• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freo Quokkas

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2016
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've created a poll for all Big Footy users to have a say on whether they think a Red Card should be implemented and used in AFL and AFLW matches for serious and severe on-field offences.

Stumpy Pete

Premiership Player
Sep 2, 2003
At the Butterfly Ball
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes - with with video review to be a part of it. Player infringing to be immediately sent off (and replaced) and not able to be return to the field for a period of 5 minutes. During that 5 minutes the video reviewer to determine whether player can be part of future interchange rotations or not.

I would expect around 1 player per week to be initially sent off but less than 5 across the entire year not be allowed to return to the field of play for the remainder of the game.

Regards

S. Pete

Jun 29, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
No.

If we have learnt anything from Score Reviews, VAR in Soccer and the Bunker in NRL it's that adding an additional human element, regardless of how good the technology is, only leads to more controversy and errors in judgement.

The issue surrounds where you set the line for a send off. There is too much grey area for there to be any kind of consistency.

Freo Quokkas

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2016
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Please select No or Yes up above at the top and enter it. So far the results are: Yes: 3, to No: 2.

Tex9798

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
No.

Honestly doesnt serve as a deterrent because the incidents that could possibly result in a red card are incidents where the player is obviously not thinking.

Also, over the years I can only think of 3 or maybe 4 incidents that deserve a red card.

Hall, Bugg, Gaff and Jonas.

But incidents like this are really rare.

Sep 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manly, Bills, Ducks, Leafs
No.

Honestly doesnt serve as a deterrent because the incidents that could possibly result in a red card are incidents where the player is obviously not thinking.

Also, over the years I can only think of 3 or maybe 4 incidents that deserve a red card.

Hall, Bugg, Gaff and Jonas.

But incidents like this are really rare.

Tend to agree with that too, but for those 4, why not march them? Or are we afraid that they'll start to use it more (which is a perfectly valid concern)?

Actually, not sure I'd include the Jonas one - it was late, sure, but the ball was there. I'd probably reserve the red for off the ball incidents.

Whyswun

Rookie
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Definately Yes! The basic logic of a send off rule is impossible to logically argue against. A player should not be allowed to take out an opposition player, leave that team 1 player down and then the offender continues his merry way for the rest of the game. Works well in much older game of Soccer. If someone suggested getting rid of it in Soccer they would be ridiculed.

Tex9798

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tend to agree with that too, but for those 4, why not march them? Or are we afraid that they'll start to use it more (which is a perfectly valid concern)?

Actually, not sure I'd include the Jonas one - it was late, sure, but the ball was there. I'd probably reserve the red for off the ball incidents.

Jonas was the "maybe" in my post.

I have watched that a few times, very crude hit, he is extremely late and its not like he was going for the ball, just a straight up hit to the back of the head.

But of those 4 incidents, its the one that you could actually debate whether it was a football act or not.

Sep 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manly, Bills, Ducks, Leafs
Jonas was the "maybe" in my post.

I have watched that a few times, very crude hit, he is extremely late and its not like he was going for the ball, just a straight up hit to the back of the head.

But of those 4 incidents, its the one that you could actually debate whether it was a football act or not.

Yeah, guessed Jonas was the maybe - all good. The other 3, no issues at all with a red card. The "football act" test is probably what should be used, and it should come down to there being no subject for debate (in my opinion). I can definitely see how you put Jonas in that group though.

maskmcgee

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2017
The Windy Apple
AFL Club
Essendon
There have been exactly 2 incidents in the past decade where I wouldn't have minded a red card - Barry Hall and Gaff. Only off the ball intentional strikes. No Jonas, no Cameron in contests.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I vite no purely because the AFL can't get te 50m right.

We've also seen how the tribunal has expanded to ridiculous levels. The red card will end up the same way

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
I vite no purely because the AFL can't get te 50m right.

We've also seen how the tribunal has expanded to ridiculous levels. The red card will end up the same way
pretty hard to get a bugg/hall/gaff type of strike wrong. A red card isnt going to be applied to dangerous tackle or rough conduct types of things. I worry for anyone who cant see how different those types of things are that they think there will be trouble distinguishing them.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Yes
But only because I think the umps shouldn't be limited in their authority to control the game if necessary. I would regard it as a reserve power, used rarely if ever, where a player has offended and is at risk if re-offending in game.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
pretty hard to get a bugg/hall/gaff type of strike wrong. A red card isnt going to be applied to dangerous tackle or rough conduct types of things. I worry for anyone who cant see how different those types of things are that they think there will be trouble distinguishing them.
Initially no...but then when the tribunal was brought in, did we think players would miss games for things that aren't free kicks

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
In principal I like the idea of penalising poor behaviour and leveling the playing field should that behaviour put a team one man down, but hell no!. The AFL will make a s**t show of it, they need to focus on getting normal umpiring right.

Back