• Yep, just need to get back to our early season form

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • Yep, we still havent seen our best

Votes: 12 9.7%
  • Yep, just need a few tweaks

Votes: 8 6.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd drop De Boer for Crozier. One can kick, the other can't. I'd keep Taberner in the side at all costs - aren't going to win without a second key forward. I wouldn't have Suban instead of Sutcliffe/Mzungu. I'd give Blakely or Weller more runs as sub.

Freo beat Hawthorn last year with three players under 20 games in the side, it proved risks can be taken. The side that took the field on Sunday was extremely conservatively chosen.

People are saying that the side is playing conservatively - well the coach is selecting players the same way.

So ins would be Tabs (forward), Crozier (forward), Sutcliffe/Mzungu (defense) and Blakely/Weller (midfield). I'd be happy to see these changes as well. I'd also being in Grey for Clancee.

I'd drop De Boer for Crozier. One can kick, the other can't. I'd keep Taberner in the side at all costs - aren't going to win without a second key forward. I wouldn't have Suban instead of Sutcliffe/Mzungu. I'd give Blakely or Weller more runs as sub.

Freo beat Hawthorn last year with three players under 20 games in the side, it proved risks can be taken. The side that took the field on Sunday was extremely conservatively chosen.

People are saying that the side is playing conservatively - well the coach is selecting players the same way.

I would go with most of that.

I think there's something under the surface with Croz that isn't quite right, I wont go on about it here, just a hunch ... and no it's not about being traded etc., but in any case, I think he should be in more often than not if his body can take it. He is a natural fwd of centre type player who creates scores either off his own boot or bringing others in. I'm a bit more forgiving than you Clogged. I think DeBoer can have a role when required (for example he should have played in the Adelaide game in those conditions), but he's just not dangerous enough with ball in hand unfortunately.

Tabs completely agree. For better or worse, he's our 2nd tall and he's actually going OK at the role. Conditions haven't suited him of late, but he does enough right and he helps with the shape of our other fwds no end, just need to stick with him and I think RTB ultimately will.

In hindsight, no doubt I'd like to have seen Blakely or Weller come off the bench instead of Suban who was a waste of time in more ways than one. The game was shot anyway, but to get exposure against the very best in a game that, in the end, was always going to be a stretch - would have been a good call.

Even though there are differing schools of thought there has, so far, also been a fair bit of consensus around our board.

- Our current form won't take us anywhere
- We are in a fantastic position to have a tilt
- Losing to the Hawks in Tassie happens. By 72 points is unacceptable.
- Dead weight needs to be chopped and/or beaten back into shape
- Losing three defenders has contributed to our mids being sucked back
- A few of our systems are too predictable
- We ALL want a bloody flag
- Falling into the finals and not arresting our slump will be unacceptable

Some think we are no chance while others believe that once the finals hit, RTB's masterplan will take effect and we thrash all in our way. The majority however are somewhere in between. Hoping that 2015 is our year and that we can turn this around. Mixing hope, frustration, passion and opinion on a text based forum is the perfect recipe for disaster. With that in mind I reckon we have all done alright since Sunday. As we move fwd its probably worth remembering that we all want the same thing and that we're all purple to our core.

At our best, we can pull it off and win it all. Yes in 2013, we got beaten in tassie but we made the grand final. Freo can kick 15 goals on Grand final day. 10 has to be from our forward line in Walters, Pav, Tabs, Mayne and ballas. 5 goals from our mids. I have said it before and will say it again.... Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, Neale, Mzungu, Hill, Both Pearces are each able and have proven to kick 2-3 goals in a game from 20 odd disposals. Hell the swans in 2012 won a flag with no key forwards.

At our best, we can pull it off and win it all. Yes in 2013, we got beaten in tassie but we made the grand final. Freo can kick 15 goals on Grand final day.

15 goals isn't enough to beat Hawthorn.

At the risk of souding like a 6PR caller- I'm an eagles fan but I have a few thoughts about the Dockers.

Of course your best is good enough. Its a formula that works in finals, its been better this year than last.

Most premiership teams have a slump at some stage, many even lose games by a lot. You play a physically taxing game style, and it requires everyone to chip in. Unfortunately some of your players are out of form, particularly in the forward half.

The biggest issue, by far, is Hawthorn. You'll beat the rest in the finals IMO, but if they play you in a knockout final, they know how to get it done.

At the risk of souding like a 6PR caller- I'm an eagles fan but I have a few thoughts about the Dockers.

Of course your best is good enough. Its a formula that works in finals, its been better this year than last.

Most premiership teams have a slump at some stage, many even lose games by a lot. You play a physically taxing game style, and it requires everyone to chip in. Unfortunately some of your players are out of form, particularly in the forward half.

The biggest issue, by far, is Hawthorn. You'll beat the rest in the finals IMO, but if they play you in a knockout final, they know how to get it done.

Little thing could salmonella. Get to the Hawthorn lunch cook the day before the grannie. Slip him a $100 along with a vile full of the special ingredient and the players will be greener on game day than Pav was at the Brisbane game.

Hard to play tough, contested footy when you are exploding at both ends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little thing could salmonella. Get to the Hawthorn lunch cook the day before the grannie. Slip him a $100 along with a vile full of the special ingredient and the players will be greener on game day than Pav was at the Brisbane game.

Hard to play tough, contested footy when you are exploding at both ends.

Worked for the Yarpies in 1995.

My thoughts;
- Taberner needs to play in every game possible. Omitting him from the Hawthorn game was a mistake, even if we considered the weather, he should've still played.
- Crozier should be very highly considered. He needs to have more than a couple games without being sent straight back to Peel. He's shown class and scoring opportunities which we desperately need.
- Play a debutant (especially against Carlton) this round. Whoever it may be from Weller, Blakely, Langdon, Grey, should be in the team as a sub at least in front of Suban/de Boer.
- Keep Mzungu in the team.
- Johnson, Silvagni, and/or Dawson returning to the team will drastically improve our squad.

From history I don't think the Carlton game will be a blowout but you never know. I just hope we can hit the scoreboard, there's no excuse against an injury riddled bottom team.

I would be the same, but would also be inclined to replace Ballantyne with Duffy to see what he can do.

Ballas is a liability

We can't beat Hawthorn in Melbourne, but apart from that, our best is good enough.

An issue is that we need ALL of our top 10-12 players to be fit and playing well. This might seem like a captain obvious statement, but a side like Hawthorn can cope if they are missing a star player or two (e.g. Roughead, or even see how they went when Franklin left). We don't have that ability. For example, can't win the flag without MJ back in the side.

De Boer definitely. Cannot have a forward that cannot kick over 40m. Just can't carry them.

I'd also be looking seriously at Duffield. He is not a defenders a-hole.
A lot of offensive traffic gets put through his opponent.Sutcliffe hasn't been good there this year so Grey needs a look, or even shifting Alex Pearce into that Role when Johnson gets back.
If Mayne and Ballantyne don't start firing they have to be looked at. And dropping Mayne may in fact allow a rotation of a Weller/Langdon type who can assist Hill and Pearce

De Boer definitely. Cannot have a forward that cannot kick over 40m. Just can't carry them.

I'd also be looking seriously at Duffield. He is not a defenders a-hole.
A lot of offensive traffic gets put through his opponent.Sutcliffe hasn't been good there this year so Grey needs a look, or even shifting Alex Pearce into that Role when Johnson gets back.

If Mayne and Ballantyne don't start firing they have to be looked at. And dropping Mayne may in fact allow a rotation of a Weller/Langdon type who can assist Hill and Pearce

Duffield isn't playing great and Sutty has managed to work his way out of the team and that says volumes in itself - but there's no way you can shift Grey or AP into their roles. If that role was only about stopping players, then sure, maybe. But for both, their role as providing ball control from the back half is more what they're in for; they have to provide good delivery and some run. Asking AP to do that would be a massive ask given where he's at.

Maybe we shift Spurr into a more 'ball in hand' type role, and AP slides over and becomes our priority small defender, something like that, but that's not generally how RTB operates. AP will be a Dawson/McPharlin backup and that's it I reckon.

Duffield isn't playing great and Sutty has managed to work his way out of the team and that says volumes in itself - but there's no way you can shift Grey or AP into their roles. If that role was only about stopping players, then sure, maybe. But for both, their role as providing ball control from the back half is more what they're in for; they have to provide good delivery and some run. Asking AP to do that would be a massive ask given where he's at.

Maybe we shift Spurr into a more 'ball in hand' type role, and AP slides over and becomes our priority small defender, something like that, but that's not generally how RTB operates. AP will be a Dawson/McPharlin backup and that's it I reckon.
Perhaps Ibbo could switch to manning up a small in place of Duffield once MJ is back. Would back him in to play Duffield's role, with AP freeing up MJ for that intercept marking/creative attacking rebound from D50 role.

Perhaps Ibbo could switch to manning up a small in place of Duffield once MJ is back. Would back him in to play Duffield's role, with AP freeing up MJ for that intercept marking/creative attacking rebound from D50 role.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

The other way to look at it is that by and large our back half has worked fairly well, especially earlier in the season, the problem is coming going fwd - which includes how we come out of defence I suppose, which is why both Duffman and Sutty have been on the outer, neither have done that well which is what they're there for. So I've just gone full circle there o_O.

I guess what I'm saying is that with MJ in, the rest has seemed to work really well, so you'd think that would be plan A. Finding a place for AP would be nice, but in the end of the day, that's not the aim of the game.

Back