POLL: Which nickname do you prefer for the new Gold Coast team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Crow!

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2004
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Ok, there are are lot of threads out there discussing the potential Gold Coast club nicknames --- let's have an actual poll:

I like Marlins. I also don't mind Rays, but not as in sun Rays, more like a shortened version of stingrays but I think these two names will face legal troubles with the two MLB clubs of the same name.

Whever the name Stringray is said I think of thise bloke

BNicholasStingray.jpg

I like Marlins. I also don't mind Rays, but not as in sun Rays, more like a shortened version of stingrays but I think these two names will face legal troubles with the two MLB clubs of the same name.
lol sorry ror's didn't read your post before posting myself :p

Carbon copy :eek:

Mr Crow!

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2004
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows

Was there ever any legal trouble between the Richmond Tigers and the Detroit Tigers?

Was there ever any legal trouble between the Brisbane Lions and the Detroit Lions?

Was there ever any legal trouble between the West Coast Eagles and the Philadelphia Eagles?

Was there ever any legal trouble between the Hawthorn Hawks and the Atlanta Hawks?

I seriously don't know why people get hung up on these 'Legal' issues.

phurry

Senior List
Nov 17, 2007
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GC Blaze and GC United
Carn the mighty Gold Coast Marlins!!
Best one there and would make the best mascot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
I think they missed the obvious one; the Gold Coast Giants, with a jumper that depicts the Gold Coast city skyline.

With Giants, Sharks & Dolphins out of the running, I think the Marlins would be the best alternative.

Mr Crow!

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2004
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
I wonder how they are going to decide on the voting / selection method?

What if there is no choice that gets more than 50% support? GC17 should use preferential voting, to get a consensus decision.

Was there ever any legal trouble between the Richmond Tigers and the Detroit Tigers?

Was there ever any legal trouble between the Brisbane Lions and the Detroit Lions?

Was there ever any legal trouble between the West Coast Eagles and the Philadelphia Eagles?

Was there ever any legal trouble between the Hawthorn Hawks and the Atlanta Hawks?

I seriously don't know why people get hung up on these 'Legal' issues.

Because some of those AFL teams had those mascots before some of those American teams ever existed, plus those were the days where everyone didnt sue each other for nothing.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Because some of those AFL teams had those mascots before some of those American teams ever existed, plus those were the days where everyone didnt sue each other for nothing.

That's not why at all. You don't know what you are talking about.

How were the South’s dragons allowed to go ahead when St.George exists? And Sandringham, which is in the same city?

It's because IT DOESNT MATTER. No one can copyright an noun, and unless Sandringham and St.George could come up with a legitimate reason why their market identity could be compromised, South’s had every right to use the Dragon moniker.

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
gc17 still say they're open to more suggestions btw. and i think they would've got the message by now that guards and ironmen are terrible

May 23, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SwansCrowsPortFreoGCGWS
Carn the mighty Gold Coast Marlins!!
Best one there and would make the best mascot.

Absolutely agree Mr phurry. Marlins leap high. They have a menacing swordlike snout. They're unique to Ossie marketing (bigtime). They can be introduced on PA's as the "Snarling Marlins". :thumbsu:

On the other hand, stingrays look slimy, and do nothing but flap about underwater, and kill people with their tail spike, even much loved Qld identities. Enough said? :thumbsdown:

Back