming he is a hero. People are just saying he didn't deserve to die over a potentially fake $20 bill.

Yeah, yeah, but did you hear he also did other stuff? So, like, yeah, he forfeited his right to life when he did things that actually wouldn't get him the death penalty even in America

Some people refuse to acknowledge or understand that this gesture is mostly not about what is happening in the USA. Kneeling in the AFL is about using this point in time as a catalyst to raise awareness of own own issues with indigenous disadvantage.

Indigenous players are driving this as hard as they think the mainstream will accept. I believe they are strongly supported by their teammates and clubs. Especially after the Goodes fiasco.

So please, stop conflating this with what is happening in the USA. Because * them.

Some people refuse to acknowledge or understand that this gesture is mostly not about what is happening in the USA. Kneeling in the AFL is about using this point in time as a catalyst to raise awareness of own own issues with indigenous disadvantage.

Indigenous players are driving this as hard as they think the mainstream will accept. I believe they are strongly supported by their teammates and clubs. Especially after the Goodes fiasco.

So please, stop conflating this with what is happening in the USA. Because fu** them.

If them kneeling makes even one person stop and actually consider how the situation could be taking hold in our own country then I would consider their kneeling very much worth it.

And honestly, I think it either already has or will. It's got people talking for a start and that's half the battle.

No one is claiming he is a hero.

Incorrect. I am saying he is a hero, as are many other people.

"He's going to change the world."

The poignant eulogy to George Floyd delivered by his brother Rodney on Tuesday is already at least partially true, although how deep and enduring that change is will be decided by future struggles.

The wave of protests spurred by Floyd's death and the societal turmoil it triggered will almost certainly ebb in the days after his body was carried to his grave on a horse-drawn carriage, almost with the trappings of a state funeral for a national hero.

You might not like it, but this is the reality. George Floyd is a hero to countless people in the US and around the world.

Australian footballers have already done more to honour Sir Floyd than they have done to honour any single Australian hero.

Order of Australia recipients, knights, Prime Ministers: none of them have received a bowing at the knee by two teams, the way Sir Floyd has.

I'm on the record stating that the 30s token gesture was not enough, but credit where it's due, Sir Floyd is receiving the hero worship he deserves.

I don't know why you are trying to deny it.

People are just saying he didn't deserve to die over a potentially fake $20 bill.

Nobody deserves to die over a counterfeit bill.

Nor do they deserve to die over allegations of abusing pregnant women or involvement in pr0n and drug dealings.

Sir Floyd didn't deserve to die, on that I am sure we can ALL agree. Yes?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one is suggesting getting rid of the police. People just want to change things so Aboriginal people are not 700% more likely to die at the hands of the police, or in police custody than non-Aboriginal people.
Here is one I found just now

Firstly, "Yes" to the taking a knee.

To say that Aboriginal people are 700% more likely to die in custody is not really telling the whole statistical story. Your link confirms the Australian Institue of Criminology's 2019 (below) finding that indigenous people are Less likely to die in police custody than non indigenous. The royal commission into this issue, published in 1991, had a similar finding. The 700% is taking into consideration the fact that indigenous people make up only around 3.3% of the Australian population, yet account for around a quarter of all deaths in custody. When you factor in the disturbing statistic that 28% of all prisoners in Australia are indigenous, the picture becomes clearer.
Yes, this incarceration rate is vastly disproportionate, but it is directly proportionate to crimes being committed. Domestic voilence is involved in 70% of indigenous incarcerations, with the partners and children as the victim in most cases. It's a very complex and sad situation. Do you imprison the perpetrator (as we would expect to see happen with a person of any other race)? Or do we apply leniency because of race, and abandon the victims?

Very difficult one to answer.

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 3.55.56 pm.png

If you agree with Sammy Newman on anything there's a really good chance you're an idiot.
Just saying.

I see what you're saying but thats not entire true. Just because someone like him who has a predisposition to support things considered controversial doesnt mean he isnt accurate sometimes.

Is it hurting anyone?

According to 33 people so far it has really impacted their way of life negatively.

I hope those people killed by cops take a long hard look at their effect they've had on good, honest Footy loving folk.

I voted no because if the players organised a "Kneel for Hong Kong" next week ol Gil will have a heart attack and kill it.

I don't want sport and politics to mix but since it's going to you can't just pick the easy battles because its good for PR.

Easy counter to that. The player informs the club, records him doing it, and then does it even if hes told not to.

Then, if big bad Gil tries to get rid of him for doing it, he has a LOT OF EVIDENCE to back himself up.

You think Gil would go against THAT backlash just to try and stop another backlash?

The issue I have is what if a player does not want to kneel, not because he has an opposite view but rather they would prefer to keep their thoughts private. if they choose not to kneel they would be scorned And cancelled by all and sundry with out even being asked why they didn’t. Being told how to protest is as bad as being told not to protest.

Back