Opinion Poll: Ross Lyon as AFC Coach

Do you want Ross Lyon as head coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon is a very senior player driven coach who implement a very strict and complicated game game. He would have been an ideal candidate in 2016 when we hired Pyke, however we will have as many as 12 to 14 list changes and we could lose as much as 1,000 games experience.

Ross Lyon isn’t a development coach. He will be the wrong coach for this group.

Ross Lyon isn’t a development coach. He will be the wrong coach for this group.

What does that even mean? Where did this come from? Why does this even matter?

We have plenty of scope to have a secondary coach that connects with the young players ... Ross doesn't need to do everything related to the players.

I've heard a lot from past players that say how high they rate Lyon as a coach and leader.

I'm sure young players have developed under Ross and prospered. Such a simplistic pov to say 'he can't develop players'.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t really believe that someone is either a rebuild or finisher coach. How many coaches have rebuilt a list that they personally won a flag ( or close to ) with, to then go on and win another flag, with a new group recently?

Even Clarkson’s struggling with that at, Hawthorn at the moment and no one doubts his coaching ability.

I think Ross would be fine taking over and shaping a young group and I’d like to see him matched with our recruiting staff.

Last edited:
Yeah it was a response to people suggesting that. I understand that's not possible, or good management.

I.e. just because some players loved him, doesn't prove he's a warm cushy guy that everyone loved.
Yep it doesn't prove he is warm and gushy OR distant and cold.

My point is, who cares? It's not like they are the only two choices. You can't please all of the people all of the time. How about we focus on some of the actual characteristics Lyon has that will make us a better club ... Rather than try and make us a happier bunch of losers?

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

Yep it doesn't prove he is warm and gushy OR distant and cold.

My point is, who cares? It's not like they are the only two choices. You can't please all of the people all of the time. How about we focus on some of the actual characteristics Lyon has that will make us a better club ... Rather than try and make us a happier bunch of losers?

I wasn't suggesting the coach should be warm and squishy either. My point was that people using that as an argument to appoint him were wrong on that point, not that the point was valid.

Lyon hasn't proven he's a great coach. St Kilda nearly got there but didn't, with an amazing list. Fremantle got to the big stage but wasn't up to it and hasn't done anything since. Was it the list? I don't know but you couldn't say St Kilda didn't have it.

For me he's proven to be unsuccessful so may as well try someone else. It's like people are drawn to knowing what they're going to get, and there's a comfort in that because the risk is less, but risk equals reward. Picking a single stock that doesn't outperform the market isn't going to make you rich, and unfortunately you can't play the long game in football.

Well anyone is a proven coach then aren't they? They just had to have coached by your definition.
Seriously mate STFU
The only one who has defined proven is you by saying they must have won a premiership to be so. We should therefore not pick a rookie, because they're unproven too.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well anyone is a proven coach then aren't they? They just had to have coached by your definition.

Blight was sacked by North Melbourne in the early eighties.
Then went to Woodville, no flag either.
Went to geelong, had a gun list, home ground advantage and no flag.
We hired him after 16 years in the coaching system and a poor record in big games he was favourite in many.

Seriously mate STFU
The only one who has defined proven is you by saying they must have won a premiership to be so. We should therefore not pick a rookie, because they're unproven too.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

That's my whole point. If they're both unproven, so why go with the one we know is not successful.

What's your definition of proven if it's not the ultimate success in 13 years as a senior coach?

The one thing that has come out about Ross is that he tends to align himself with the "superstar" players at the club and not too much with the rest.

What happens at our club when we dont have any superstars, who will he talk to ??

Blight was sacked by North Melbourne in the early eighties.
Then went to Woodville, no flag either.
Went to geelong, had a gun list, home ground advantage and no flag.
We hired him after 16 years in the coaching system and a poor record in big games he was favourite in many.

s**t, I'd happy to be wrong. If we knew Ross Lyon was going to the be the next Blight for Adelaide then of course I'd want to snap him up. I just don't think he will. If we appoint him and win back to back flags I'll be the first to say I was wrong, but at this point it's all speculation and opinion. Mine is he's not going to get us there.

s**t, I'd happy to wrong. If we knew Ross Lyon was going to the be the next Blight for Adelaide then of course I'd want to snap him up. I just don't think he will. If we appoint him and win back to back flags I'll be the first to say I was wrong, but at this point it's all speculation and opinion. Mine is he's not going to get us there.

Lyons issue at freo was the players cOuldnt handle his physical style and every second week spending 3 hours on a plane home when needing to recover.

Injuries killed them.

Probably first choice for mine given the experience and where he's gotten two separate clubs to. Hard to really rate any of the untried coaches yet and mainly for that reason but most the names popping up haven't been in the ranks for as long as someone like Ross which I think pays off. Not always the case though obviously and am pretty open to whoever we go for but I think we'd get a pretty strong coach in Lyon if that's what we did.

Cameron, Hardwick, Simpson, Beverage, Fagan and Bolton weren't highly rated when they became head coaches at their respective clubs, and most of those clubs were struggling at the time. It took a long time for Hardwick to turn things around but, with the exception of Bolton, the others mentioned have performed well. Beverage and Fagan took over basket case lists where there was no real enthusiasm from credentialled candidates, and of course Bolton took over Carlton.

Ambivalent about Lyon but he would have to be on his best behaviour, with Adelaide having such a successful AFLW team.

Things are still unclear to prospective candidates too. Your list, football department and secondary coaches are still in a state of uncertainty so some prospectives might be wary of a poisoned chalice.

Cameron, Hardwick, Simpson, Beverage, Fagan and Bolton weren't highly rated when they became head coaches at their respective clubs, and most of those clubs were struggling at the time. It took a long time for Hardwick to turn things around but, with the exception of Bolton, the others mentioned have performed well. Beverage and Fagan took over basket case lists where there was no real enthusiasm from credentialled candidates, and of course Bolton took over Carlton.

Ambivalent about Lyon but he would have to be on his best behaviour, with Adelaide having such a successful AFLW team.

Things are still unclear to prospective candidates too. Your list, football department and secondary coaches are still in a state of uncertainty so some prospectives might be wary of a poisoned chalice.
Perfectly summed up

Back