Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The number of AFL figures suggesting a breakaway from WADA is quite alarming. Paticularly the AFLPA admiring NFL and NBA where the players are as secure as yesterdays leftovers.

So the hypothetical poll is:

If the AFL were to have aserious split, some clubs pursuing freedom from WADA and a 'whatever it takes' attitude, probably paying better wages and ending up with most of the srars.

But some clubs decide to stay true to the public ideals, warts and all, and staying inside the governments tent.

We dont know where TV money will go. In the nrl split they favoured the money

Where would you prefer your club go?

My first thought was that I'd follow my club wherever it played. But if the AFL actually split over this I don't think I'd have the heart to follow the non-WADA league, even if North was in it. Won't happen, but in the hypothetical wash up, I'd be out.

The AFL market is simply nowhere near that of the of NBA, NFL etc. We're in completely different stratospheres.
So a split from WADA would eventually lead to a return of the "heady" 80s.
Maybe for the purists who loved travelling to Princess Park, Vic Park, Windy Hill, Western Oval etc that wouldn't be such a bad thing...

Or to any international Benchmark for standards of behaviour in regards to PEDs...... And just think of the optics for AFL in the eyes of the world, and the kids growing deciding what sport to play...NRL and soccer would love AFL to do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I, like I think the majority of Australia, don't actually want drugs in our sport. The farce that was the AFL tribunal just proved why we need WADA. The AFL would do anything to protect itself, and as we saw, an internal tribunal is unable to make an impartial decision.

I don't think I'd stop watching Freo if we broke off from WADA, but I wouldn't let my kids play footy because I don't want them to follow their dreams to play it and end up in a risky drug-fuelled environment

Breakaway.

Chap on SEN, Barmy, whoever he is, is right. Why should we have those Fritz foreigners coming in here telling us what to do? If we don't want to fill in ridiculously complicated forms or follow some nonsense protocols we shouldn't have to.

Aussies don't cheat so we don't need WADA or CAS.

Sport in this country is represented by John Landy type sportsmanship, we only take drugs because the WADA code makes it seems like we do.
Yet people get punished for genuine mistakes like popping one of their mum's pills or taking methadone that a friend gave them.

Seems like a sound chap, this Barmy fellow. Exactly the sort of person we should have in charge of the programs.

As for this nonsense about funding, well that only happened because they changed the national anthem and stopped appeals to the Privy Council and allowed that woman to be PM.

My work here is complete, the strands cut to shreds and another lefty thread demolished.

#BeganotGruyere

WADA.

We don't want to see what happens in the US at the moment with competitions like the NBA and NFL where they refuse to accept the WADA code because they know the competition is riddled with PED users.

Ironically supporters in the US are perfectly ok with cheating because it means guys like Derrick Rose who has been injury hit most of his career can take HGH and still play where he may have had to retire had he not taken steroids.

The only people who actually want a break with WADA, are simply acting in their own interests. If the AFL stops being compliant with WADA the sport would become a joke.

A ludicrous amount of athletes in the NFL and the NBA are on PEDs (among other things), It's clear as day when normal sized guys become ripped over a summer, Lebron lost a ridiculous amount of weight before the NBA season started. Those sports should never be used as an example of a sport without WADA. Those two sports just don't want to deal with controversy so they ignore it, kind of like the AFL wants to run things.

If the AFL broke away and was serious then it could be a better way to do things if an investigation is needed. But it also could be easy to bury the bodies. Here is an example of greater flexibility a sporting body would have if it spent the resources and wanted to get to the bottom of any doping investigation

New York Yankee Alex Rodriguez was involved with a doping scandal involving a Miami lab called Biogenesis that was an anti-ageing and hormone replacement therapy clinic. Sound familiar?? It was run by a character called Anthony Bosch he supplied drugs to Rodriguez and 13 others. The other 13 accepted their penalty straight away when the evidence came out. The scandal broke in January 2013 about PED's from 2010, crime figures in Miami and Latin America were involved. The MLB decided to investigate themselves in March 2013, by August they had the evidence, suspended Rodriguez for 211 games ie last 49 games of 2013 home and away season and 162 games of 2014 season. He appealed and the arbitrator had it all resolved by January 2014 and it was reduced to 162 games. So all done and dusted in full within 12 months.

I have posted this before at link below which has the video of the CBS 60 minutes story and the other link has more details.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...fence-banned-for.1078688/page-4#post-35416479
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...he-arod-findings.1046710/page-4#post-31489014

The CBS 60 minutes story on Rodriguez was at the start of 2014. Bosch was a Dank/Victor Conte type character, Rodriguez was Armstrong/Hird type arrogance and denial and administrator from MLB who decided to do a proper investigation.

"This scandal first broke in 2013 when an unhappy business partner of Bosch stole client records from Bosch's clinic and shared them with a newspaper, the Miami New Times. What came next was a contest between Major League Baseball and baseball's richest player. The league's investigation was more "FBI" than MLB. But Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig told us this was a battle to save the game and he was determined not to lose to Rodriguez."
"At the Manhattan headquarters of Major League Baseball, Rob Manfred had his sights on Bosch. A lawyer by training, Manfred runs Major League Baseball as the chief operating officer. Commissioner Selig told him to do what he had to do to get to the bottom of the scandal. Manfred hired the former director of the United States Secret Service and a number of retired FBI agents--more than 30 investigators in all. In the underworld of Miami, word got around. And a call came to Major League Baseball. Turned out there were more documents from Bosch's Biogenesis clinic."

The full transcript is at
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-case-of-alex-rodriguez/

Is a shame that Dave Culbert was tied up at the tennis for his spot on Hungry for Sport with Balme this morning, he would have taken Balme to the cleaners with what he said.

Will be interesting to see next time Culbert and Balme are on the show together what is said.
Balme was completely uninformed abt WADA / CAS, what they do and who they are. Amazing considering his players must abide. Really unbelievable. Didn't stop him making stupid comments abt WADA CAS. If he is indicative of the ignorance within clubs, then expect more scandals.

The number of AFL figures suggesting a breakaway from WADA is quite alarming. Paticularly the AFLPA admiring NFL and NBA where the players are as secure as yesterdays leftovers.

So the hypothetical poll is:

If the AFL were to have aserious split, some clubs pursuing freedom from WADA and a 'whatever it takes' attitude, probably paying better wages and ending up with most of the srars.

But some clubs decide to stay true to the public ideals, warts and all, and staying inside the governments tent.

We dont know where TV money will go. In the nrl split they favoured the money

Where would you prefer your club go?
'AFL figures' ? Like Neil Balme? The guy is an A grade moron.
Does he understand Essendon nominated James Spigelman to CAS?
Does he have any idea who Spigelman is?
Spigelman is one of the most respected Supreme Court Judges in Australia. A straight down the line legal eagle of the highest esteem.
Balme is an ignorant fat oaf with a big mouth and a small brain who should go and jump off a high bridge. His DNA is best removed from the ecosystem.

Balme was completely uninformed abt WADA / CAS, what they do and who they are. Amazing considering his players must abide. Really unbelievable. Didn't stop him making stupid comments abt WADA CAS. If he is indicative of the ignorance within clubs, then expect more scandals.
Spot on.
We keep getting told (falsely) how professional AFL clubs are etc etc. This is all marketing. In reality it is the same old boys clubs run by the same complete and utter half-wits as ever. Only difference is now these same morons get paid more, wear nicer clothes and drive fancier car. They arent getting any smarter. "Increased professionalism' just means the same dumb people getting paid much more.

The sport will be a joke if the ethical sporting norms are abandoned by the AFL.
Proposed by small minded men who think no further than next week, and these are custodians of the game!
So they want a drugs free for all and a system of petty power and manipulation. It would be the end for me because I would see the whole thing as a joke sport. The poll at the moment is at least a little reassuring.

Back