Opinion POLL - New Footy manager - Possible candidates?

Who would you like Freo to target as Footy manager to get us though the re-build

• Peter Bell

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • Paul Haselby

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Justin Longmuire

• Peter Sumich

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Graham Wright

• Neil Balme

Votes: 25 29.4%

• Total voters

332docker

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Western Force
I heard his interview a couple of nights ago, the day Freo announced Bond leaving. He hadn't heard anything about it but said "Pass on my number". It was kinda joking, but being a WA born and bred and where he started his footy can't be out of the question and he didn't shut the door. No harm in asking. After what he's done already with Geelong, Collingwood and Richmond would give him a level of prestige that might be attractive and he genuinely might want to help Freo!
Okay - sold -I've added Balme to list of possible - doubt he'd move back to WA - he was born here and played 4 games for subi but from then on has only got back as far as Adelaide as a player and coach or administrator.

Would be a good get if we could get him, no doubt.

You can edit your vote if you voted other or for someone else earlier on before I added Balme and Wright

Last edited:
I heard his interview a couple of nights ago, the day Freo announced Bond leaving. He hadn't heard anything about it but said "Pass on my number". It was kinda joking, but being a WA born and bred and where he started his footy can't be out of the question and he didn't shut the door. No harm in asking. After what he's done already with Geelong, Collingwood and Richmond would give him a level of prestige that might be attractive and he genuinely might want to help Freo!
I did not know this. He absolutely needs to be priority one

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
Don't think he has done enough post footy to move into an admin role - maybe down the track - but he seems more likely to stay in media long term I reckon
You're probably right.

He was AFL players association President for years, has an MBA and has been involved in businesses in the background.

He also said he wanted to work in Club / AFL administration when he retired.

Give him a few years and he'd be perfect for the role.

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Balme has to be the preferred pick. We need someone with his track record at the club.

In saying that, I highly doubt he'd come. He's working with a fantastic club atm and I doubt there's much of a home state lure, given he's spent his entire administrative career in Victoria. Maybe helping us to that elusive first flag might be an attractive proposition for his CV?

I guess Bell is the second choice, but I have my reservations about the whole 'boys club' thing that appointing him entails.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Balme deserves 100% of the vote. We should be moving heaven and earth to lure him but you'd think it'd be very unlikely. If he came back to his birth place and repeated what he has done at Geelong and Richmond he'd earn the reputation as the best footy administrator in history. C'mon Neil, take the challenge!

Crippa

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just pay Balme whatever it takes. Stump up the luxury tax on big off-field spending if we have to.

Steve Harris is only a phone call away if he needs to shore up his intestinal fortitude, but Rosich can do this if anyone can.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Okay - sold -I've added Balme to list of possible - doubt he'd move back to WA - he was born here and played 4 games for subi but from then on has only got back as far as Adelaide as a player and coach or administrator.

Would be a good get if we could get him, no doubt.

You can edit your vote if you voted other or for someone else earlier on before I added Balme and Wright
He talked about playing his junior footy with Mt Pleasant under East Fremantle. Not sure why he mentioned that? Surely Freo can put forward an attractive proposition for him.

Freo Shark

Invasion of the Purple Haze
Oct 18, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks, Miami Heat, Wildcats, 49ers
Balme has dome it all. Surely he'd have to see Freo as the ultimate challenge when he's got nothing left to prove - just because he can.

Help\steer us to our first Cup, he'd go ledgendary. Would cap his career. He'd cant have many more employed years!

Wonder if his wages are taxed by the AFL?

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Balme has to be the preferred pick. We need someone with his track record at the club.

In saying that, I highly doubt he'd come. He's working with a fantastic club atm and I doubt there's much of a home state lure, given he's spent his entire administrative career in Victoria. Maybe helping us to that elusive first flag might be an attractive proposition for his CV?

I guess Bell is the second choice, but I have my reservations about the whole 'boys club' thing that appointing him entails.

Just my take on Bell, but I don't think it's a fair assessment. Sure, plenty of club hero's get golden handshakes. But Bell did the hard yards as president of the players association - it requires negotiation and reading plenty of legal documents etc. Plus his acreditation as a lawyer, business owner and being on the Fremantle Board.

The antithesis of Hird if you ask me. Hird got the golden handshakes and was an untouchable, which (just in my humble opinion) made it hard for those around to challenge the status quo. Bell has the extra credentials than just being a good footy player.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Just thought I'd kick off a poll for a laugh - I added Hird as there seems like a genuine push to get him back into the fold and freo already tried to head hunt him for Opposition anylists role at start of season. Also added Voss.

My Pre-requisites:

Essential:
  • Successful past playing career
  • Proven media performer (doesn't take s**t or backflip on his opinions!)
Desirable:
  • Extensive coaching background either at lower level as a senior coach or extended period as assistant coach at multiple AFL clubs
  • Extensive media background
pardon me, but why is a successful past playing career essential for a new footy manager?

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
May 17, 2005
fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Heard that Balme is thinking of retiring in near future is in his mid 60's now. is already legendary status without coming to WA but if you want the best then he sure is the Doyen of Footy managers.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
its the same with coaches which clubs seem to be obsessed with the concept that a good player = good coach which most of the evidence recently is the opposite.

It's kind of neither/nor.

You don't have to be a drongo to play footy, some have done law and other high falutin' degrees. Equally, being able to run fast, throw a ball to your boot and consistently kick it accurately does not make you a chess grandmaster stratego

Some footy players are excellent fits for skills training and have a sound grasp on particular footy related skills and how to teach them. Some are competent leaders and will be able to coach the forward line under a head coach that is a brighter sparks. Others will have a grasp on those things, but can think through the game day tactics and strategies and mid game corrections needed. I think it's fair to say that most footy players won't have the communication skills or sufficient grasp on tactics/strategy to think through any of these to a high level, but there are a lot of players and a big reservoir of ex-players which gives an amount that actually are up to the task.

I also think that it's silly to demand that being an AFL player is a prerequisite to coach. You don't have to live through the symptoms of leprosy to find the cure for it.

Back