Opinion Poll: Ross Lyon as AFC Coach

Do you want Ross Lyon as head coach?

• Total voters

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Then he should have won a flag at St Kilda with a better list.

Remember when the ball bounced away from milne as they were about to kick the winner in the gf!

Down to bad luck he didn't get a flag. A lot closer than Blight ever got at geelong.

In hindsight we got lucky with Blight. He was able to. Hange his style when he came here. Geelong were flat track Bullies under him, couldnt tackle or chase and a rampant drug and booze culture amongst the playing group. His next two clubs he screwed up at.

The games this year, where we smothered our oppistion, dried up thier scoring, the members loved it. We enjoyed the physical brutality.

At freo he cOuld never get enough mature bodies to handle a full season.

He won't get the job anyway, he's a straight shooter, the boys cLub can't stomach that.

We have history, burns was turned down because Pyke gaslighted his way through the interview process, where burns was honest where he saw us at

You can see by the appointments for the review and coaching panel, the boys cLub stronger than ever

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Isn’t that what the development coaches are there for?

Different level of development. He struggles to develop a suitable game plan for AFL players with 0-100 games.

His team have on average 150 games experience.

Dec 4, 2014
Top End of Aussie
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Lyon is a hard one to judge
A lot of negativity from Freo supporters

Sticks with tired old men
Lack of adaption
The modern game has gone past him
Not enough attack in his game plan
High perception of favourite sons v youth

I think most of us have seen this over his journey from the outside
I don’t dislike him as he seems to have been given resources when asked ( said so in his media presser)
Noted as good tactically
He appears a straight shooter

I really don’t know what he could do for the AFC as a head coach though
given where we are at

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
What does that even mean? Where did this come from? Why does this even matter?

We have plenty of scope to have a secondary coach that connects with the young players ... Ross doesn't need to do everything related to the players.

I've heard a lot from past players that say how high they rate Lyon as a coach and leader.

I'm sure young players have developed under Ross and prospered. Such a simplistic pov to say 'he can't develop players'.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

Look at where the players were when his got his best results at St Kilda and then Fremantle.

We are going to have a very inexperienced player group.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
What does that even mean? Where did this come from? Why does this even matter?

We have plenty of scope to have a secondary coach that connects with the young players ... Ross doesn't need to do everything related to the players.

I've heard a lot from past players that say how high they rate Lyon as a coach and leader.

I'm sure young players have developed under Ross and prospered. Such a simplistic pov to say 'he can't develop players'.

So how would you rate Lyon's ability as a list builder during 2016-2019?

This is what has many of us questioning his ability to build a list

2016 - 16th
2017 - 14th
2018 - 14th
2019 - 13th

Most coaches wouldn't even get 4 years with a record like that.

Ross was great when Freo had a premiership caliber squad, but it's hard to argue that the last four years (when he didn't have a premiership caliber list at his disposal) haven't been a complete failure.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
So how would you rate Lyon's ability as a list builder during 2016-2019?

This is what has many of us questioning his ability to build a list

2016 - 16th
2017 - 14th
2018 - 14th
2019 - 13th

Most coaches wouldn't even get 4 years with a record like that.

Ross was great when Freo had a premiership caliber squad, but it's hard to argue that the last four years (when he didn't have a premiership caliber list at his disposal) haven't been a complete failure.
Even more daming look what Brisbane have done in the same period

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I'm torn. Kind of think maybe our players need a no nonsense dude... but absolutely loathe the man and his footy style.
This is me 100%. We need someone strong enough to cut through the BS the club has been wallowing in. We need someone who can demand more from the administration and from the players. He could be that person.

However, everything I've heard about him (and I know a few players who played under him at Fremantle) is not great. He's a nasty, nasty man. He has favourites who can do no wrong and genuinely despises everyone else. You will get a club with a small group of players that are in the inner circle and then the rest who can't stand him. You also get zero development of players.

Unfortunately, I think the bad outweighs the good by a considerable margin.

TexForPM

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
Zegema Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
I actually rate Lyon, but my issue with him coaching us in 2020 is that he's a finisher and not a builder.

He's an elite tactician and knows how to get every drop out of a pre-built squad, but there's massive question marks over his ability to be able to build and develop a list.

Freo gave him four seasons to rebuild their list and in my opinion he failed.

Great coach, but not the right fit for a list that is going to need a substantial rebuild.
Freo have been unlucky in forwards.
Through injuries or inability for players to go to Perth. When they did come they were injured.

Reckon they were unlucky not to make finals with injuries to Lobb and Hogan.

He has blooded a lot of players over the last 2 years.

Not saying I want Ross, but don't reckon people watch many Freo games, they have played a lot of kids and they have had trouble forward balance for about 4 years.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
This is me 100%. We need someone strong enough to cut through the BS the club has been wallowing in. We need someone who can demand more from the administration and from the players. He could be that person.

However, everything I've heard about him (and I know a few players who played under him at Fremantle) is not great. He's a nasty, nasty man. He has favourites who can do no wrong and genuinely despises everyone else. You will get a club with a small group of players that are in the inner circle and then the rest who can't stand him. You also get zero development of players.

Unfortunately, I think the bad outweighs the good by a considerable margin.
He also wants to be the Coach, CEO and List Manager all at the same time and is not great in building relationships within his own footy dept

Some of his press conferences with year were a bit wierd as he talked more about himself then he did the team

TexForPM

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
Zegema Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pros
Has a backline established
Would give s**t to the media
Has no choice but to play kids
He's tactical sound
He would weed out lazy players

Cons
He's had some alleged harrassment claims
He's seen as a slow defence first coach
When he's lost he gets his back up offering very little in post pressers

I'm still 50/50

Reckon he would be better in a mentor head of football role instead with a younger coach.

Would not be upset if we appoint him though.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He also wants to be the Coach, CEO and List Manager all at the same time and is not great in building relationships within his own footy dept

Some of his press conferences with year were a bit wierd as he talked more about himself then he did the team

This is the key for mine, he wants to control everything. You cant do that in this day and age

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
He's not a statue. People develop you know ... Right person wrong time/place happens in every industry.

He would not be the same coach he was at St Kilda or Freo that he will be at Adelaide.

Except he was the EXACT same coach at Fremantle as he was at St. Kilda. He has demonstrated no development.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He's not a statue. People develop you know ... Right person wrong time/place happens in every industry.

He would not be the same coach he was at St Kilda or Freo that he will be at Adelaide.

Says who ??

He stuck to his core beliefs at Fremantle and it didn't work. I somewhat admire that, but if you're stubborn to change to the environment around you then it'll be a slog.

Wouldn't mind him in a director of coaching role but not the main job.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Says who ??

He stuck to his core beliefs at Fremantle and it didn't work. I somewhat admire that, but if you're stubborn to change to the environment around you then it'll be a slog.

Wouldn't mind him in a director of coaching role but not the main job.

Unfortunately, I don’t think Ross would accept a non head coaching position. His ego wouldn’t allow it. He would also start meddling and not let the head coach have final say if he was director of coaching or senior assistant.

Also, I think we need a coach to build from the bottom up, which Ross has been unwilling to do at St Kilda and was incapable of doing at Fremantle.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whatname

Club Legend
Feb 17, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Im not sure if Ross will want to live outside of Melbourne anymore but IMO he is one of the best coaches in the business.

There are a lot of misconceptions about Ross re game style that have been peddled by the media who hate him, especially over here in WA.
He is also disliked by a large number of supporters of other clubs who have been beaten by his sides in the past.

What he does do is develop a game style to suit his squad and more importantly win.

2012-15 he had a bunch of role players with Mcpharlin, Pav and Sandi, the shut down style suited limited players like Suban, DeBoer, Mzungu, Spurr and so on.
Our list management was very poor during this period and Ross has to wear some of this but so does everyone else in the footy department, we also had a CEO who liked to get involved in footy matters. This severely hampered us after we fell off the cliff in 2015.

2017 onwards you could see we were trying to play a more expansive style but didn't always have the playing stocks, the cooked list meant we were playing kids who weren't ready. If we were the Gold Coast or Carlton producing those results it would have been happy days but in a two team town you need to be making finals, especially when the other team is having success.

Fast forward to early this season and when we had Pearce, Taberner, McCarthy and Hogan all playing we played some great football, but injuries killed us in the second half of the season. I think psychologically the players were struggling too as they knew Ross was on the way out.

I think the key with Ross is to have strong recruiting staff and a strong medical team so he can focus on coaching.

It was a terrible decision by my club to sack him and one that was driven by a parochial media over here.
He may have the same problem in Adelaide but if you want someone to galvanise a playing group then Ross is the man.

Apologies if this is not my place to comment just thought I could give some perspective.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Only Jars but he claims Lyon didn’t even want to have a conversation and told us to no

Back