Opinion POLL: Should Eddie McGuire stand down at the end of the year?

Should Eddie McGuire stand down at the end of the year?

• Yes

Votes: 82 56.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 43.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

:drunk::drunk:
It was the Greeks who invented democracy, was it not? Ed is an elected representative. This is democracy at work, not tall poppy syndrome.

True, Ed did not. But Ed appointed the coach who did. And he appointed the footy director who runs the footy department who are 1 and 3. And he is President of the proud footy club who haven't made finals for a while now. Ed is the person responsible to the members for results, and we're not getting the results.

Have a look at what David Koch did at Port Adelaide here for the kind of practical things a President can do - Port seem to have responded well to it.

When Kennett was running Hawthorn he put a rocket up Clarkson, and it didn't seem to do Hawthorn any harm?

Kennett also said in April 2013 that Clarkson should be sacked at the end of that year.

Good call :drunk:

It was the Greeks who invented democracy, was it not? Ed is an elected representative. This is democracy at work, not tall poppy syndrome.

I think we have established that Collingwood FC is not a democracy.

When Kennett was running Hawthorn he put a rocket up Clarkson, and it didn't seem to do Hawthorn any harm?

Kennett says funny things..........he even called for Clarkson's sacking after the Cats game last week! :drunk:

We have a full team and our Coach and players put in that performance last week?? You bastard Eddie! :mad:

My tall poppy comments stand.

I think we have established that Collingwood FC is not a democracy.

:p

Kennett says funny things..........he even called for Clarkson's sacking after the Cats game last week!

Whenever Kennett calls for Clarkson's sacking, Hawks seem to go on and win a Premiership. Heck if they're onto a good thing, why stop?

:drunk::drunk:

Kennett also said in April 2013 that Clarkson should be sacked at the end of that year.

Good call :drunk:

According to Hodge last year at the Heidelberg Presidents lunch I attended it isn't true.

It was just Kennett being a politician.

As per Hodge he said at the Club he was a totally different person to the public Kennett.

Hodge doesn't strike me as someone who makes things up jmac70.

Whenever Kennett calls for Clarkson's sacking, Hawks seem to go on and win a Premiership. Heck if they're onto a good thing, why stop?

Maybe we get him to become Collingwood Prez then.................sack em all and let Kennett sort them out! :p

Ed is a Muppet, but he isn't the coach.
What happens once he leaves? Get another bloke in who will do half as what Eddie can do? The board keeps voting him in for a reason and that's because he has all the connections, he has them all in his pocket. Eddie just needs to keep his mouth shut and not get involved with anything related to the football department. Pert on the other hand I think it's time for him to move on.

On Pixel XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm confused by some having concerns over the club attracting and maintaining sponsors post Ed? If it's on him to do that why do we bother employing people to manage and attract corporate partners and sponsors? This is the essence of why discussion is required about his future because there is a certain section of Collingwood supporters that just don't understand that the club can survive and prosper without his presence. Our brand is strong enough to overcome the loss of a figurehead such as Ed due mostly to his hard work!

Another issue I have is that there is now a generation that doesn't know Collingwood without him in charge which I don't think is a great thing for the club. It isn't a significant issue, but it leads to discussions like this with some not understanding that there will be alternatives out there.

I'm OK with him continuing, but he needs to relenquish some power. If he feels the need to step in and do people's jobs for them that's a sign they need to be replaced. In essence he needs to be more hands off or transition into the CEO role because the status quo isn't helping anyone and has the potential to further tarnish the good work he's done.

FWIW I haven't voted either because I'm another that doesn't see it as black and white.

FWIW I haven't voted either because I'm another that doesn't see it as black and white.

Did you get a phone call also Sco? :p

I thought it was strange Gatto dropped off Anzac cookies this morning! :cool:

Damn you Eddie you better kick straight today! :mad:

What happens once he leaves? Get another bloke in who will do half as what Eddie can do? The board keeps voting him in for a reason and that's because he has all the connections, he has them all in his pocket. Eddie just needs to keep his mouth shut and not get involved with anything related to the football department. Pert on the other hand I think it's time for him to move on.

Ed needs to shut his mouth and not get involved in anything footy dept related you say.

Well he has been!

And the damage is done!

If you do the crime.. you do the time.. you can't just say 'now don't get involved in the footy dept after he's already screwed it up'.

Time to go Ed!!!!

Love the optimisim, we had not got any better in years, different players, on paper should beat anybody, but on the ground, terrible, week after week, year after year, we will not make finals or anywhere near it, we should, but we won't, cannot kick straight enough to win enough games, just go back over last year results, far to many honourable losses, they don't cut it nor get you into finals, I'm fed up to be blatantly honest, we use to be a force and would win a lot of games, now we loose most
I agree. Take me back to 2010/11 when we used to put teams down by 60 points weekly. It's been so long since I've genuinely felt happiness for a Collingwood win. I nearly pulled my hair out in the Sydney game which was there to lose if it wasn't for Hoskin-Elliot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have I think 3 games in 12 days. If we lose tomorrow we will most likely lose the other 2 games as teams do not backup after such short rest periods.
Geelong is a tough unit but last year we managed to pull it off so unless Buckley has made radical changes to the gameplan next week I just cant see it being done.

We'll thats the problem. He shouldn't get involved in the footy department, but can't help think he has trouble not doing so.

21 years..
1 flag..
Financially secure.
Did some great things.
...but nothing in the realm of Hawthorn or Geelong.
Time for a new set of eyes
Frank Costa was a beauty.

To me he and david Smorgan were the best two presidents; did so much with so much dignity and far less ego.

Ed would describe this thread as "internet carping". The only way he moves on is if there is an actual challenge from a credible candidate. I can't see that happening any time soon.
Ed won't ever go in my view, on his own accord.
I think he thinks he and Collingwood is intertwined.

But at least to his credit he retains passion and keeness even after all these years

No he didn't.
But of course his Captains pick did.
Is there a worse expression than "captains pick?"

Started by Julia Gillard continued by Tony Abbott to use this silly expression.
With those two, enough said.

(I do get your post by the way)

Ed won't ever go in my view, on his own accord.
I think he thinks he and Collingwood is intertwined.

But at least to his credit he retains passion and keeness even after all these years
I think Ed wants to go out on a high (on his terms).
He has unfinished business.
Wants to see the the Bucks coaching appointment as a success.
Probably plans to step down after our next flag.
However the clock is ticking & the natives are restless.

I was about to vote YES in the poll, then I received a strange phone call...advising me to either abstain or vote no.

Did the caller say they liked the new conditioner you are using?

According to Hodge last year at the Heidelberg Presidents lunch I attended it isn't true.

It was just Kennett being a politician.

As per Hodge he said at the Club he was a totally different person to the public Kennett.

Hodge doesn't strike me as someone who makes things up jmac70.
Hodge doesn't play the politics either?
Hodge get doesn't make things up?

How did that Round one suspension happen?

Winners write history in general

Hodge doesn't play the politics either?
Hodge get doesn't make things up?

How did that Round one suspension happen?

Winners write history in general

He had no reason to lie IMO......he spoke for over an hour on all things Football and Life.

I get it you don't rate him or Coaches or Hawthorn.

He had no reason to lie IMO......he spoke for over an hour on all things Football and Life.

I get it you don't rate him or Coaches or Hawthorn.
beg your pardon.

Hodge terrific player, elite.
But he's hardly a puritan.
A drunk driver.... but he eats lean cuisine :D
Elite!

I admire Hawthorn, splutter splutter.
Been super successful.
Imagine we had these boys Dunstall, Dermie, Langford, Platten, Jarman
But they had great zones, actually really St Kilda should have been gifted what Hawthorn got, but that's a whole different discussion.

Now coaches.
At one level you are correct, I don't (overly) rate coaches.
But on another level, coaches are important, they must be in charge, lead, set up the whole thing, have authority, be the boss, have football knowledge etc. Ofcourse they do.
If they appear weak eg Neeld, Peter Rhode they won't succeed unless they absolutely fluke it.

But you are right about my view on coaches. I don't overly rate them.
Without good players they are nothing.

In fact we've all read thousands of posts on here, anywhere you read about who is a great coach it's always, the same. The coaches that win flags. It is the definer. Fair enough too.

So flag wins is what makes a coach good to great? Our football only defines it that way.
Amazing in the history of football nobody at the end of their career is much of a coach if they haven't won a flag. Doesn't that surprise you?

Nobody talks up Bob Rose as an example, they won't Ross Lyon, or john Northey either as examples.
In fact the only coach that is talked up to some degree without any flag is Len Smith, brother of Norm. And even then he's lost in the sands of time.

So to sum up, who the hell really knows what makes a great coach, or who is a good coach, it just defaults to premierships. That's how it is, everybody is just pretending they can "judge" a coach, in my view.

Oh, that doesn't make Nathan good or bad, the odds are against him ever being considered worthy, as only flags won would make him good. And that looks unlikely.

And there it is again, 11 goals 16, what hope do we have kicking that rubbish again, 2 goals 8 from set shots, all the stats and spin you that bucks comes out with mean nothing, 16 points are the real issue, until it's addressed, this is the way it is and the bottom of the ladder will be where we are.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was a vote....and you could always do some research.
Go on, you can do it
No such vote ever happened. I don't need to research I was there. At no time did any member vote for the president to make these decisions without process. The president is and always has been a board appointment not the other way around. The last clubs to run like Collingwood were Carlton under Elliot and to a lesser degree Melbourne under Gutnik.

We got what we didn't ask for but what we accepted. If you are happy then good for you.

Keep voting!

Back