POLL: Where do you sit with the current EGM/board spill push?

Where do you sit with the current EGM/board spill push?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A few minutes of my life I'll never get back, I should have learned by now. The way Caroline Wilson reports on this drama makes it even more cringeworthy.

She does raise the valid point about the conflict of interest that Moore and Kelly have, but we all knew this.

Collingwood "news" sells the vomit fountain that is Wilson knows this. The extra clicks she got must have made her smile a little today.
Caro hasn’t revealed anything new, but she has framed the issue correctly, Kelly has long had influence at the club.

While everyone has questioned if Browne is too close McGuire, Kelly has floated under the radar. With Eddie he had a good mate as a decision maker that he could lobby, and if Browne gets control he’ll again have a good mate as a decision maker. Kelly has been good at leveraging these relationships for the benefit of his clients.

I like Kelly, he’s a good egg, but anything he’s backing should be looked at closely and the question should be asked “is this best for the club or best for him and his clients “.

Browne and Korda have the same position on Buckley which is to let Wright decide. The only difference is the Browne ticket has Kelly as a board member, who is Buckley's manager. A conflict of intetest there which favours Bucks, but also appreciating there are ways to manage that. Does that change your thoughts on Browne?
actually their positions are different based on the minimal amount Browne has publicly said. Korda has set up a committee consisting of Murphy, licuria, Anderson and Wright, and they will make the decision. Browne has said he’ll speak to Buckley and Wright and he’ll make the decision, although he’s pretty vague about it all so who knows what process he has in mind, not sure he knows yet.

Caro hasn’t revealed anything new, but she has framed the issue correctly, Kelly has long had influence at the club.

While everyone has questioned if Browne is too close McGuire, Kelly has floated under the radar. With Eddie he had a good mate as a decision maker that he could lobby, and if Browne gets control he’ll again have a good mate as a decision maker. Kelly has been good at leveraging these relationships for the benefit of his clients.

I like Kelly, he’s a good egg, but anything he’s backing should be looked at closely and the question should be asked “is this best for the club or best for him and his clients “.

Agreed, the article did correctly identify the power network as it has existed.

Isn't this kind of obvious though? If Kelly's #1 job for the last few decades has been to negotiate the contracts of the coach and some of our players (including his son) then it stands to reason that this is a red flag.

The way Caro tells it, one might assume that Craig Kelly only manages Collingwood players and only has influence at that particular club?
Caro is on another of her CFC hatchet jobs and she'll do anything to promote division amongst the Pies faithful. Let the EGM sort it out. Let the board be renewed if it will be. Let the coaching situation, the Salary Cap, the make up of the board and everything else get done in its own time.

Caro....there are 17 OTHER clubs for Goodness Sakes! Go try and persecute one of the others for a while....

My problem with the review is that we, the members, had and have no idea about the terms of reference, any of the findings *Note 1, and very little of the recommendations and implementation *Note 2.

Who knows, the same thing may very well have been doomed to have happened with the ‘Do Better’ report if it hadn’t leaked. Now that the club are accountable to the members for the implementation progress, the club is better for it.

I get that being visible to the members can open a can of worms. But that should be the skill of a good board and executive to manage that.

* Note 1: apart from the fact our salary cap was maxed out, but the only reason we knew that is because somebody neglected to draw the boardroom curtains closed.

* Note 2: We can reasonably deduce some of it based on personnel change (Pert stepped down, Guy was brought in to manage list, Davoran was moved on, the club doctor was moved on, a footy director was brought on the board (Licuria) and Sizer was brought on the board)

Why did Pert move on?
He seemed to be a major part of getting us back up, after he left it’s been all down hill.
Now he has done the same thing at Melbourne got them looking like the team to beat, great structure and bums on seats.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s the public perception though. Right now all the evidence points to Browne being more likely to sack Buckley than Korda based on media reporting of the current board chasing Leppa as a senior assistant and Browne chasing Clarkson.

Where has it been suggested that Kelly is on the Browne ticket? My take is that it’s a significant disadvantage to Buckley because it effectively makes his role untenable not to mention Buckley has backed Korda.

Korda went on the record to say that it would be left in the hands of Wright.

That's incorrect. Wright, Anderson, Licuria and Murphy will make the decision on Buckley's future, heres are quote from this article about it:

Korda said the club would stick to its timeline for a decision on Buckley’s coaching future.
“We’ve agreed with Nathan and nothing has changed from the start of the year that we would make a decision on this in the second half of the season,” Korda said.
“So (chief executive) Mark Anderson, (football department boss) Graham Wright, (directors) Paul Licuria and Peter Murphy have formed a group that are dealing with that and we’ll make that announcement in the second half of the season.”

I didn't see much wrong with the Wilson article at all.

That Browne had supposedly reached out to Licuria and Murphy to try and gain their backing was new information to me and if accurate it has at least painted Browne as someone prepared to work with current board members who allegedly forced McGuire to resign as President.

But what is the motivation of those griping folks who want to dump our current board?

Is it punishment for not delivering an AFL Premiership?
Or do they want to replace them with people who are more likely to win a Premiership?

Not everyone wants to dump the current board, learn how to read the room. The bulk just want direction and a club that says 'we want x flags by x time and this is how we plan to achieve that'

Neither camp has given anything, so don't include me with the Browne camp nor the Korda camp, I don't believe anything until we get a clear plan - that won't happen until egm or agm time whichever comes first.

... but in the many threads and thousands of posts on this topic, I am yet to see anybody articulate why they think Jeff Browne or anybody else is more likely to deliver us a Premiership?

As above you're barking up the wrong tree.

Not everyone wants to dump the current board, learn how to read the room. The bulk just want direction and a club that says 'we want x flags by x time and this is how we plan to achieve that'

Well, we do have a President, whose one of his first order of business was to say “We are aiming to play finals this year” and he’s been roundly pilloried for it. Haha, he’s not gunna make that mistake again, now is he?

Not everyone wants to dump the current board, learn how to read the room.

Neither camp has given anything, so don't include me with the Browne camp nor the Korda camp, I don't believe anything until we get a clear plan - that won't happen until egm or agm time whichever comes first.

Agree 100%

Well, we do have a President, whose one of his first order of business was to say “We are aiming to play finals this year” and he’s been roundly pilloried for it. Haha, he’s not gunna make that mistake again, now is he?

Well it was a mistake after a conflicting statement last year wasn't it? IIRC?

What's smells with that stupid comment about finals this is year it's like he doesn't wanna dump the bad news on the fans, like it'd be some sort of shock :drunk: . We already knew we were in the hole after the trade debacle. Don't be so pretentious.

So it's just insulting saying something stupid like that, we're not 5 yo's.

Then there's the appointment of a board member who can't vote. Not to mention vice presiding over all the bs that got us here in the first place - that really grates. Yeah nah, don't trust this Korda bloke as far as a broken tape measure.

Then there's Browne who has only given us 'I want the seat and 4 seats on the board' based on ...............................:shrug:

Until I see a clear, transparent and honest plan from either I'm not really backin either.

What I do hope is that just the threat of an egm is the much needed kick up the sphincter these incompetents need.

I'd like to volunteer to line up all those at fault, gone or not, and shove a pineapple so far up there that they'd poke someone in the eye every time they speak. Would be warranted IMV.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way Caro tells it, one might assume that Craig Kelly only manages Collingwood players and only has influence at that particular club?
Caro is on another of her CFC hatchet jobs and she'll do anything to promote division amongst the Pies faithful. Let the EGM sort it out. Let the board be renewed if it will be. Let the coaching situation, the Salary Cap, the make up of the board and everything else get done in its own time.

Caro....there are 17 OTHER clubs for Goodness Sakes! Go try and persecute one of the others for a while....
That's a laughable response to a very interesting article to be perfectly honest.

Korda went on the record to say that it would be left in the hands of Wright.

That doesn't necessarily mean any more than that Wright will lead the process which is as you'd expect and want given his role at the club.

That doesn't necessarily mean any more than that Wright will lead the process which is as you'd expect and want given his role at the club.
Assume that Wright will forward his recommendation to the board.
Board will vote 3 all split.
Bridie will have the deciding vote.

Looks like the EGM is off , via David Hartley turtlemagpies Twitter

E4AoraOVkAQBp1f

E4AosVWVkAAAnGf

E4AotAFVkAMmZcV

Been told by a mate that Galbally will be the new front man for the petition for the EGM and the trigger will be pulled ASAP.

Been told by a mate that Galbally will be the new front man for the petition for the EGM and the trigger will be pulled ASAP.

Not disputing what you’ve been told …

… but it makes no sense.

Galbally lobbied hard for Ed to stand down, and Galbally got what Galbally wanted.
Galbally also stated that he believes in the importance of board continuity. Launching an EGM runs the very real risk of board discontinuity.

BTW, are you referring to David or Francis? Both wanted Ed gone. I’m assuming you mean David.

… but it makes no sense.

Galbally lobbied hard for Ed to stand down, and Galbally got what Galbally wanted.
Galbally also stated that he believes in the importance of board continuity. Launching an EGM runs the very real risk of board discontinuity.

BTW, are you referring to David or Francis? Both wanted Ed gone. I’m assuming you mean David.

better answer would have been "well my mate told me that galbally reconsidered and decided to buy a lamborghini instead"

The AGM is being bought forward to December this year. This is one of the outcomes of Korda's discussions with Hately. I think it also serves as an attempt from the board to head off an EGM.

well they're not doing it to get their christmas presents early. It's not a bad compromise but it really needs to be in october so the board can be settled to ratify the new coach - unless the new coach is just going to waltz in after new years and take over the reins from harvey..

… but it makes no sense.

This was quoted in April when the announcement about Korda being the new president was made.

Lawyer, David Galbally, who served on the Magpies’ board in the late ’70s and early ’80s, said there was nothing controversial about Korda.

“I think it will be a very nice, quiet changeover of leadership which is very unlike Collingwood,” Galbally said.

“With an ounce of luck, Mark Korda will be accepted across the board.“

Back