Prediction Poll - Who will be our highest rated Rising Star? 2023 Edition

Who will be our highest rated Rising Star in AFL Season 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t know Wickzki,

You’re a lot more up on the modern elements of the game. But it seems to me that wing is a different position now to even when Rhys Palmer and Lewis Taylor were around. It feels like there are more layers to it than there were back then? Particularly in terms of transition football.

That may well be true but playing well in a backline is something that tangibly comes from time together. You'll find that those that do well are those that have been trained for specific roles. For example, I believe this is why the Swans do so well with fringe players. Someone gets hurt and they have a player purpose designed to take that role.

I also believe that it's easier to have a one off good match on a wing than it is a defensive position. Opposition haven't had a chance to scout you out of the game, etc. So you rack up your 15+ disposals and maybe kick a goal which some weeks is easily enough to win a nomination (especially if it comes in a win and/or you haven't done it before, it stands out). I think this is a part of the reason why so many mids have one good purple patch of form but become unable to duplicate or replicate that form.

Surely it's between Carroll and Hollands for 2023.

Carroll has the advantage insofar that he's entering his third year in the system. Amazing to think he's not 20 yet.
Got his first taste of senior football in 2022 and didn't look out of place, though whilst many are bullish, at this stage I'd say he's long odds to cement a spot in the senior side in 2023.

Hollands has a clearer path IMO to a spot in the senior side. He's an inside out midfielder though you'd think if he features at AFL level early on it'll be outside, he just doesn't have the body to compete on the inside in year one.
Acres will take one wing but there's no reason why Hollands can't compete for the other with the likes of Cottrell and O'Brien.

We're in absolutely no need to rush Hollands but with his running power you'd have to think he's very chance of making the wing position his own as early as his first season.

Can't see any of the others coming close to these two in 2023.

I'm not sure any will play enough games to receive a nomination based on their body of work, so my two predictions are either Carroll with a 19p/2 goal game or Binns with a 25+ possession game.

Back