Opinion Poll: Ross Lyon as AFC Coach

Do you want Ross Lyon as head coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually rate Lyon, but my issue with him coaching us in 2020 is that he's a finisher and not a builder.

He's an elite tactician and knows how to get every drop out of a pre-built squad, but there's massive question marks over his ability to be able to build and develop a list.

Freo gave him four seasons to rebuild their list and in my opinion he failed.

Great coach, but not the right fit for a list that is going to need a substantial rebuild.
That's where the assistants will come in
Being assembled at the moment

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

I'm on the fence with this one.

He's clearly a capable match day coach. Much, much better than Pyke in this regard.

Personality wise, he's a strong character who will get what he wants (Ben Hart, you're fired). There's some negatives there too, re. the sexual harassmant incident.

The big query is whether he can build a side, not just take over an already good side and get them challenging for a flag.

It must be said though that Fremantle's drafting, particularly with early picks, has been fairly poor for a number of years. It's not like they've had the likes of Fog and Jones rotting away in the state league.

Overall, he'd be an upgrade on Pyke. Is he the best out there? Hmmm, possibly.

I don’t get this fixation with wossy’s perceived faults, in comparison with an untried coach who might not be any good at all?

Holding Woss to a higher standard than others doesn’t make sense

The biggest risk is an untried rookie coach
Stop calling him that. Ross is a massive campaigner and should not be given pet names.

I don’t get this fixation with wossy’s perceived faults, in comparison with an untried coach who might not be any good at all?

The biggest risk is an untried rookie coach

My guess is that people feel Ross Lyon is a 'known quantity' a known quantity who has yet to win a flag at 2 clubs. He got close, but ultimately didn't get there.

People seem to think that there is less risk in a rookie coach, as you might find a gym. For every Clarkson though, there is a Voss.

My guess is that people feel Ross Lyon is a 'known quantity' a known quantity who has yet to win a flag at 2 clubs. He got close, but ultimately didn't get there.

He got closer than Blight ever did before coming here. Could easily have been a 3x premiership coach

People seem to think that there is less risk in a rookie coach, as you might find a gym. For every Clarkson though, there is a Voss.

For every Clarkson there are 20 Voss’s

Ross is the type that could do what we hoped, given time, Phil Walsh would do.

And that is to finally change the culture of this football club.
That won't happen while Roo and Chapman are here. Doesn't matter who is in charge, if Lyons ideas don't match up with theirs then it won't happen.

So probably the only way he gets the job is if he agrees with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It always is unless they're already proven (like Clarkson, Hardwick etc.). Lyon isn't proven and there are a number of question marks, otherwise the poll wouldn't be so bad against having him.
Lyon isn't proven !!@??
Some people's personal opinion of him has nothing to do with his coaching ability .

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

When Lyon was first linked to the coaching job I was outraged.

Then I saw the list of possible candidates. Has there ever been a leaner list of gettable coaching ‘talent’?

Do we go for a rookie? A rookie coach stepping into a ‘rebuild’? That could go either way but just doesn’t feel right.

Now I’d prefer Ross over the the rest of the field.

BTW, we do realise Clarkson will never be available don’t we?

No, in his entire coaching career he has shown no desire or ability to develop youth. He goes for the mature players every single time he can and that is the last thing we need given our club already leans that way and we desperately need a rebuild. If that is what we're looking for we might as well just appoint campo because the results will be the same, another 4 wasted years.

BTW, we do realise Clarkson will never be available don’t we?

Yeah my point was Lyon isn't proven either, not that we could get a proven coach. Which is why I think we may as well get the best rookie available.

I understand the player relationship argument but Lyon didn't have close relationships with all of the players at Fremantle.

Yeah my point was Lyon isn't proven either, not that we could get a proven coach. Which is why I think we may as well get the best rookie available.

I understand the player relationship argument but Lyon didn't have close relationships with all of the players at Fremantle.

and at St Kilda he was known for having a very poor relationship with many players, even senior ones.

So we want a coach that can be close to ALL the players?

Man am I out of touch.

I have completely different ideas of what would make a good candidate.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

Back