List Mgmt. Poll: What's our biggest need?

With one draft selection, what's our biggest need?

• Key defender

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • Forward/ruck

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Small defender

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Small forward

Votes: 14 10.4%
  • Genuine wing

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • Inside midfielder

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Balanced mid

Votes: 14 10.4%
  • Ruck/forward

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Run-with/tagger/hard nut

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • General defender

• General forward

• "Best available"

Votes: 28 20.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough question, there are probably a number of needs that are around equal. Top quality third tall defender, maybe we have one internally? A top wingman, maybe we have them already but they are just a bit raw? A really good small forward, maybe our young guys are stepping up there? Definitely room for a really good onballer. It's hard to say because we have a lot of players on our list who could fill those spots at a high level. Would probably say a top quality onballer but the rest are all pretty close, that is unless some of our players step up.

Tough question, there are probably a number of needs that are around equal. Top quality third tall defender, maybe we have one internally? A top wingman, maybe we have them already but they are just a bit raw? A really good small forward, maybe our young guys are stepping up there? Definitely room for a really good onballer. It's hard to say because we have a lot of players on our list who could fill those spots at a high level. Would probably say a top quality onballer but the rest are all pretty close, that is unless some of our players step up.
Best available then?

Best available then?

It's a really tough question!

Small forwards
We could do with a small forward but we are ok in that area and might be better than we think. I think Honey, Durdin and Owies are pretty good quality however if we get the opportunity to add a really good one we should.

Wingmen
We have been playing without any decent wingmen for a long time now. O'Brian gave us a few good games there at the end of last year so he's potential. I see Kemp and Philp as elite wingmen in the making however are they going to be fit enough for that role? Carroll is another who could also develop into a pretty good player on a wing. So do we fill these holes internally like I hope we can or should we take teenager if a really good one is available?

Third tall defender
This is one I am confident we fill internally. Marchbank is a known commodity who's body is unknown. McGovern has the potential to be elite in this role but again his body is questionable. Kemp could be developed in this role. Plowman is a high quality backup defender who is best 22 for us making this role a need but not urgent. Could Young fit in there, he's more key position but could we make that work? This is probably a hole we fill internally or with a mature age recruit next year.

Onballer
This is our weakest area of the ground. We have one pretty good player. One formally good player who has had two ordinary seasons and the rest aren't great. Lacking in speed, mobility and intensity at the contests I still feel our midfield is the biggest point of call. The teams who keep winning the flag continue to show the footy world that you need a midfield that must be able to play at a high pace and intensity, high level of physicality and must be able to finish their work. Ours hasn't been able to do so. I am hoping that we add Cerra, Stocker, Hewett and maybe Carroll in there and things improve dramatically however is this a premiership onball group? This is probably the area of the field I hold the most doubts so I would be prioritising an onballer.

The next issue is pick 25. Who will be available? In most drafts there are good players in the top 30. Top 30 picks are your prime picks and many premiership sides are built around a lot of picks in this range. Teams tend to pick they eyes out of the top midfielders and key position players by this stage and what is left are kids with plenty of potential who may for whatever reason have not quite broken out yet or have something against them that may or may not be an issue later. There is no point bringing in mediocre players for these positions because we already have that so we must believe who we bring in may be a real quality player.

I would be looking first and foremost for a midfielder who has nice skills and is hard at the contest and plays a high effort game. Would be looking for repeat efforts, high efforts chasing the loose ball and the man and an ability to get to contest quickly. Basically a high intensity midfielder who plays the way we want to play. Wing or onballer it doesn't matter. If that's not there I would be looking for a small forward who has elite speed, is a good finisher, good pressure player and not afraid of physicality. If that's not there then best available for those other positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think we need a 'big moment ' player if we are to progress anywhere in finals. Crippa can do it in the middle but not in front of goals. It might be Walsh, not sure though.

We'll potentially be picking up a player who takes a few years to develop properly, we aren't really plugging current gaps. Best available for me.

Draft best available, trade for needs

Unless there is a slider, which is rare, a mid 2nd pick should have 3-5 players of similar quality.

If one of those 3-5 players is a genuine spine player, I would lean that way.

So, Alleer or Williams would be my choice.

Think Van Rooyen & Bazzo will be gone by that point

Back